v44 Tech Quote Winners Thread

Spacer_J

Warlord
I thought it would be handy to have an official list of the final text & audio quotes for the upcoming v43 techs in one easy-to-find place. This post will be frequently edited as polls finish up with clear winners.

-Edit, 1/16/2023: v43 is officially out, and these new techs will most likely be in the next update, v44. Polling that is done and still remains to be done is still valid, but it will be for v44 instead.

-2/11: The text portion is now completed! All prospective techs now have a text quote. Thanks to all who participated in the polling and quote submission processes.

Of note: any time a text quote wins a poll, that quote is then open for audio recording! If you want a chance to get your voice heard on the new techs, there are plenty of opportunities! :)

-List of prospective tech quotes found here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...43-new-tech-plans.677180/page-2#post-16311617

-Audio submission guidelines:
Winners:
TECH_FRONTIERING
Washington [D.C.] is not a place to live in. The rents are high, the food is bad, the dust is disgusting and the morals are deplorable. Go West, young man, go West and grow up with the country.
—attributed to Horace Greeley

TECH_SEWING_MACHINES
The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path.
-Mason Cooley

TECH_MEDICAL_INSTRUMENTATION
Let me alone: I have yet my legs and one arm. Tell the surgeon to make haste and his instruments. I know I must lose my right arm, so the sooner it's off the better.
-Horatio Nelson

TECH_CRANK_WEAPONS
It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine gun which could by its rapidity of fire enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent, supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease would be greatly diminished.
-Richard Jordan Gatling

TECH_TYPEWRITERS
Give 1 million monkeys 1 million typewriters and they'll eventually type the entire works of William Shakespeare.
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

TECH_CEMENT
As a child, I used to have a secret dread - and a recurring nightmare - of the whole world becoming city, being covered with cement and buildings and streets. No more country. No more woods.
-William Stanley Merwin

TECH_MECHANICAL_REAPERS
By 1850 the McCormick reaper was known in every part of the United States, and at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London it was introduced to European farmers. Although mocked by The Times of London as "a cross between an Astley Chariot, a wheelbarrow, and a flying machine," the reaper took the Grand Prize.
-Mitchell Wilson, "Cyrus McCormick," britannica.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC4Dpbvwkl4&t=77s

TECH_PADDLEWHEEL
When I was a boy, there was but one permanent ambition among my comrades in our village on the west bank of the Mississippi River. That was, to be a steamboatman. We had transient ambitions of other sorts, but they were only transient. [...] These ambitions faded out, each in its turn; but the ambition to be a steamboatman always remained.
-Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

TECH_BARREL_RIFLING
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at 500 yards, Tannen! And it's pointed straight at your head!
-Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future: Part III

TECH_STELLAR_PARALAX
The wonder is not that the field of stars is so vast, but that man has measured it.
-Anatole France

TECH_POSTAGE
The postage stamp is a flimsy thing
No thicker than a beetle's wing
And yet it will roam the world for you
Exactly where you tell it to.
-E.V. Lucas

TECH_EVOLUTION_THEORY
Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
-Theodosius Dobzhansky

TECH_ANTISEPTICS
... all that is requisite is to dress the wound with some material capable of killing these septic germs, provided that any substance can be found reliable for this purpose.
-Joseph Lister

TECH_BREECH_LOADING
That breech loader has killed everything but a train engine, and now it's done that too.
-Patrick D. Smith, A Land Remembered

TECH_NAVAL_SCIENCE
The best that science can devise and that naval organization can provide must be regarded only as an aid, and never as a substitute for good seamanship.
-Chester Nimitz

TECH_MAGAZINES
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
-Erwin Rommel

TECH_AMUSEMENT_PARKS
Mr. Six It's Playtime Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXSbP-wEFU

TECH_HEAVY_ORDNANCE
In the drumfire, bravery no longer exists: only nerves, nerves, nerves. When anyone is exposed to such trials and tribulations he is no longer of any use as an attacker or defender.
-Anonymous German soldier about the Battle of Verdun

TECH_PENICILLIN
If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.
-Muhammad Ali

TECH_INNOVATIVE_WEAPON_SYSTEMS
Obsolete weapons do not deter.
-Margaret Thatcher

TECH_SEMI_AUTOMATIC_WEAPONS
I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler.
-Jack Kirby

TECH_PARTISAN_TACTICS
The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose.
-Henry Kissinger

TECH_SUPERCHARGER
It increases power and torque, it doesn't restrict engine revs and at full chat a supercharger can sound apocalyptically good. Sure, there are drawbacks, but we love them with all our hearts.
-Matt Kimberley, "Who Invented The Supercharger And How Has It Changed?"

