USSR Like it or not?

Do you Like the USSR?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian Soviet

Chieftain
Yeah it was the best thing the Earth has ever seen.

And this is a beautiful discussion thread.

And my mother's a virgin.

Mirc, you can't be Jesus! That role goes to Lenin! :rolleyes:

Old school communists should hate the Soviet Union if they truly are old-school communists.

That being said, they were the scum of the Earth and still are. Russia has not progressed in hundreds of years, we should crush it.

Mirc, you can't be Jesus! That role goes to Lenin! :rolleyes:

I meant my father, comrade, sorry, didn't realize the connection with that character! I'm confused at this hour only because our beloved unique party is so beautiful that it serves both as a mother and a father for me, in the same time.

The USSR was OK at the very beginning (before they banned all the other parties, which yes, technically happened before the establishment of the Soviet Union), and wasn't that bad under Lenin, and it was on the right track at the very end when a drunkard uses his stand on a tank to cause the whole thing to come crashing down. If there was any justice in the Universe, the USSR would still be around (perhaps minus a few Republics and definitely minus its Eastern European satellites) with Gorbachev going down in history as the man who turned the USSR into a model of a social democracy and enjoying a pleasant retirement with one of his proteges at the helm. (I exaggerate my position a bit, but you get my point).

it was pretty badass

I voted no, but one thing I do miss about the USSR is their national anthem. I have no idea what the words were, but I thought it was great music. I also think it was a shame that it collapsed at a time when it looked as if it might have been heading in the right direction. Of course we have no idea how far that would have gone.

I voted no, but one thing I do miss about the USSR is their national anthem. I have no idea what the words were, but I thought it was great music. I also think it was a shame that it collapsed at a time when it looked as if it might have been heading in the right direction. Of course we have no idea how far that would have gone.

I do admit the anthem was pretty sick, i think the best anthems ever are/were USSR's, Poland's(i like the rythem, i'm not basing it on my being Polish. :p) and Germany's.

But by "heading in the right direction" i'm not sure how the circumstances were in the USSR, but the years in the 80's were the WORST for us, and the rest of east bloc.

The current Russian national anthem is the Soviet one with different words.

The USSR was OK at the very beginning (before they banned all the other parties, which yes, technically happened before the establishment of the Soviet Union), and wasn't that bad under Lenin, and it was on the right track at the very end when a drunkard uses his stand on a tank to cause the whole thing to come crashing down. If there was any justice in the Universe, the USSR would still be around (perhaps minus a few Republics and definitely minus its Eastern European satellites) with Gorbachev going down in history as the man who turned the USSR into a model of a social democracy and enjoying a pleasant retirement with one of his proteges at the helm. (I exaggerate my position a bit, but you get my point).

And here I was thinking I was the only crazy one. A social democracy based around "soviets" seems kinda odd, maybe a namechange would still have been in order somewhere down the line.

Gorbachev was a fine man, especially when opposed to a guy like Yeltsin.

The Soviet Union was not paradise, but it wasn't the hell that the West portrayed it to be, with the important exception of a certain short, mustached man. There were many things they did right, but there was of course room for improvement in a variety of areas as well. To dismiss the USSR for its failures is to ignore its successes, something we can not afford to do.

Had its moments, but if we're judging it by its overall performance, have to say no. The majority of those seventy years were just too damn brutal and murderous.

And my mother is also a virgin. One of only two immaculately conceived people in human history, I am. The other of course being Darth Vader.

The Soviet Union was not paradise, but it wasn't the hell that the West portrayed it to be, with the important exception of a certain short, mustached man. There were many things they did right, but there was of course room for improvement in a variety of areas as well. To dismiss the USSR for its failures is to ignore its successes, something we can not afford to do.

what exactly was its success?

Improved standards of living tremendously in Russia, for one thing. It's difficult to overestimate how crappy life was for people before 1917; by the 1960s, the regime could boast a constantly improving state of life for virtually everybody in the country. By the same token, the economic problems beginning in the 1970s and extending into the next decade ruined the government's ability to provide that improvement, and eroded much of the regime's support base.

And Dachs didn't even mention their space program, superior military to Germany at the outbreak of war - hardware wise only, Stalin had thrown just about every officer that displayed anything approaching talent in the gulags - awesome science fiction, parapsychology studies we still haven't matched to this day, an absolutely pimping national anthem, etc. If it weren't for the totalitarianism and mass murder, the USSR wouldn't have been that bad.

It was not hell i would live there then rather say the Congo.

It was not hell i would live there then rather say the Congo.
There's a fine hotel in Kinshasa that serves "toast American". Try it sometime, it tastes...interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom