Using still pics for leaders will be faster on performance?

Caveman2Cosmos went to static pictures for leaders because it

- reduced the size of the mod (download) - main reason

- improved mod load times (slightly)

- may have reduced times during turns

- has no effect on safes as far as I know, neither size of load time​

Agreed. But it does reduce the time between turns when the Leader is about to appear to you via Diplomacy. From what I've read, the graphics for the LH are loaded each time it happens, not at the start of the game.

For me, I like animated LH as they are. I almost never like the modifications done to them to create "new" LH. In that case, when possible, I prefer to have static LH.

General answer regarding xml and savegame size: when something related to xml is saved, it is usual the type. However what is actually saved is the index of the type in the xml file, meaning it is just an int. On load, the game reads an int and then it use the xml file in question to figure out what that int mean. Some mods can save the type string instead of int to make savegames resistant to xml changes, but the fundamental principle is the same.

Sometimes cached xml data is saved in vanilla. The cache is of fixed savegame size regardless of xml settings. The issue why I don't like this approach is that it prevents xml changes to affect existing units/cities etc while new ones are affected, causing a weird mix. This can be solved by modding savegame code to recalculate the cache on load, but that's not the topic here.

Since both type references and caches are fixed size regardless of xml setup, it is quite hard to change something in xml, which affects savegame size or performance in saving/loading. The exception is saving arrays, like an array of promotions for a unit. This array will use twice as much disk space if you have twice as many promotions in xml.

This is true for most if not all xml files, including LHs.

Unlike savegame code, I haven't really looked into runtime LH code, but I trust what is already written here, partly due to who said it and partly because it fits what I would predict if I should take a guess.

It is the loading of the art not the XML that cause a slight save in game load times. The static being smaller than the animated. Also I am not talking about loading save games but loading the mod.

Also I am not talking about loading save games but loading the mod.
I get that and your answer is fine. However...

will the performances,
or size of the save games will be lower/better?
The first post asked about savegames. It seems unrelated, but since the question was asked, it would appear it's not common knowledge to everybody what affect savegame size and what doesn't. I more or less just focused on this single sentence and replied to that one.

Also regarding savegame performance: it's not something you really should consider because the performance is good. It just takes the memory and forwards it to the exe, which in turn converts it to a bytestream, which it saves uncompressed. It's hard to save faster than that. It does create big files though.

I have considered using zlib or some other free compression, but it would effectively be writing a front end to saving, which likely means rewriting every single line of savegame code. I'm not that eager to reduce file size. Also I kind of like the fact that savegames can be read with a hex editor in case you wonder what it is doing.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it seemed better than making a new identical thread.
I'm looking for a mod that uses still images for the leaders? I used to play one years ago, but can't find it.
I want to copy the XML and adapt LoR to do the same.

FFH does it as well if you need a comparison.

Does anyone know where the leaderhead data is in Legends of Revolution?

Does anyone know where the leaderhead data is in Legends of Revolution?

[...\LoR\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4LeaderheadInfos] for the main meat of the leaderheads, [...\LoR\Assets\XML\Art\CIV4Art_Defines_Leaderhead] if you're more curious about how the art works. I'd def reccommend the civ4 modki for reference: http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Civ4_Modding_Tutorials

Top Bottom