TECH_MANEUVER_WARFARE
Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter.
-Winston Churchill

TECH_ASSAULT_WEAPONS
I want to make it clear that I created my assault rifle to protect my country. You can blame politicians for its spreading out of control on a global scale.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

TECH_HIGH_ALTITUDE_PHOTOGRAPHY
I can see my house from here.

TECH_MILITARY_INDUSTRIALISM
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex.
-President Eisenhower's farewell speech, January 17, 1961

TECH_GUIDANCE_SYSTEMS
The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't.

TECH_AIRCRAFT_RADAR
I never got tired of watching the radar echo from an aircraft as it first appeared as a tiny blip in the noise on the cathode-ray tube, and then grew slowly into a big deflection as the aircraft came nearer. This strange new power to “see” things at great distances, through clouds or darkness, was a magical extension of our senses.
-Robert Hanbury Brown

TECH_RADIO_JAMMING
In a fit of techno-patriotism, some ham geeks tried to cleanse the airwaves of the Russian Woodpecker by sending out a jamming signal. Their collective effort was dubbed the Russian Woodpecker Hunting Club and was, by most accounts, successful.
-Alexander Nazaryan, "The Massive Russian Radar Site in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone"

TECH_RADAR_MINIATURIZATION
It was a valve that could spit out pulses of microwave radio energy on a wavelength of 10 cm. This was unheard of. Nothing like it had been invented before. The wavelength for the radar system we were using at the start of the war was one-and-a-half metres. The equipment needed was bulky and the signals indistinct. The cavity magnetron was to be the key that would allow us to develop airborne radar.
-Angela Hind, "Briefcase 'that changed the world,'" BBC Radio 4's The World in a Briefcase, Feb. 2007

TECH_SWEPT_WING
Airplanes were invented by natural selection. Now you can say that intelligent design designs our airplanes of today, but there was no intelligent design really designing those early airplanes. There were probably at least 30,000 different things tried, and when they crash and kill the pilot, don't try that again.
-Burt Rutan

TECH_SOCIAL_JUSTICE
It is not possible to be in favor of justice for some people and not be in favor of justice for all people.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

TECH_DISCO
Disco is music for dancing, and people will always want to dance.
-Giorgio Moroder

TECH_SPACE_PROBES
Hello from the children of planet Earth.
-Golden record aboard the Voyager probes

TECH_HARD_ROCK
It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll.
-AC/DC

TECH_FLY_BY_WIRE
Everyone on the program knew that what we were doing was going to be a major breakthrough in flight control.
-Gary Krier, "Digital Fly By Wire: Aircraft Flight Control Comes of Age," NASA.gov

TECH_VIDEO_GAMES
A game is a series of interesting choices.
-Sid Meier

TECH_POWER_PROJECTION
Projecting weakness will not make us safer or discourage attacks against us. We need to show leadership and strength by demonstrating that we will not tolerate violent acts against our people, and we will not leave our citizens or our interests vulnerable to an attack.
-Tom Rooney

TECH_SYNTH_POP
"Video Killed The Radio Star"
-The Buggles

TECH_INFRARED_OPTICS
Now the world has gone to bed,
Darkness won't engulf my head,
I can see in infrared,
How I hate the night.
-Douglas Adams, Life, The Universe, and Everything

TECH_PRECISION_STRIKE
We can be selective, applying precisely the required amount of pressure at the specified point at a designated time--we've never been told to go down and kill or capture all left-handed redheads in a particular area, but if they tell us to, we can. We will.
-Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TECH_STRATEGIC_DEVELOPMENT
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
-Winston Churchill

TECH_NIGHT_VISION
The bullets don't care how dark it is.
-Unknown

TECH_GLOBAL_POSITIONING_SYSTEMS
Right now there are thirty-one satellites zipping around the world with nothing better to do than help you find your way to the grocery store.
-Ed Burnette

TECH_GRUNGE
With the lights out, it's less dangerous! Here we are now, entertain us!
Curt Cobain, Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit

TECH_SPEECH_RECOGNITION
Hello computer.
-Montgomery Scott, Star Trek: The Voyage Home

