1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UXP] World of Legends: Heroes, Guilds, and More!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by cybrxkhan, Dec 31, 2009.

1. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Chieftain

This looks quite promising. I must say, however, that I'm not a big fan of almost every resource requiring a tech to be revealed - it makes city planning difficult, IMO (then again, I might just be a noob :) ).

2. joelwest

joelwest Noble

the combo of industrious and progressive is missing. since that is the leader I wanted, I will have to make due with William the Conqueror (financial and progressive)

joelwest

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I got the idea for that from an older modcomp somewhere, and I think it makes things a bit more realistic and interesting (you don't really care where wheat is until you know how to farm it, you know? until then wheat is just like any other crop to you).

However, it isn't that bad - most of the basic resources like wheat or cows will be revealed pretty early on, since they require early techs.

Thanks for making note of that. I remember I was thinking of switching FDR to that, but I suppose when I was putting leaders in different combos I left it out. It will be filled out in the next version, as I'll add in more leaders and one more trait.

4. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Chieftain

Well, I suppose...but still, with things like incense, you are probably going to notice that this stuff smells nice when you burn it. The only thing you wouldn't know is how to get lots of it (which would be where the plantation comes in). Same deal with gold, silver, and gems - you know it's shiny, you notice shiny stuff, you like shiny stuff, you just don't know how to get it in large quantities.

5. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Disagree. First off, there is absolutely nothing realistic about a stationary farmable resource.

More importantly humans knew about the concept of agriculture well before the first farms were set up in the fertile cresent; it's not hard to realize if you plant seeds in an area you get desired plants later. People just didn't farm because it's hard work, and there was no point in doing so while the environment supported a hunter gatherer society. Farming occurs after an increase in population density (not the reverse as is commonly believed), and was most likely a direct result of forced labor which was strong-armed by the warrior caste of the society. Human ancestors were hunting with stone tools for more then a million years prior to the first Homo sapien, and were using bows and arrows long before the neolithic, and were planting crops and domesting animals durring the ice age. The entire base of the tech tree makes no sense from a historical or realistic perspective.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

^
    I do agree that the tech tree is kind of unrealistic, it's more an abstract thing in a way, if you know what I mean. However, I felt that you wouldn't really harness the power of wheat anyways if you didn't "know" agriculture. Something like that. That's why I chose to make them revealable with techs.

@St. Patrick:
    If I remember correctly gold and silver are revealed pretty early, with mining, I think. If not I'll be sure to change it.

7. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Chieftain

Yeah, they are revealed by mining. And now that I've actually played around with it a bit, it's not really that big of a deal. I guess I just wasn't used to it.

I'd get rid of the unhappiness bonus for civs not having a Personality Cult, though. Maybe one additional happiness per city would work better?

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I think I may move a few of the later resources (like Silk) just a tad bit earlier, but we'll see.

Anyhow, as for Personality Cult, my logic behind the unhappiness bonus for civs not having it was because, as we have seen in modern history, civs with Personality Cults weren't necessarily the most well-liked. Take North Korea, for instance. Still, I'm not 100% satisfied with the concept, and I do want to improve on that particular civic. Happiness per city may be a possible option, to be honest.

9. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Chieftain

So wait...maybe running it would draw animosity from other leaders?

Also, Gampo's greeting text reads "AI_DIPLO_CHANGED_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_SONG". You might want to fix that.

Finally, as long as I'm talking about diplomacy, maybe running Free Religion could get bonuses from all other civs (or at least other civs running Free Religion as well, and possibly from other leaders whose state religion is practiced in your empire).

10. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Yeah, that's the idea. But I'm not too sure about the other bonuses, because simply making citizens a bit more happy doesn't really cut it for me. I'll probably look into it for the next version.

Also, thanks for pointing that out. The only other leader I knew whose text was messed up was Sobieski, but I forgot to change that for this version. I'm pretty sure there are a number of leaders with faulty diplomacy text, so if you find any more, please tell me! :)

11. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Chieftain

Cool.

One other thing: I'm not sure Liberalism is the appropriate tech for a Constitutional Monarchy. I feel like it would go better with Constitution, but that already provides Representation...

12. CrimsonEmperor

CrimsonEmperor Chieftain

My 3.19 patch isnt working...maybe I'll try it on another comp.

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I do think Liberalism is very slightly too early, but there isn't much an alternative. I was thinking of (of course) the British monarchy when making this civic, and I guess I could say that England truly became a Constitutional Monarchy around the time of the Enlightenment, which would coincide with Liberalism. I do agree that Constitution would maybe be better, but, as you said, that already provides representation.

I think you probably should. It has worked for everyone else, so I'm not sure what's going on with your computer. :confused:

14. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

Been playing this all yestarday, a very good mod indeed with many new things, bravo.
    I am playing the Nubians. I just realized that I missed building Taharqa (the first hero). I thought that the rule was: once built a hero has 25 turns to live, when it is "once buildable, you have 25 turns all in all to build it and use it", right?

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Glad you're enjoying the mod. As for the hero, you can build the hero whenever, but once you build the hero, they have 25 turns to be used until they die. So it doesn't matter much whether you start building them the turn they're available, or 500 turns later - basically you can build Taharqa in the Modern Age if you really want, but he'd get pounded by tanks by then. :mwaha:

16. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Chieftain

Cy, I'm sure there's a better diplomacy greeting than "don't trouble until trouble troubles you," especially not having TWO (at least) leaders that have it. Bad Street Brawl is a game that is better off forgotten.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

^It's actually a Vietnamese proverb, I can assure you that (I'm Vietnamese :D). Plus I have no idea what Bad Street Brawl is, anyways.

18. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Chieftain

Oh. Doesn't explain why Theodora says it though...

Bad Street Brawler was a crappy NES game that featured the quote "don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you" at the start of one level. Not too many people were fans, either of the game or the quote.

19. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

^Thanks for telling me that. I think I copied the Trung sister's diplomacy text when making Theodora's, and forgot to change it later.

20. Seaswolf

Seaswolf Chieftain

What a great MOD !
    I´ll try as soon as I back to my home...

Now I´m in the work !! Lol !!