Using Original Units For Reference?

MookieNJ

Noob
Hi all ... I'm very noob when it comes to modding, so please pardon my ignorance.

I was trying to look up some of the original Civ4 units' artwork as a reference for a mod I've been planning. However, in my folder:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Art\Units

I only have subdirectories for Bomber, Caravel, Frigate, Galleon, Galley, Gunship, MachineGun, Scenario, Submarine, and Unique.

Where are the rest of the units? My game runs fine, all the units are there and function normally :). Thanks a lot!

MookieNJ said:
Hi all ... I'm very noob when it comes to modding, so please pardon my ignorance.

I was trying to look up some of the original Civ4 units' artwork as a reference for a mod I've been planning. However, in my folder:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Art\Units

I only have subdirectories for Bomber, Caravel, Frigate, Galleon, Galley, Gunship, MachineGun, Scenario, Submarine, and Unique.

Where are the rest of the units? My game runs fine, all the units are there and function normally :). Thanks a lot!

They're there, just hiding :p

Check out this thread. There's a utility that you can unpack all of the art files that were typically just packed together (and unpacked when the game was run).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136023

You need to unpack them. There's a tutorial around that tells you exactly how to do it. It's been 8 months since I did it so I can't tell you without screwing you up. ;)

No need to apologize for the ignorance. I think I've asked plenty of ignorant questions and this isn't one. :D

Gerikes beats me to the woodelf position again!

But his answer is better.

Another option is to download stuff like Rabbit, White's new units, or Amra's ALH pack or CIV Gold, etc.

Those all have units that have already been reskinned, so you can work off those without having to unpack existing units, and much of the work may be done already, depending on what you what to do.

The Unit Graphics thread has a tonne of units and you may find what you want right away.

Top Bottom