TECH_FLIGHT_MANAGEMENT
Aviation is the branch of engineering that is least forgiving of mistakes.
-Freeman Dyson

TECH_BATTLE_SPACE_THEORY
In battle, there are no more than the planned and the surprise, yet the combination give rise to endless possible maneuvers.
-Sun Tzu

TECH_REFLECTIVE_ENGINEERING
What we usually consider as impossible are simply engineering problems...there's no law of physics preventing them.
-Michio Kaku

TECH_SMART_PHONES
An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator. [...] These are not three separate devices. This is one device, and we are calling it, iPhone.
-Steve Jobs, from the very first iPhone presentation

TECH_COMPOSITE_ROUNDS
Our .50-caliber bullet can guide itself to a hit half a mile away.
-Larry Shipers, "Rough Sketch: Self-Guided Bullet"

TECH_COMPUTER_FLIGHT_DESIGN
The best flying team has three components: a pilot, a computer, and a dog. The computer is there to fly the plane, the pilot is there to feed the dog. And the dog is there to bite the human if it tries to touch the computer.
-Hannah Fry

TECH_MODULAR_ORBITAL_CONSTRUCTION
Sometimes you have to go up really high to see how small you are.
-Felix Baumgartner

TECH_PROGRAMMABLE_FLAK
We are getting closer to not being able to dodge the bullet.
-Ken Weinberg

TECH_TURRET_AUTOMATION
Through a hole in the ceiling at the far end of the passageway, fog swirled in. Water condensed on bare metal walls and dripped to the floor. The gun did not fire on the falling drops. It was smarter, more selective than that, able to distinguish between harmless natural phenomena and inimical movement.
-Alan Dean Foster, Aliens

TECH_HYPERSONIC_BALLISTICS
Hypersonic systems don't just introduce speed; they bring a combination of speed, maneuverability, range and altitude that makes timely detecting, tracking and defeating particularly difficult.
-Dr. Mark Lewis, "Sensor Tech Key to Effective Missile Defense" by Samantha Beu

TECH_MAGNETIC_LAUNCH
EMALS uses an approach analogous to an electro-magnetic rail gun, in order to accelerate the shuttle that holds the aircraft. That approach provides a smoother launch, while offering up to 30% more launch energy potential to cope with heavier fighters. It also has far lower space and maintenance requirements, because it dispenses with most of the steam catapult's [...] systems.
-Ryan White, "Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS)"

TECH_INFORMATIONAL_WARFARE
The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command [...] And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed--if all records told the same tale--then the lie passed into history and became truth.
-George Orwell, 1984

TECH_SUPPRESSION_WEAPON_SYSTEMS
It's a reasonable discussion about what level of violence requires what level of response. Wherever the line gets drawn, however, it is better to use a high-tech electronic beam than batons, tear gas, and ultimately, firearms.
-Mark Cancian, "'Heat Ray' And 'The Voice Of God': My Experience With The Nonlethal Weapons Eyed For Use in D.C. Protests"

TECH_LOW_GRAVITY_ENGINEERING
The microgravity [...] that we have up in space forces some changes in different processes. It forces changes in us as human beings.
-Laurel Clark

TECH_MICROGENERATORS
The power of the sun...in the palm of my hand!
-Dr. Otto Octavius, Spider-Man 2

TECH_RAPID_DESCENT_CONTROL
"Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship."
-Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

TECH_ELECTRICAL_WAR_ENGINES
Typically something like an Abrams in combat would be difficult to hide, but if a tank could linger beneath a thick forest of trees and operate while remaining entirely silent and not emitting heat, the combat advantages would be enormous.
-Kris Osborn, "Army May 'Hybridize' Abrams Tanks With Electrical Propulsion"

TECH_LIGHT_RAILGUN
Velocitas eradico.
-US Navy railgun project, late 2000s

TECH_ORBITAL_STRIKES
Nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
-Ellen Ripley, Aliens

Last edited:
Very handy. Once all are done i can start taking all mapped out steps to including. Will need some pedia info if folks would like to help flesh those out too.

Ah, the next OFFICIAL release is coming, hehehe.
Would it be overly brazen of me to ask for a really small favor of removing one not-really-a-culture (you know which one), in case a thorough all-cultures overhaul isn't yet in the plans?
Just asking, even if NO.

Top Bottom