v.1.52 - Tech tree error

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by Pole Doctor, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Pole Doctor

Pole Doctor Chieftain

Here's a bug I hadn't noticed before. By starting my last game, I entered the tech tree to see the path to monotheism. Clicking this tech showed me the shorter technological way, but with wrong figures (I'm playing the french version) :

1. Mining
    1. Mysticism
    2. Masonry
    4. Polytheism
    5. Monotheism

I kept on playing and, after discovering mining a few turns later, here's what the tech tree looked like :

1. Mysticism
    2. Masonry
    4. Polytheism
    5. Monotheism

Any ideas ?

2. alexman

alexman Ancient Geek

Is it repeatable? If you save the game and reload, do you get the same thing? If so, please post a save.

3. Pole Doctor

Pole Doctor Chieftain

Well, unfortunately I didn't save the game at that time. The only save I have was made waaay later (did I mention this game was addictive ? ;)). Oddly, I loaded this very savegame and had a look at the tech tree. Here's what it looked like :

Many of the techs I already discovered are shown as if they still were unknown to me. Funny to see that horseback riding is shown as discovered but animal husbandry is not ... Simultaneously, music is being researched as can be seen on the research bar.

The related savegame is attached below.

4. Cosine

Cosine Chieftain

Well it certainly looks like a bug, but I can see where the problem results from. By only clicking on Monotheism, you aren't telling the game where you will begin. To get monotheism you need polytheism and masory.
    To get Polythesism you need mysticism. To get Masory however, you need either mysticism OR mining. The game tries to route to monotheism from a logical begining. But there are two possible beginings: mysticism and mining.
    If you go the mysticism route, it takes four techs. If you go the mining route, you need 5, with mining being rather frivilous. The game is trying to count the steps, but the number of steps is relative to where you start.

The animal husbandry question leads me to believe you are playing with a teammate. I found that when i played with a team mate, I shared in their technological advances, but didn't show the tech having been researched in my tech tree. Is that the case with you?

5. alexman

alexman Ancient Geek

Thanks for the save.

I have one more question. To get the messed up tech tree, did you load the game without restarting CIV? If so, what happens if you shut down CIV and reload that save?

6. Pole Doctor

Pole Doctor Chieftain

Your theory sounds good, Cosine, but then the first screenshot should maybe show 1-1-3-4-5 figures (instead of 1-1-2-4-5). And this still doesn't explain the second one, where 1-2-4-5 should be 1-2-3-4 after having discovered mining.

I indeed forgot to mention this game is a solo one, so shared technological advances don't apply.
    As a matter of fact, mining (which has been discovered way earlier in the game, cf. second screenshot) appears as unknown on the tech tree (as many other discovered techs), yet a mine can clearly be seen in the background :)

Well, I saved the game on Sunday night ; I reloaded it today (Tuesday). Ah, forgot to say, I shut down Civ in between ! ;)