1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by phungus420, Apr 28, 2009.

1. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Updated 0.9.6 to 0.9.6a to fix some of the reported issues with missing buttons. Going to wait a couple more days to post 0.9.6a as the main download in the OP of this thread and the main download thread in the LoR forums to make sure no other issues shake out. Update is save game compatible with 0.9.6 (also light and full versions are save game compatible if anyone plays succession games, or wants to switch versions while in the middle of game).

Legends of Revolution 0.9.6a

Changelog:
    Legends beta: 0.9.6a
    • Removed El Cid and Abu Bakr from Great Persons list (they are now leaders)
    • Mohawk Sentry given +100% defense against warriors
    • Fixed a couple of minor missing graphix issues with buttons (pink boxes)
    • ReSet LoR to once again stop loading custom assets, was causing issues for users who had custom assets files
    • LoR no longer makes available scenarios and maps which are not compatible with the mod
    • Set Civic and Trait civilopedia displays so that Revolutions effects only shows up for games with Revolutions active
    • Removed Shrine and National Wonder movies from light version to reduce size of the light version download

2. Voltage

Voltage Warlord

Just some of my constructive thoughts on this mod.

Assault Mech with a strength of 50 included in the mod is strange. It outbalances modern era warfare tatics and is just plain ridiculous. I would say either include all unrealistic units or have none, it will ruins the late game feel for players who like getting that far. Modern tank are much more battle efficient than a funny looking robocop mech could ever be.
    Better AI causes huge turn time duration. I turned this mod off the moment i started having turns 30-60seconds at middle ages. Better AI is only good if you dont play past middle age. Its not worth the long impatient staring at the screen waiting for the AI to take their turns. I'd rather them be less efficient and have the regular 5-10second duration.
    On the Ethnic Diversity, Most of the air unit graphics for each civilization are not accurate. I did like the look of the Mech infantry. Generally the ethnic diversity on the modern units is lacking.
    Special Forces units are too weak and underpowered to be used effectively in any good warfare tatic. They should be beefed up and reduce number of units allowed.
    Would have liked to have a type of Transport helicopter (One that could not carry tanks would save some imbalance issues) and Bio missiles.

I'd play this mod for all my civ4 games, its got that professional feel to it and the mods you have included enhance gameplay. But increased turn time, lacking ethnic diversity on modern units and that assault mech puts me off.

3. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Re Assault Mech, UCAV, and Stealth Destroyer (which is in BtS):
    These are end game units, one each for Land, Air, and Sea. They are not presently used in any arsenal, but they theoretically will be in the near future, and it makes sense in a game that allows you to win by colonizing space to have at least one future unit of each domain type. Also keep in mind the Assault Mech costs twice as much as modern armor, so hammer wise it's not the best choice.

Re BetterAI:
    I consider BetterAI an improvement, and worth the cost in performance. It's also burried deep in the RevDCM core and thus cannot be removed. The best thing to do if your computer has issues is to play on smaller maps. Also the blue marble add increases computer resource demands. Finally a good way to improve performance is to turn off Plot list Enhancements in the BUG options. To access the BUG UI option screen, press ctrl +alt + O
    LoR is nearly totally optomized. There really isn't any room to squeez out more performance. It's art is all up to stock BtS specs, and so it runs the same as BtS with BUG + BetterAI. These are two core mods that just wol't be removed.

Re Ethnic Diversity:
    It's actually exceptionally good. The only parts that are lacking are the Ironclads, and Motorized Infantry. This is because there simply aren't any available models to use as ethnic art for these units. Nothing I can do here, but really LoR probably has the best ethnic art pack available of any mod, with only Quote Capita being on par with it.

Re Special Forces:
    Some people claim it's too strong. It is a niche unit, it is not designed for frontal assault.

Re Transport Helicopter:
    This is what Air Assault is for. A true transport unit is not tenible, as the AI does not understand non Sea transports. Also it's simply unnessary as Air Assault fills this role.

