1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by phungus420, Apr 28, 2009.

1. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

The small chance someone is working on this mod, here's my wishlist for any further content:

A few new civilisations: Poland, Bantu and Polynesia would be fine additions I think.
    Civic reshuffle: let's make Serfdom actually useful for a start. Most other civics are useful at some point or another, but Serfdom is still worthless even for managing revolutions.
    Some new scenarios: there seems to be endless varieties of earth map but the only historical one is the Napoleonic Wars map, which is hell on my computer. Not sure how it runs for others. Oh and the 300BC map, which is also hell for my computer.

Overall though, an amazing mod. Best I've played. Hope to see new life breathed into it soon!

2. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Hey Mud,

I’m still playing, and enjoying, this mod. I don’t enable revolutions, but I like the slightly expanded tech tree and the units that fill in gaps in eras (e.g. Bombard, Ironclad Cruiser). I also like how it supports larger-than-Large maps and more than 18 Civs. A lot of other mods do some of the same things, but many are too unlike BtS (entirely new resources or tech tree/rules) or too like it (no improved AI). LoR is the proverbial Baby Bear’s Porridge for me.

I heavily customize my settings – for example, I turn off Vassals and turn on Permanent Alliances. When it looks like I’m about to run away with a game in the Industrial period, boom – the #2 and #4 AI ally themselves and suddenly they research twice as fast. Nice challenge, IMO.

The Poles used to be in LoR. As was Hitler. And many Civs had multiple UUs. For some reason that was taken out (redundancy perhaps with the extra AIs and UUs?).

I’d like to see some modifications, too, but I recognize that in some cases, less is more. For example, I like K-Mod too, but there are so many (admittedly, minor) changes that I can’t keep up.

Questions/suggestions:

Does anyone ever manage to get those awesome Spy promos? As things stand, I think it’s impossible to start a Spy with more than 5 XP. A successful mission (if the spy isn’t caught) only gains 1 XP, and then you have to ship the Spy all the way back to the front line from the Capital. That makes it very hard for spies to accumulate promos.

Is it me, or are Legio X and Trafalgar Square both vastly overpowered? TS gives Colossus benefit without expiring, AND local shipbuilding bonuses for a relatively low cost. And a 3-move Blitz unit in the early Classical period makes conquest easy – it racks up XP very quickly and soon becomes very powerful.

3. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Great to hear someone else is enjoying this mod!

I agree with your suggestion that Legio X is very overpowered. In fact, I'd say the Legends aspect of the mod is my least favourite. It's an interesting concept, having Wonder-like units, but it disrupts the flow of normal battles far too much. It's not fun throwing 10 swordsman units against a Legend to take it down.
    I think it would have been a better idea to make units become Legends over time - as they win battles, their fame and renown increase. An improved promotion system is what I'm asking for, I suppose.

It's a pity about Poland! I think they'd make a fine civilisation, and I can't imagine why they'd be removed from the mod after being added.

4. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I like the Legends - they're fun - but you're right, they're unbalanced. And the AI usually doesn't use them right. I've had AI Barbary Corsairs lunge at a stack of my Frigates... and even when the Corsair won, it left itself with too few moves to survive the next turn.

My Legio generally gets to 27 xp ahead of anything other than a super-healer. Then it gets a Warlord attached to it, a bunch of free upgrades, and poof! 3-move Tank with +75 STR and a ton of first strikes.

5. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Minor annoyance - on the bottom right of the screen where the civ names are displayed, the religion of each civ icon has disappeared and I can't seem to find how to get it back. Any thoughts?

6. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

My best guess is to try ctrl-alt-O - it's likely one of the BUG options.

I was looking for a way to have more than 20 Civs show on the scoreboard (without having to page down). Probably a BUG option too, but do you know the shortcut?

7. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the BUG menu but to no avail. I think it may be an actual bug.

As for your query, I think the same BUG menu can help you. Click on the scoreboard tab, and change "maximum civilisations" at the bottom of the screen to 0. If there's too many civilisations, though, they'll just get cut off the top of the screen.

8. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Warlord

I've been playing using this mod recently and have been having a blast, it really adds so much more to Civ that should have been there in the first place! :D

However I find that there are no state religion icons on the scoreboard - making it cumbersome to have to enter the dialog screen to discover each Civ's religion. I did a quick scan through the LoR options and couldn't find any option to enable this, does anyone know if there's a way I can get these icons? :D

9. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Hi PsychopathicWarmonger,
    My post just before yours asks the exact same question :lol: unfortunately, I think it's a bug in the game. Since it seems this mod isn't updated any more, it may be something we just have to live with.

10. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Warlord

Oh, sorry I just glanced over the last few posts, and figured that if the question was asked it must've been a dozen pages or so back. XD
    It's a great mod regardless, just an inconvenience not to see the religions. :\
    Hopefully someone with skill in Python can fix it in the future.

11. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

The weird thing is that the religion icons are present in my game.

I'm playing v0.9.9... otherwise, I have no idea what I did to get them. I've looked all through the BUG screens.

12. devolution

devolution Prince

13. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I took a look at it a while back. I haven't installed it - frankly, the defender withdrawal mod seems like it would nerf Legends, which are a big reason I find LoR fun.

14. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried the History Rewritten mod, which has a similar component called Civil Wars. Each city has a dissent meter, and when it's full rebellious cities will rise up against you. I like some facets of dissent better - for one, it is explained in numbers, so the exact problems can always be seen. However, LoR has the cool feature of barbarian cities forming their own civilisations and potentially dominating too.
    I'm curious to see people's opinions of both mods.

Regards
    salty mud