v1.61 Casper the Teleporting Guerilla Grenadier

The Tyrant

Prince
I just had the most hilarious bug happen, but of course it is just my luck that it occurred during the one game I was glad that no one would ever see -- a game where I didn't follow any of the rules and just used brute force. Everyone who visits me at home hears the same words: "If you come in you have to close your eyes so you can't see how messy the place is." Well, that goes for this game, too. If you open the savegame you have to close your eyes so you can't see what a mess I made of things. :)

After the early game I didn't even care about strategy (no specialization, no GP farm, erratic research paths, national wonders went wherever I felt like, etc.). The game just got too easy, and the (rather good) wine I had didn't make me inclined to care all that much. I couldn't even eliminate my opponents. They kept escaping to Exile Isle. This has to be the sloppiest game I've played in a very long time. I'm embarrassed to even post this save but oh, well. :blush:

1. Load savegame.
2. Check Alexander's city of Dacca. It contains two riflemen. Southwest of the city is an iron mine with a Greek grenadier and one of my spies. I had moved the spy there many turns ago so I could pillage the iron once the war started, but I forgot about her. Southeast of the city is a stack of my (English) units on a hill.
3. Don't stack-attack. Choose the strongest (first) tank and kill one of the riflemen. Choose the second tank and take out the other rifleman. The second tank will capture the city. Choose to install a new governor.
4. There are 34 units left in that stack on the hill. Instead of moving them all individually, go ahead and group them into one big stack and move the stack into the city.
5. You can't, can you? You can give that stack movement orders to go just about anywhere *except* into Dacca. What gives? Mouse over Dacca and you'll see.
6. The grenadier that was on the iron mine is now in the city. That's right -- he's in the city with your tank! Oddly enough, although your tank just took the city, Alex managed to slip his grenadier into it to wreak havoc. Alexander has a new type of unit: the teleporting guerilla grenadier. The reason you can't move the stack into Dacca is because the stack contains a machine gunner, a unit which can't attack. You have to separate the stack and use another tank to kill off that grenadier.

Its pretty obvious what happened, but I'm not sure WHY it happened. When I took the city, the game must have checked the tiles adjacent to it and found that one of Alex's units occupied a tile with one of my units (a spy, but that shouldn't have mattered). My cultural borders were right beside the grenadier, but did not immediately expand to include that tile. The grenadier should have stayed in place. I can't see any reason he should have been relocated, but apparently he was.

For some reason (maybe because it occupied the same tile as my spy?) the grenadier was moved to an adjacent tile. This check must have come after the determination that I had just taken out the last defender, but before the movement of my tank into the city. Since the tank had not yet entered to take ownership, the city -- for that one brief moment -- still belonged to Alex at the time the check was made and the grenadier moved. So, the grenadier was moved into (Alex's) city of Dacca. Then, since my tank had just killed the last defender in the city, it moved into the city and ownership was changed to England. That left a Greek grenadier teleported into a just-captured (now English) city, sharing the city with an English tank.

I don't know why the grenadier was moved, but it seems to me that whatever triggered the move occurred AFTER the last defender was killed, but BEFORE the attacking unit entered the city and ownership changed. What makes this even more odd is that if you choose to stack-attack with the available tanks instead of attacking individually, the grenadier disappears entirely. He isn't in Dacca, in either of Alex's other two cities, in any of your cities or anywhere at all. The combat log shows only the two riflemen getting killed, but the grenadier disappears too. He simply ghosts.

Of course this information was immediately classified, but unfortunately there were too many witnesses to keep it secret. Word is quickly spreading throughout the British army that the Greeks have a secret UU: "Casper, the teleporting guerilla grenadier." :p

Savegame:
I'm having trouble uploading. I've tried uploading twice now and then downloading the file to make sure it came through correctly. I keep getting a text file when I download. Can anyone explain what I need to do differently? I upload it as a Civ4SavedGame file, but it ends up being a .txt file. Huh?
Latest upload attempt: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/GuerillaUnit2.Civ4SavedGame

man i cant opne the file its just a text file complete with gibberish

Hmm... I don't know what happened there. When I get home in the morning I'll see if I can upload a good save. Thanks for letting me know.

Top Bottom