4. Angelscotboi

Angelscotboi Emperor

I dont mind that each Civ has a different number of "leaders" - what I would like is the Civs that only have one leader be given a second.
    Like Spain and Egypt.

5. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

Actually both those civs are bad examples. Spain got El Cid a couple versions ago. And Egypt has always had 2 leaders: Ramesses and Hatshepsut.

Vietnam will be getting a 2nd, and either constantine or Dido are strong candidates. They will most likely be replacing Reagan and Lenin, as both those civs have four. Having all civs have equal leaders probably isnt going to happen anyway. Since we cant have repeats in trait pairings (since Firaxis doesnt do that) and there are only 65 possible trait. All civs wont be able to get 2 leaders, since that would make 74 something leaders. So in the past several versions we have given Arabia, Spain, and soon Vietnam, and either Byzantine or Carthage will get a 2nd.

If you really like the idea to having minimum 2 leaders per Civ, Berenthor is making a modcomp that will be adding 20+ leaders so that all civs have 2. Biggest motivation behind it was making sure each civ has a leader to transefer power to after a revolution occurs.

6. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

A bit of hate against the assault mech is coming from the fact that it's a mech - these things are a bit ridiculous. And the pedia entry in Next War makes it even more of a parody! I just think it "breaks" the mood of the realism-focus the game has in general. Speculative tech (like the UCAV) or tech that's in development now (stealth destroyer - Zumwalt) is fine... but mechs just feel silly (and AFAIK, nobody really wants to build a mech, for obvious reasons). I think by replacing the model, name and pedia with something more serious (while keeping the stats), it would fit much better into the game (for example look at the EE2 future unit pack - if you really want a mech, take something with at least four legs - just looks way more serious, not like something falling over after the smallest impact).

Cheers, LT.

7. Wraith23

Wraith23 Warlord

Why? :confused:

8. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

I want to build a gundam, but Im coming up $6.5 billion short.

Seriously though, you do have a good point. But all the units in that pack also seem like fantasy. Although they seem like more logical extensions of present tech. Any ideas on what would be a better Main Battle tank replacement? Or are there atleast any sensible ideas being thrown aound by the military for a future combat vehicle.

because they actually are extremely far fetched at our current technology. Tanks do a dam fine job already at moving over just about any terrain, and its hard to knock them over.

9. arkham4269

arkham4269 Court Writer - Orbis Mod

Since we are moving toward more and more UAV technology, I'd go for the Ogre/Bolo sort of thing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_%28tank%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_%28game%29

Plus regardless of my very early love of the book Starship Troopers, the truth is that we aren't that far away from powered armor now. The only 'sci-fi' element we're really lacking is a powerful enough power source that is small enough to be carried. It doesn't take that much of a stretch to think that somehow a amazingly efficient battery is developed that would allow the suits to work long enough in combat to be effective.

As a intel analyst for many years, it's too bad we can't really simulate that we're actually sort of going backward in combat terms because it's really getting to expensive to fight in the vein of NATO vs. Warsaw Pact so we're transitioning to more 'low intensity warfare' like we're seeing in Chechnya, Iraq and Afghanistan.

I don't know; makes me think that there should be a way to have whole areas in revolt so that any unit in a city radius of one that has lots of :mad: start taking damage and certain units (like armor) take more and 'old fashioned' "straight leg" infantry would take less. Plus perhaps there could be some sort of mechanic that increases the cost of unit support in areas where there is a lot of :mad: in it to show the increased costs to the likes of KBR.

10. Lord Tirian

Ah, power armour is (from my point of view) actually okay, because people *are* working on that - as you said, we only lack the energy source. The assault mech - as seen in the next war title screen - however, is a towering monstrosity, hence my dislike. Plus, power armour sounds more like a further development of the mechanized infantry (and their APCs).

For an assault mech replacement - as "better" main battle tank - that would probably a better tank - hard to say, how it would look like or work like. If you go for the terrain angle, something with lots of legs miiiiight work (but is a stretch), as something like may traverse terrain a bit better than a tank (and with many legs and a low profile, it's less prone to stupid things, even in case of partial leg loss or power failure).

