v3.2.1 Harbor trade network issues

griffer13524

Chieftain
In my latest game, as I was building out my empire over multiple continents, I noticed that it wasn't enough to have a harbor in my capital and a harbor in a target city in order for them to become trade networked. I had to have a second city both trade connected by a road to my capital, and with a harbor, in order for the connection with the third city to happen.

I hope that makes sense. Not sure what causes it, but I notice that the capital always lacks the :c5trade: icon under the name. Sorry if this has already been reported--I didn't really feel like skimming all 13 pages of bug reports.

The issue is probably that you don't have the sea route between your capital city and the island city completely mapped out. If there isn't a sea route not obscured by the fog of war between the two cities, then a sea city connection cannot be established.

There's also the issue that GEM created a trade route within the capital itself, fixing the RR bug in the capital. This could be why the RR isn't linked up without a separate source.

@Stackpointer: I don't think that was the issue, but I could be wrong. I'd have to do a test to make sure. Even then, it seems kind of silly that trade routes can puncture fog of war just fine, but trade connections between our cities can't? If this was the problem, I'd suggest changing it.

@mystikx21: I did remember this problem from GEM, and thought it might be connected to it, but without knowing all the details I was reluctant to jump to conclusions. But if the capital isn't trade connected to itself, then how would a capital with a harbor know to connect to other cities on the map?

Just going to revive this thread to note that the problem wasn't having fog of war along a sea route. I just replicated the issue in my latest game, and a capital with a harbor isn't enough to connect to other coastal cities with harbors. Another city has to first be connected to the capital by road, and then also have a harbor, in order for the connection with the third coastal city to happen.

I'm ~90% sure I've played games with Carthage where I never built a road, but had trade routes between my coastal cities once I had the Wheel tech.

Top Bottom