Smolensk grows: 2
I found a barb city - !QE@#$^#$^

Turn 197 (6) (1360 AD)
Novgorod finishes: Catapult
Yekaterinburg's borders expand
Yakutsk's borders expand
Yekaterinburg begins: Granary
Contact made: Spanish Empire
Bella!! And we are in front of her in score!

Turn 198 (7) (1370 AD)
Novgorod begins: Swordsman
While attacking, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Barbarian Warrior
Moscow grows: 11
Moscow finishes: Catapult
St. Petersburg finishes: Catapult
Novgorod finishes: Swordsman
Yaroslavl' finishes: Catapult
Yekaterinburg grows: 6
Oh, this is interesting ... JC has a Caravel (hence optics) but he is just fooling around and not zooming around the world like our two are. Did I mention hat the Caravels have scouts on them. I dropped a scout off with Bella to, well, scout out her land.

Turn 199 (8) (1380 AD)
Moscow begins: Catapult
St. Petersburg begins: Catapult
Novgorod begins: Catapult
Yaroslavl' begins: Swordsman
Yaroslavl' begins: Galley
St. Petersburg begins: Galley
Novgorod finishes: Catapult
Rostov finishes: Courthouse
Yekaterinburg finishes: Granary
Yakutsk finishes: Galley
Smolensk finishes: Lighthouse

Turn 200 (9) (1390 AD)
Yekaterinburg begins: Catapult
Yakutsk begins: Courthouse
Smolensk begins: Library
Novgorod begins: Commerce - the logger doesn't give this message so I am not sure if it is Novgorod or not. Our military build up is starting to hit the treasure - hence the switch to building gold. We need to start using these units. There is a stack on our NW shore and a bunch of galleys being built or heading that way. I think they make very nice troop transport - don't you?

Turn 200 (10) (1390 AD)
St. Petersburg finishes: Galley
Yakutsk grows: 5
St. Petersburg begins: Galley
I finally have some units near the barb city - axe v archer on hill ... 29% odds for barb - no thx. I move a cat down there to help.
Catapult promoted: City Raider I

Well, this round I built up our military and sent Caravel E and W. The W'n one still has a scout on board while the E'n one's scout was dropped off in Bella's land.

Good set of turns ruff, nice move on cancelling ob w/ Jules, I didnt even think of that :goodjob:

This is my have it. I'll be playing the turns tonight when I get home and get the kids to bed.

A few questions for the group:

1) Seeing the house on the hill fo the barb city means it's probably going to be a 2. Do we want to keep the barb city or raze it? It's near iron, has some hills and water, and would fight fog, but maintinence and growth will definitely be a problem short term.

2) I assume during my set of turns I should prepare us for an invasion of JC?

3) I don't have my civilopedia in front of me....... does civil service give us any variant mandated stuff? I want to make sure I move to it when the tech comes through.

Along the lines of exerting our Communist ways, I guess we'll have to make a run at JC sooner than later. If my memory serves me right, he has some nice production cities on his land.

Thoughts about the next 10 turns and beyond?

The barb city is size 2 and guarded by 2 archers. JC has iron so he will have his UU.

Umm, FigMan I think I'm up now... Or did the order change somewhere?

Guys, I'm going to have to take a pass. My game locks up every time I try to get past the first turn, with any saved game I try. This is new for me playing CIV IV, so I might need a little time to fix it.

Sorry for the delay.

Here's all thats good and happy:

Yup, we met a bunch of nice folks, and are just one move away from circumnavigation. (so next player needs to just move the two caravels closer and wait a turn for the fun!).

Everyone hates Gahndi, so I did not trade at all with him. No sense in ticking off the other 3 leaders that dislike him! No one really liked JC all that much, and no one has even heard of Isabella. So yeah, JC is going down.

Near the start of my turns, an advisor tells me the following:

That's a good sign that we should be moving on JC soon I think.;)

I raized the southern barb city... now why did someone leave a catapult on a long goto order when they passed off the save? The cat wasn't needed, and its just bad form (so I thought) to leave any unit on goto orders when you pass off. There were quite a few units on gotos...

In 1470, it was finally time (ie I had enough troops on Galleys ready to go) to end JCs view of the world. I demanded all his gold (10g) and he gave it to us! Well such a sign of weakness could only mean we should declare war. We did. I wiped out his galley with settler. We captured Arretium losing two suicide cats and our double city attack swordsman - Arretium is already out of revolt btw.