Another angle is that you're actually able to put a railgun into a tank-sized vehicle - the navies are working frantically on fitting them into ships right now... such a railgun-tank could be some sort of artillery/tank mix (a bit like the assault mech with ranged strikes) - but again, this would require a freakishly efficient power source/battery.

EDIT: By the way, if I could get a gundam, I'd get one too! ;)

Cheers, LT.

11. Palinathas

Palinathas Chieftain

How about some sort of Air-Cushion tank (AKA Hover-Tank). That would be real-world possible, but perhaps not yet real-world practical.

12. Lord Tirian

Well... I would totally approve, as I have a deep-seated love for rocket-launching hover tanks... though this also means I'd throw out realism to get my hovertank! :crazyeye:

Cheers, LT.

13. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

Also the motor and mech infantry symbolize ground vehicle transport as well.
    Even if the power source was the only thing holding it back, its still abit off. Fusion, as in a enormous powerplant turbine, is still several decades away. Who knows though its entirely possible my next door neighbor invents a cold fusion battery tomorrow, but I wouldnt count on it. And current biped robots at best wlk along at a snail pace, not to mention there will be hell to pay if it toppled over (even if smaller ones can get up, things get out of hands when the scale is multiplied many times over). And being tall like that is just asking to get shot in the face by a tank/rpg. Modern tanks will do circles around a lumbering mech. The Ucav and Stealth destroyer are both things that are on the drawing board and/or already exist. Some countries already have at least stealthy destroyers and frigates. And the in game model (zumwalt) would probably already be built by the US if it wasnt so flipping expensive.

14. Merri

Merri Warlord

You should put all things listed here as myths so Mythbusters could go ahead and test these things in practice... and then add everything that gets at least Plausible.

... What?

15. NovaDream

NovaDream Chieftain

As a fan of the old Wolfshanze Mod I was really glad to have discovered this (and still being supported) mod. I'm really enjoying it so far and have spent a decent amount of time going over the previous posts that all happened before I knew of you guys' work. My only question is about the revolution aspects of the mod. I'm still learning how all the different factors contribute to the likelihood of a revolution, and what the rev index and different types of instability are, and of course how to to control them. What I was wondering is if there is any where that explains the different mechanics more thoroughly, or gives a brief rundown of the pluses and minuses of different decisions (namely the effects and strategies of choosing civics), something of a reference or basic instruction manual. If this exists someplace I'd love to read it as I really enjoy this mod. And if it doesn't, is there any chance or anyone who might put something like that together in the future?

-thanks again

16. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

@NovaDream: Glad you are enjoying the mod. For your question look here in the Revolution's Project and Mod Development. section. The two threads that will help you the most are titled "welcome to Revolution" and "Revolution FAQ".

And hey once youve brushed up on the mechanics of revolution, maybe you could write one for LoR?:mischief:

17. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

The write up in the civilopedia is actually pretty thorough, under LoR concepts, revolutions. The main issue is that currently stability (national effects) are not exposed to the player, so the numbers you get in the RevIdx bar only displays city (or local effects) causes of Revolutions. jdog has announced the next version of RevDCM will expose national stability causes and values so this will improve things greatly.

As far as a replacement for a mech. I think the best thing would be power armored LAN warriors. We'd just need models, but could swap that unit out with the assault mech pretty easily.

18. Angelscotboi

Angelscotboi Emperor

Is anyone else having trouble downloading from the filefront mirror?

I am downloading fine and when I run the installer it has a fatal exception and says its corrupted. Ive done this 3 times.

Its really irritating because I DO NOT Like AtomicGamer at all.

OH well gotta try that one now.

19. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Was just reported a little bit ago. Tried reuploading, but it failed while I doing so. So trying again. It's a big file, takes about 45 minutes to upload, so hopefully will have it replaced soon. Don't know what's up with Filefront, but this is like the 3rd time in a row they've ended up corrupting a file.

20. alerum68

alerum68 Priest of Hiroshima

(points at his signature on the line about how to release a mod, and about using SourceFore... hint hint hint!:p)