v86 Egypt

El Bogus

Prince
I played Egypt (on Prince this time).
I achieved a Cultural Victory in turn 208 with the Tourism boost from religious buildings. I am sure this victory could be done by any civ with the ICS strategy which is far easier in RFC since you can spam your empire with cities that are just one tile away from each other. It is easier with Egypt, though, because you don't have to wait to discover the new world civs and because you can build your temple incredibly early which additionally gives 2 :c5happy:. And what are you going to do with all the Flood Plain tiles any way, right?
Which leads me to my main observation: Why have the Nile area and Mesopotamia been nerfed so hard (compared to RFC for Civ IV)? In the previous iteration these were incredibly powerful regions to control. Given, you couldn't farm these tiles then, too. But you could cottage them fairly early and they were powerful tiles with 3 :food: 1 :commerce: on their own. Now, you would have to wait until the discovery of Guilds to build Trading Posts which were also nerfed because you can't build them everywhere. The only thing that is feasible imo is to do what I did and hope for the early win.
I get that the mod is still in development but I want to make a suggestion: A) Make the Flood Plains farmable, or B) place a few Wheat ressources in there and relocate some of the Masonry Ressources onto the Floodplains. This would directly lead to making these tiles less useless.
Also, Flood Plains get destroyed whenever you settle them which leads to the awkward situation that you can't move your own settlers through your cities because they can't walk onto desert tiles. Is there a way this could be avoided?
My last suggestion is about the Nile Delta: Is there any reason Alexandria is not reachable by land for Egypt? I was lucky enough that Greece settled it for me to conquer it. Secondly, can I suggest to change the marshes to grasland as it was in Civ IV RFC? That region was not an uninhabited wasteland. And thirdly, the Flood Plain directly east to these marsh tiles appears to not be connected to a river. Because of that, you can't found a city there which - in retrospect - could have been done to avoid a super early Suez Canal.

Please excuse all that criticism. I had fun trying out this new strategy, even though I doubt this would be the intended way to play Egypt.

Attachments

• RFC CV Egypt.Civ5Save
    995.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Egyptian Central Africa.jpg
    Egyptian Central Africa.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Nile.jpg
    Nile.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: PiR
Personally I made flood plains 3 food so they're stronger at the start but weaker than farms by the industrial era.

mmm, this is a tricky matter.
I have witnessed so many times a super-Egypt, thanks to all that extra food.
You also achieved a victory quite early. Now if we add wheat resources and make flood plains farmable, what will be the result?

Regarding the problems of the settlers, I really don't know... any ideas for a solution?
I have no idea if this would be possible: If the floodplains wouldn't get destroyed when you settle them the settlers could pass the cities again.
You also achieved a victory quite early.
Yeah, but it was kinda cheesy, wasn't it? I just exploited the low city distance and the super early temples.
Now if we add wheat resources and make flood plains farmable, what will be the result?
I meant that as an either/or suggestion. Wouldn't you be able to farm an otherwise non-farmable tile when there is wheat on top of it?

Alexandria cut off the rest of the land is on purpose to have the Greeks found it. But you can embark and found it too, isn't it?

Regarding the problems of the settlers, I really don't know... any ideas for a solution?
Would maybe having unique settlers be available for certain civs be a solution? I.e 'desert settlers' for civs like arabia/babylon/persia/egypt? This was those cities could move settlers over desert but no other ones could

I have witnessed so many times a super-Egypt, thanks to all that extra food.
I have thought about this and imo this would be more appropriate than Egypt being a non-factor in the game. I mean, Egypt was a (regional) super power for almost 3000 years and after this still one of the most important provinces in the Roman Empire and the Arabian Caliphate thereafter.

Top Bottom