On JC's home island... we haven't taken any towns down yet, but we have repulsed one counterattack and our cats have reduced the defenses. Another set of four cats just arrived and should promote to City Raider to reduce the formidable defenses (longbow in a city on a hill):

We've got one crossbowman on the galley ready to unload next turn.

I used our Great Enginner to get us within a turn of Engineering - allowing us to move units on roads faster.
I used the Great Artist that popped to get us Theology - we can revolt to Theocracy as the people require this turn.
I discovered or traded for:
Meditation, Drama, Civil Service, Feudalism
and we're 8 turns away from Guilds (mmm knights)

We're pretty much caught up with the world in terms of tech now, and no chance of founding a religion. Once we switch to Theocracy out godless state will be perfect. I'd highly suggest a revolt to Vassalage and Theocracy right away to get our units as experienced as possible. We only just came out of the revolt lag for switching to Bureacracy when it was discovered.

Our intrepid Explorers have given us a better image of the world:

And here's our state:

The TurnLog:
Spoiler :

Turn 200 (1400 AD)
Novgorod begins: Crossbowman
Moscow finishes: Catapult
Novgorod's borders expand
Yaroslavl' finishes: Galley

Turn 201 (1410 AD)
Moscow begins: Crossbowman
Yaroslavl' begins: Library
St. Petersburg finishes: Galley

Turn 202 (1420 AD)
St. Petersburg begins: Crossbowman
Contact made: French Empire
Contact made: Chinese Empire
User comment: Well, We meet Mao and Louis. Both are techs ahead of us, but behind in score!
Horse Archer promoted: Combat I
Horse Archer defeats (2.58/6): Barbarian Archer
Axeman loses to: Barbarian Archer (0.72/3)
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Barbarian Archer
Razed Scythian
User comment: Auto raze that barb city.
Yekaterinburg finishes: Catapult
Vladivostok grows: 3

Turn 203 (1430 AD)
Tech learned: Meditation
Tech learned: Drama
Yekaterinburg begins: Market
Yekaterinburg begins: Crossbowman
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
Horse Archer promoted: Flanking I
Swordsman promoted: City Raider I
Novgorod begins: Theatre
Tech learned: Civil Service
Novgorod grows: 9
Vladivostok finishes: Granary
Smolensk grows: 2
Contact made: Indian Empire

Turn 204 (1440 AD)
Research begun: Feudalism
Vladivostok begins: Theatre
User comment: We could pick up Feudalism from Gahndi, but then Mao and Louis would nails us for trading with worst enemy...

Turn 205 (1450 AD)
Contact made: Arabian Empire
User comment: We could pick up Fuedalism from Saladin, but hes the leader right now... and I don't want him getting CIvil Service...
User comment: but others have it... so I'll take the deal while its there.
Tech learned: Feudalism
User comment: so Gahndi hates us now!
Research begun: Guilds
Moscow finishes: Crossbowman
St. Petersburg finishes: Crossbowman

Turn 206 (1460 AD)
Moscow begins: Theatre
St. Petersburg begins: Theatre
User comment: Ravenna's borders popped, so its time to push back!
Ling Lun (Great Artist) born in Moscow
Novgorod finishes: Theatre
Yaroslavl' finishes: Library

Turn 207 (1470 AD)
Novgorod begins: Longbowman
Yaroslavl' begins: Harbor
Tech learned: Theology
User comment: 2 turns until we can revolt to Theocracy!
User comment: JC has worn out his welcome, its time to teach him a lesson
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Roman Worker
Catapult promoted: Barrage I
Catapult loses to: Roman Crossbowman (5.04/6)
Catapult loses to: Roman Crossbowman (3.12/6)
Swordsman loses to: Roman Crossbowman (2.04/6)
Swordsman defeats (3.84/6): Roman Archer
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Roman Crossbowman
Captured Arretium (Julius Caesar)
Galley loses to: Roman Galley (0.10/2)
Galley defeats (2.00/2): Roman Galley
Novgorod finishes: Longbowman
Swordsman defeats (1.20/6): Roman Longbowman

Turn 208 (1480 AD)
Swordsman promoted: City Raider II
Swordsman promoted: Combat I
Swordsman promoted: Cover
Research begun: Engineering
Moscow grows: 12
Moscow finishes: Theatre
St. Petersburg finishes: Theatre
Yekaterinburg finishes: Crossbowman
Bantu grows: 2
Islam founded in a distant land

