USian Mid-term elections - Here we go again!

you have a funny wording for "illegal ballots"

if laws are bad, then yes change them. but breaking them is breaking them until they are changed
Voter fraud in the US is minimal to none and recently most of the planned fraudulent activity has been committed by Republicans. Getting more people to vote is a much bigger problem.

Sample paper ballot from 2022 in NM. Worked just fine.

Yeah electing judges lol

Beyond that, the main problems there would be that it doesn't scale to more candidates easily, and only works for first past the post elections, not for proper modern electoral systems. Would be very hard to do multi-member districts or even preferential voting systems like this.

Last edited:
Voter fraud in the US is minimal to none and recently most of the planned fraudulent activity has been committed by Republicans. Getting more people to vote is a much bigger problem.
illegal ballot =/= fraud but they're still not legal

you have a funny wording for "illegal ballots"

if laws are bad, then yes change them. but breaking them is breaking them until they are changed
What do you think an "illegal ballot" is? Can you supply some examples? If people cast a vote it should be counted.

Is this an admission that you also would have turned over escaped slaves if this were 1855?
Oh totally. That's what I always say, born in the wrong century.

Oh totally. That's what I always say, born in the wrong century.

I don't believe that of you, of course, but am struggling to find another interpretation of your comment. Do you not believe there is a point at which the law becomes sufficiently evil that it becomes a positive duty to disobey it and indeed to thwart its enforcement?

I don't think the various restrictions on voting today meet that standard, but still, it seems a bit strange for a soi dissant "libertarian" to say that people should be stripped of the right to vote because they failed to correctly navigate government red tape.

That is a pain in the ass, the red tape. The essence of Jim Crow. What contested ballot rule is essentially slavery again? Ballot rules, in general, seem a pretty useful thing. Bureaucracy, when it works, grinds capriciousness fine.

illegal ballot =/= fraud but they're still not legal
Signature checking is a farce. When I registered to vote in NM 32 years ago my signature looked 100% different than it does now. If anyone looked, they would say the current one is fraudulent. Over the years I'd guess I've had at least 4 very different signatures. the same goes for my wife, except that now, because of physical problems she can hardly sign her name at all.

Declaring a ballot illegal because a person put the wrong date on a ballot is equally foolish. Why does such a thing matter? The date that a person fills out the ballot is irrelevant to votes made.

i am incapible of making my signature consistent, other than the fact that if you can read it it's definitely fake
mainly 'cause i've forgotten how to cursive write yet i use cursive writing for my signature.

Yeah that just sounds like a means of voter suppression.

Declaring a ballot illegal because a person put the wrong date on a ballot is equally foolish. Why does such a thing matter? The date that a person fills out the ballot is irrelevant to votes made.
getting ballot to place it needs to be counted by or before day of the vote isn't unreasonable. if it's such a matter of competence that states are legit worried, allow mailing earlier

Signature checking is a farce.
it's not hard to make a new signature before the time of match check

i wasn't claiming fraud, but you're making a good case for it in rejecting signature match audits

Yeah that just sounds like a means of voter suppression.
illegal votes should, in fact, be suppressed. the reason for that should be self evident

What is an illegal vote?

They do seem to object to recounts and law pertaining to votes potentially being miscast. Then freak out when people become election judges. :mischief:

it's not hard to make a new signature before the time of match check
What does this mean? Sounds like more hoop-jumping that causes legitimate votes to be invalidated.

I'm actually on the side of asking for a bit more checks before voting compared to what the US is currently doing, but that can only be your position if you're also in favor of before doing that making election day a national holiday (or just putting it on a sunday like normal countries do), and adding thousands (tens of thousands ?) of polling stations across the US. Then you can expect people to vote on election day.

Top Bottom