Using AA properly...am I missing something?

Skwurl

Chieftain
Hi there,

So basically, I can't figure out how AA is even remotely usefull in the late game of Civ V. I've literally had 6 mobile SAM's surrounding a city, and every time, an atomic bomber is able to fly above the city and drop a nuke...all without one missile engaging the aircraft.

Also, when a stealth bomber bombs the city, maybe one or two of the 6 SAM's will engage. Is this because of the stealth perk?

W.T.F

Is this going to be addressed in the new patch?

Hi there,

So basically, I can't figure out how AA is even remotely usefull in the late game of Civ V. I've literally had 6 mobile SAM's surrounding a city, and every time, an atomic bomber is able to fly above the city and drop a nuke...all without one missile engaging the aircraft.

Also, when a stealth bomber bombs the city, maybe one or two of the 6 SAM's will engage. Is this because of the stealth perk?

W.T.F

Is this going to be addressed in the new patch?

I'm not totally sure if atomic bombers can be shot down at all? And the latter part is definitely thanks to stealth

The nuke bomber can not be intercepted.

Stealth bombers have an evasion bonus of 100. They are difficult to intercept and take less damage when they are intercepted.

You just happened to hit upon the 2 examples where AA is ineffective.

The nuke bomber can not be intercepted.

Stealth bombers have an evasion bonus of 100. They are difficult to intercept and take less damage when they are intercepted.

You just happened to hit upon the 2 examples where AA is ineffective.

Nuke bombers can't be shot down?

Man, that is lame.

Any mods out there that address AA behavior?

OK, I have to admit it. I am still unsure what exactly the AA-missions of a fighter type unit do. Usually my games are over before I can use them effectively.

Aside from the normal attacking mode, a fighter has two kinds of interception missions. I still don't get the difference. Can someone help me out please?

I guess this question is in the interest of the OP as well.

OK, I have to admit it. I am still unsure what exactly the AA-missions of a fighter type unit do. Usually my games are over before I can use them effectively.

Aside from the normal attacking mode, a fighter has two kinds of interception missions. I still don't get the difference. Can someone help me out please?

I guess this question is in the interest of the OP as well.

If you mean 'Air Sweep' vs 'Intercept', I think of it as 'fighter sweep' of an area vs 'base defense scramble.'

Usually my games are over before I can use them effectively.

So true... And the AI isn't too brilliant with managing aircraft. However, the graphics on the fighter combat is pretty cool, with fighters dogfighting, destroyers and AA shooting and cities firing all simultaneously. So if you run into it, it's pretty awesome.

thx @all for the advice.
Maybe I will try it someday with a ME start. Modern Warfare looks promising indeed (IF AI can handle it... but yeah, that's another story...)

But for now it is patch time (hopefully...)

Air sweep an area before you send bombers in so that the bombers don't get intercepted. It's an offensive tactic used to draw out enemy fighters who are in intercept mode.

So basically, intercept -- defensive; air sweep -- offensive.

Another thing to add about AA, AA ground units can only intercept one plane a turn but still must obey 1upt. On the other hand, there can be several planes on one tile. Although I'd question the wisdom of anyone who builds a lot of planes, it's something to keep in mind if you see your opponent building a lot of planes.

Top Bottom