v86 Carthage, Spain and India

simplicissimus

Chieftain
I finished three v86-games through role playing victory: Carthage, Spain and India, all on Prince.

As Carthage I didn´t found Sur right on the spot but took my settler to Tunesia and found Carthage as my capital to get those victory-points as Byzantium and Arabia will get Sur nonetheless when they spawn. At the coasts of Morocco, Algeria and Tunesia I could slowly build up my little empire. A few spearmen, elephants and archers to encounter barbarians. A city in Spain and one in just west of the dye in Lybia and a war against Greece to get the city the found on Cyprus and the rest was just a question of time. I achieved the 1000 points for victory in the 12th century.

I found 2 things:

I wasn´t able to build a watermill in Carthage although it is adjacent to a river:

Civ5Screen0005.gif

The pop-up of the music-science is missing the text:

Civ5Screen0006.gif

Spain was faily easy as the only other European power to get a city in the New World was England with Georgetown in Guyana. I won in the middle of 18th century.

Playing as India I focused on religion and tried some strategies there as war slowers your victory. I won in 1890ies.
I wasn´t able to build a plantation to harvest the spices near Chittagong:

Civ5Screen0007.gif

You can remove jungle when you research biology I believe. But that's fairly late in the game. There's a few other spots like this around the map with resources on jungle or marshes that can't be developed till very late game.

Spain is easily my favourite civ, it's not that I like Spain in regular civ. Its just that iberia is the best part of the map for food and production. Conquistadors are also much cheaper than settlers allowing for a large empire. A tip for spain is to save your gold and then when Portugal spawns buy all the tiles near them so they don't get any land. Also the river next to Carthage seems to be river on one tile but not for the other side.

Ah, I think I know what happened, then. Sometimes, tiles get improved automatically when a City State is spawning. If there's Jungle or Forest beneath the ressource it is not getting cleared (which often improves the tile yield).

Top Bottom