Turn 209 (1490 AD)
Moscow begins: Maceman
St. Petersburg begins: Longbowman
Yekaterinburg begins: Theatre
User comment: Islam FIDAL
Tech learned: Engineering
Yaroslavl' finishes: Harbor

Turn 210 (1500 AD)
Research begun: Guilds
Yaroslavl' begins: Market
Arretium begins: Theatre
Longbowman promoted: City Garrison I
User comment: We're one turn away from Circumnavigation!
User comment: Novgorod is on Wealth to keep our economy ticking, but could build Hagia Sofia (or try to more like)

Enjoy!

The Save File:

Isn't Theocracy a bit useless without a state religion? It's expensive but gives no benefit, unless I'm very much mistaken.

Its in our variant rules to adopt it as soon as its available. Plus it will keep any religion spreading to our cities, and we get the xp bonus for new military units.

bobrath said:
Yup, we met a bunch of nice folks, and are just one move away from circumnavigation. (so next player needs to just move the two caravels closer and wait a turn for the fun!).
I raized the southern barb city... now why did someone leave a catapult on a long goto order when they passed off the save? The cat wasn't needed, and its just bad form (so I thought) to leave any unit on goto orders when you pass off. There were quite a few units on gotos...
I think you already have the +1 for circumnavigating the globe. You don't need the units together (actually, you don't need any units), you just need to have a map that exposes all longatudes.

RE the goto's - that was me - sorry. I clucked on the barb city as the prob of victory was low (<30%) and thought a cat for some colateral was required. Re the others - I think they were just units heading towards the staging area. I always have units on long gotos in my private game and I am trying to break the habit in my SGs - any suggestions on that?

Re the game - good work. Did we take down the JC city on our island?

ruff_hi said:
I think you already have the +1 for circumnavigating the globe. You don't need the units together (actually, you don't need any units), you just need to have a map that exposes all longatudes.

RE the goto's - that was me - sorry. I clucked on the barb city as the prob of victory was low (<30%) and thought a cat for some colateral was required. Re the others - I think they were just units heading towards the staging area. I always have units on long gotos in my private game and I am trying to break the habit in my SGs - any suggestions on that?

Re the game - good work. Did we take down the JC city on our island?

It may look like our map exposes all the longitudes, but we've got one sliver left. Missed it by >< that much.

I only use goto's that are shorter then then turns remaining in my turn. That way I still have the convience of gotos, but there's no chance of passing along tothe next person.

Yeah, we took down the local JC city (Arretium) in the very first turn of war. Captured 116 gold for it as well I think. That is helping our research (60% at a deficit). If we can continue to capture (and pillage anything north of the capture line) then we can research at a deficit. I'd forgotten how much monasteries help early research!

Also with Theaters now available, we can again have our new cities have culture growth (since no religion will ever be available).

I'm not sure how Theocracy will work with no relgion in a city and with "No Religion" as our state religion. I hope it results in an exp boost, but I'm not certain.

Great set of turns Bobrath!

Just out of curiosity, how soon into your turn set did you declare? I was trying to figure out, well before the game kept crashing, when to jump on JC.

Looks like Ghandi might be our next target, looking at the conquest line and the current diplomatic situation.

1470 - so 6/7 turns in depending on how you count. His culture from the north island had just popped and my two extra galleys had just arrived. It was really more about waiting for the galleys to arrive then anything else. I wanted to drop a big enough force on JC's doorstep that he wouldn't be able to push us back into the sea.

We may wish we had better city attack units cause those longbows will chew up our swordsmen. Double promotions will help (as will the +1 road movement from Engineering - we've got a wide continent!)

Gahndi may be universally hated and the lowest on the totem pole, but Isalbella is isolated. We can't settle on her lands anywhere, but we can level that island (and perhaps as other civs settle they'll get border tensions with one another). Course attacking Gahndi should lead to better relations for "joint military struggle". Wait until we're asked to join (better bonus) AND we have no way of getting combat units over to anyone else yet!!!

We'll be able to cap cities from Saladin and Gahndi for sure, possibly Louis.

First things first, take JC down as hard as we can. Don't be afraid to pillage resources in areas that we won't be able to settle. It will slow down any future civs AND profit our treasury.

FigMan are you going to be able to take your turn now?

Top Bottom