Using Fire to Clear Forest/Jungle

JayThomas

Warlord
Well, set my surrounding forest ablaze. Now, when burnt forest appears, I can't do anything with it. So, do I need a water mage to put the fire out first or what?:blush:

burnt forest will change back to new forest after a while, which will then turn back to normal forests.

You need Bronze working to remove Burnt Forests or New Forests (I just noticed that the Remove Forest Build order doesn't work for new forests, but it does for burnt forests and Bronze Working still allows you to build improvements over/remove new forests), the same as to remove normal forests. Thus, using fires to clear forests makes no sense. You can still get Bronze Working sooner than Sanitation though, so clearing Jungles this way does make sense.

What, you need to cut down the burnt forest too? I'm pretty sure I at least used to be able to just build right over it, though it would regrow with time if left there.

I'm not sure, but I think you can still build improvements directly in Flames, and let forests grow back underneath. Unless you are Clan or Infernals, this means having lots of workers wait on a smoking tile waiting for it to catch fire. I say a lot, because chances are the fire will go out and turn to a burnt forest before a single worker could finish, and once the Burnt forest is there the build order will be canceled (or the burnt forest will be removed, if you already have Bronze Working)

Regarding forests:

You can build in flames but not in smoke. You cannot build in flames and smoke (very rarely, this will inturrupt a build). If the fire goes out before you finish the cottage, the forest is removed (or perhaps you stop building, if you do not have bronzeworking).

The problem is, if your worker(s) cannot move into fire, they must be waiting in the smoking tile for it to catch.

The bigger problem is, it takes forever to get blaze and it takes forever for blaze to cause a fire, so building forest cottages via fire is only a consolation prize for a neighborly Acheron or 'ring of fire' caster.

EDIT: hmm, I should have finished reading Mag's post before making mine. Perhaps it helps to make things more clear anyway.

One other thing: if you put out the flames with Spring before they burn out and change to burnt forest, you're left with an entirely clear tile. Therefore, using blaze to put out fires might work out if you've for some reason rushed KotE or got it from villages/graveyards.

Also: Keep fires the hell away from unique features! Because Smoke is an improvement and destroys improvements in tiles it spreads to, it's possible for any unique feature that's in a forest or jungle to be destroyed by smoke (the spread mechanic doesn't avoid permanent improvements, at least not as of version .31; not sure if that was fixed recently).

Oh, and if you are against the elves, laugh. Laugh a lot. And burn everything they own to the ground. ^_^

Also: Keep fires the hell away from unique features! Because Smoke is an improvement and destroys improvements in tiles it spreads to, it's possible for any unique feature that's in a forest or jungle to be destroyed by smoke (the spread mechanic doesn't avoid permanent improvements, at least not as of version .31; not sure if that was fixed recently).

What happens if the Ring of Carcer is burned? Does Brigit disappear?

The ring of carcer is usually found on snow tiles where there generally aren't any forests. So burning the ring of carcer is not going to be an issue.

The ring of carcer is usually found on snow tiles where there generally aren't any forests. So burning the ring of carcer is not going to be an issue.

To answer the question, though: Nothing. The Ring of Carcer itself is purely graphical. If it were to burn away, Brigit would remain, would still be capturable, and you'd still need to be level 15 to enter the tile.

I just finished a game (0.32e) with the pyre on my doorstep, and even though the surrounding forest was on fire for ~50 turns, the pyre never smoked, so I think the team may have fixed the unique improvement burning down issue.

It was a jungle on a hill, with 6 (of 8) surrounding tiles forest or jungle, the other two being a peak and a bare hill. I don't know if fire has a reduced chance of crossing a river (it should) but there was a river going 'round the hill...

To answer the question, though: Nothing. The Ring of Carcer itself is purely graphical. If it were to burn away, Brigit would remain, would still be capturable, and you'd still need to be level 15 to enter the tile.

Thats true unless someone manages to scorch it before she spawns. That pretty much means they must do so during the first turn of the game. I doubt they could manage to get adepts and priests of the leaves to plant a forest and set if on fire by then, especially since these units would have to reach level 15 first and because bloom takes a couple turns.

Actually, even the first turn of the game wouldn't be fast enough. The bUnique tag seems to alter how units spawn; any improvement with bUnique set and a spawn type set will start the game with one of that unit on it. Barbatos exists from turn zero, and in my mod mod I have the Letum Frigus spawning Beastmen, and it always starts the game with a Beastman on it.

Are you sure? I've seen the improvement before he spawned on it before. I usually play advanced start games, and when I'm unlucky enough to have it in my area I see an unoccupied sepulcher until I end the first turn. Well, I guess you call that the 0th turn, since you aren't allowed to actually do anything until it is over anyway. You can cheat though and place a unit whose moves are not already over from the start, and try casting the spells with them. Of course, you might as well just remove the Ring of Carcer directly then...

Top Bottom