[Utility]Change the rules, play how you like with [Gamespeed Tuner]

Junuxx

Emperor

I have ceased development and support of Gamespeed Tuner as a seperate application, because it has been absorbed by the Atlas Project. Please see the thread of Atlas or my site for more information

Gamespeed Tuner 1.0 (22/12/05) has been downloaded 145 times
Gamespeed Tuner 1.1 (23/12/05) has been downloaded 679 times

---- Original post follows: ----

Hi all!

I just finished a new utility similar to my DefaultPlayers Tweaker. Gamespeed Tuner allows you to change many of the settings for the Quick, Normal and Epic speeds in a breeze. Make your own gamespeed, without messing with the XML! :)

You can edit the cost of units, buildings and research, the number of barbarians, the severity of influation, et cetera. I grouped some of the less interesting settings together under 'General'.

Here's a screenshot:

Junuxx

I advise you not to download until I fixed it to match the new patch. Fixed!

Doh! While trying to include tthe new speed, I accidentally overwrote my only copy of the new CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml
Could someone *please* send me or attach the file? :)

Had to change it to .txt to upload.

Attachments

• CIV4GameSpeedInfo.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 310
Thanks, I appreciate your kindness ;)
but it seems you haven't downloaded the latest patch yet? The one released yesterday, that adds another gamespeed?

Okay, I fixed it. Gamespeed Tuner 1.1 now works properly with the new patch. In case you don't have it, you can still download Gamespeed Tuner 1.0. :)

A couple of questions. Does this only work per game, or does it create a mod file? What I mean is, when you start a new game, will this effect that game only, so that future games you can still use defaults, etc. or does it permanently change the settings until you change it again?

Thorburne said:
A couple of questions. Does this only work per game, or does it create a mod file? What I mean is, when you start a new game, will this effect that game only, so that future games you can still use defaults, etc. or does it permanently change the settings until you change it again?

The settings effect all games. Unfortunately there's no way to save such settings with the save file. So if you use this utility to make units cheaper, start Civ and load an old game, you'll continue playing an old game with new rules.

Good that you mentioned it :). It's not dangerous, it can't hurt your game or computer, or stop anything from working. But it might spoil a game if you found out you forgot to restore the original settings. I see no way around it but being careful. I'll include a warning in the readme ;) .

Thanks for the tool.

When I get home from work I'll play with it some. Looks really useful... thanks...

Junuxx said:
I advise you not to download until I fixed it to match the new patch. Fixed!
had to re-install the game :mad: I dont see why we should use this tool when it is almost the same exact thing than opening the file with XML marker 1.1
Maybe some people cant deal with TEXT file !! :lol:

Nice

I like the tidy little interface and the way changes can be implemented and removed easily. Been looking for a way to experiment with changing the pace of the game without adding or removing things like most of the mods do.

After looking thru the CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml my only suggestion would be perhaps providing an option to modify individually the settings you've lumped under the 'General' tab; this may provide more specific tweaking of some gameplay aspects. Also provide editing of the 'GameTurnInfos' section to extend or shorten game duration.

Anyway nice job - please carry on :D

I'm playing a multiplayer game with my roommate and my inflation is sitting at 97% and i'm loosing a lot of gold because of it, can i use this in multi aswell?

Hi not sure oh I am just inept.. But cannot locate the Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0.

Thanks.. Specific link be really nice..

Hi all! Thanks for the feedback :)

@Kettyo:
You currently can't do that with this tool. It would need a bit more complex controls. but I might try to add it.

@ibcoltscrew:
Sorry to hear that. Did you download the wrong version, or did you download version 1.0 before I put the patch out? It's true that you can do all this in a text editor. But it's way easier and more accesible to do so, and you have a restore function.

@Recursion:
Thank you. I'll think about it. I fear that adding much more functions would spoil the 'tidy little interface' ;)

@LastOutlaw:
I'm not really sure, I'd have to test it, but I think you can use this in multiplayer if all players use the same settings.

@AAGamer:
Sorry, I'll include a specific link. :)

Junuxx said:
@Recursion:
Thank you. I'll think about it. I fear that adding much more functions would spoil the 'tidy little interface' ;)

You're right it would make a more cluttered gui to include all the settings (and for the most part the ones lumped under 'General' are like you said 'less interesting'). However I would like a away to change turns-per-year increments and turns-per-increment settings easily - perhaps an 'Advanced View' option which adds a 'Turn Settings' to list that can be opened in a breakout tree for setting changes.

This might also work for the 'General' settings and would still allow a user to keep the more streamlined look and fuctionality you've got now or switch to the more Advanced to change any setting available. (sorry:blush: not a coder so don't know if I'm making sense here - also don't know what limitations you have coding Java).

Anyway thx for what you've already done - works good as is. These are just ideas for what I'd like to see to keep from having to also work with a .txt editor as well as this. :)

Hydryad said:
What settings did you 'lump' under general settings exactly?

Anarchy length, number of beakers for the Great People's technology option, number of hammers for the Great Engineer's hurry option, Golden Age length and conscription anger. That's about it I think...

@Recursion:
Good ideas. I'll see what I can do. :)

Top Bottom