1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

v1.61 and the power of gold

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by emills, Apr 17, 2006.

1. emills

emills Warlord

Some observations and questions on money for the 1.61 patch.

I play at epic speed and the cost of upgrading units has gone up about 20-25%. Was this part of the time correction (hammers at the root affecting the output of the upgrade equation) or is this an increase across all speeds (new upgrade equation)?

It also seems the Kremlin is now necessary (even if less powerful) since cash rushing items, especially wonders, has gone through the roof. My experience at epic (without the Kremlin) is that wonders cost at least 3 times as much gold as they did prior to the patch. Again, is this true across all speeds or part of the time correction, or is this an effect of trying to fix the Kremlin and wacking all rush buying?

As affecting strategy, Universal suffrage still stays the premiere late game civic over representation. Where as before it was rush buying, now it is production (Town hammers). The civics are closer in power than before, but I believe the edge still goes to cottages (as it should).

Also, with rush buying changes, production is even more key. Cities will now have to actually build the units and buildings more than before. In my experience this weekend, this has shown that in "commerce cities", mines get an edge over windmills if food is available (and sometimes not) and watermills get used more often in the place of a cottage site.

I like the V1.61 changes, definately tougher overall. And to quell (or start) an argument, I believe that cottages are NOT overpowered. It is my belief that they are a specific game design and are meeting the intent of the game developers. You still have to use them and in lots.

2. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

I feel it was the intention to curb the rush buying of units and wonders. It felt far too easy just to rush build everything you needed late game. Now we will have to work for the wonders.

3. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

If you think it's tough now, wait until the next patch....cottages will take a lot longer to grow. Why? Because too many people are liking them too much.;) j/k

4. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Cottages are great. Great for pillaging. They defray the cost of expansion by conquest.

5. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

if you intend on keeping your conquered land, keeping those towns up will give you a whole lot more than the 1 time pillaging bonus. only tear them down when you're NOT expanding, but still conquesting.