v88 released

Rhye

's and Fall creator
Double update this time, I hope you'll like it.
I could not fix all the issues that you reported, but I did most of those I had written in my notes. If there are still recurring problems, please do not hesitate to report them.

Besides many small issues, the biggest changes of v87 affected Egypt, Germany, Russia and the US. See screenshot below.
After the changes, Russia seems to not expand its border much. I wonder why.
V88 instead introduces a Native American faction (which uses the Iroquois graphics) as a major playable civ. The style of play is completely different, as it's a kind of territory defensive survival game. The Natives may also become a serious candidate for victory if some conditions happen.

When you play, please prioritise these mentioned civs. Also European colonising powers may be worth testing, as you will have to deal with the Natives.

v87 changelog
- crash caused by weird city borders of Pirates and Mediterranean cities fixed
- Schleswig-Holstein can no longer be founded
- fixed spices position in Vietnam
- adjusted again tech speed
- reduced allowed number of siege units and naval melee units
- fixed glitch leading to too many battleships (galleasses were not capped)
- Frigate obsolete with Combustion
- fixed wrong links in the Pedia
- Vikings start with Metal Casting
- Longboat lasts until Navigation and upgrades to Frigate instead of Caravel
- Fixed problem when Dutch and Portuguese settlers were pushed into the sea
- Inquisitors and Missionaries do not get created at New World encounter (would be useless)
- reshaped rivers near Berlin, Moscow, Delhi and Beijing
- higher stability bonus for city conquered
- tuned years of respawn of Rome as city state
- anticipated spawn dates of African cities in order to stop Egyptian potential expansion
- Removed Sana’a and added Agordat as second Ethiopian city. Their starting date is anticipated in order to act as a block to Egypt on the eastern sea.
- Settlers now may move through cities founded on deserts (flood plains) as the plot is actually converted into a plain (especially relevant for Egypt)
- US now stronger thanks to a new ability from Civ4 RFC “American Dream”: population migrates from other civs, providing a boost of population
- The US unique ability is now reassigned to Russia, as it can be useful for expanding in empty lands. Russia has Siberia in this map, should not need a “Siberian riches” trait. Discount for tiles raised to 75%.
- The Russian unique ability is now reassigned to Germany, providing an industrious boost while replace the useless barbarians trait.
- Germany gets victory points by capturing cities in Europe, and loses point by having them captured.
- fixed bug happening when rebel civ captures a palace
- fixed wrong coordinates of Mongolian barbarian conversion area
- fixed stability maps for some civs
- added missing quotes and descriptions of added techs
- city states will spawn again even if in the middle of a route. This is because otherwise Rome would be prevented from respawning.
- disabled popup button of policies. Was too annoying when you have to select many of them in advanced starts.
- fixed Japanese victory check area

v88 changelog
- added Native American playable faction complete with Role Playing Victory
- tuned Phoenician victory modifiers

Last edited:
Very interesting uchronia! The United States finally seem to be a main actor now.

v87_paris2cut2.jpg

Looks awesome! Looking forward to testing the natives!

Tried a quick game as the natives (until just before 1700) The natives are really hard i got a total of 6 pathfinders, 2 mohawk warriors and 1 composite bowman. These units were really weak against the european settlements (18 strength minumum.) Not sure how to do well, managed to take and raise new york once but it was resettled. Any advice on the natives. Also the europeans settled much better in my game than before. Canada and Louisiana owned by France, 13 colonies owned by England. Great Job Rhye.

Tried a quick game as the natives (until just before 1700) The natives are really hard i got a total of 6 pathfinders, 2 mohawk warriors and 1 composite bowman. These units were really weak against the european settlements (18 strength minumum.) Not sure how to do well, managed to take and raise new york once but it was resettled. Any advice on the natives. Also the europeans settled much better in my game than before. Canada and Louisiana owned by France, 13 colonies owned by England. Great Job Rhye.

I am looking forward to hear advices on how to tune the units to be assigned: how many, which types, and every how many turns.

Cool! I also tried a native american game, some observations:
- no Portugal in the major civ list for them, seems they would be an important civ to have?
- a few turns after spawn i got a message for the aztecs adopting an ideology. I checked the screen and every other known civ also had an ideology.
- around 1720 i got a couple comanche warriors as a spawn. Some turns later i decided to reload because i kamikazed into New Orleans and it didn't go very well. But after reloading I never got the comanche spawn, or any other spawn after that date (if there are any, but I feel there should be). Also the US never appeared so I don't know what went wrong.

Last edited:
- around 1720 i got a couple comanche warriors as a spawn. Some turns later i decided to reload because i kamikazed into New Orleans and it didn't go very well. But after reloading I newer got the comanche spawn, or any other spawn after that date (if there are any, but I feel there should be). Also the US never appearedso I don't know what wemt wrong.
i've looked at the code before, the spawns for extra units is random, so loading an old save might mean that units that did spawn might not spawn again.

Portugal absent? Strange...I will check.
America absent? Even more strange, and this sounds like an error (python exception) may have prevented the spawn.
If you have the log and didn't close and reopen Civ, I can check.

Here's my log!
Portugal is absent even from the list when you choose the civ, the US is there but in the game it didn't spawn.
Are the unit spawns completely random? How do you ensure the challenge is even possible if so? I assumed the date would be slightly randomized but I waited a lot of turns until I noticed the US not appearing.

Attachments

• Lua.txt
    10.3 MB · Views: 21
I recognized that around 1700 the stability-status of the other civs disappeared in the diplomacy-view (I tried Russia and Germany for now); save-games attached. Sorry but screenshots didn´t work for some reason.

Attachments

• Bismarck_0450 AD-1658.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Catherine_0475 AD-1733.Civ5Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Another question about Russia I already noticed before:

Is it intentional you can´t send a settler in the region of Tomsk and Surgut?

Between the deer and the sheep south of Surgut you have marshes and east to Tomsk (NW of the Gold) there´s a Tundra-tile unpassable for settlers.

Attachments

• 1673895876368.jpeg
    1673895876368.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 41
I'm trying the US and I am noticing a couple things:
- immediately on spawn I was able to choose an ideology. Chose Freedom for 6 foreign legion (far better than anything the europeans have at the time) and was able to swiftly conquer everything in north America. I think ideology should be pushed back in the tech three.
- I was able to make peace with native americans and pirates.

ideology should be pushed back in the tech three -> pushed back means later or earlier?
I was able to make peace with native americans and pirates. -> somehow i was never able to do that. Do you get the option by clicking on the city, or do you get a popup, or something else?

ideology should be pushed back in the tech three -> pushed back means later or earlier?
I was able to make peace with native americans and pirates. -> somehow i was never able to do that. Do you get the option by clicking on the city, or do you get a popup, or something else?
Having looked at the code before, perhaps you could set every tech column to be its own era for more start dates and not needing to you modern and later eras. This would give more start dates and fix the problem of policy trees coming earlier in later start games

I mean that ideologies should appear later. I had to switch from freedom to autocracy around 1820 because everyone had an ideology and the pressure was too much.

As for making peace with the pirates I think I clicked on the notification when I met them, not the city directly.
The natives (the civ) asked for peace themselves.

Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom