Vacation Advice (Scotland, England)

JerichoHill

Bedrock of Knowledge
Like Igloodude, I'll be heading to England for a few weeks this summer, late June to early July. We have a vague idea of where we will be, but I'd like to know from folks over there what they would recommend.

We'll be in Edinborough for a few days, then Highlands, then London, then around England (oxford? henge?) then Leicester for a wedding. In Scotland I plan on some castles and scotch tours, but which ones?

And well, london is a total mystery. I'm interested in viewing a rugby game..

Thanks for the help

First of all it's Edinburgh, call it Edinborough and the Scots get pissy. Edinburgh castle is obviously the starting point if you want some castle fun in Edinburgh, it's pretty cool and almost covers the English hatred pretty well. You could always try a ghost tour, I think they run from princess street of a night time.

Don't know about the Highlands really, I'm in Cumbria right now so there isn't such a big deal for me to go to the highlands whilst there are hills nearby...

London, I guess you could just check out ID's thread. I'm always at a loss as to why people go and visit Oxford, it is quite boring IMO but try it, you might enjoy it.

You could always see a Leicester rugby game whilst your there, they're reigning champions so should be a reasonable watch. However, if you're coming late June then i don't think the season is still running.

First of all it's Edinburgh, call it Edinborough and the Scots get pissy. Edinburgh castle is obviously the starting point if you want some castle fun in Edinburgh, it's pretty cool and almost covers the English hatred pretty well. You could always try a ghost tour, I think they run from princess street of a night time.

Don't know about the Highlands really, I'm in Cumbria right now so there isn't such a big deal for me to go to the highlands whilst there are hills nearby...

London, I guess you could just check out ID's thread. I'm always at a loss as to why people go and visit Oxford, it is quite boring IMO but try it, you might enjoy it.

You could always see a Leicester rugby game whilst your there, they're reigning champions so should be a reasonable watch. However, if you're coming late June then i don't think the season is still running.

Ghost tours go from the Royal Mile (street with the castle at one end and the Scottish Parliament at the other), never been but I hear there is a good one and a bunch of fairly rubbish ones...and I don't know which is which :(

If you want to get into the castle for cheap/free; message me when your here. I'm a Life Member of Historic Scotland so I can get in for free (and I can take two guests).

There is also a Whisky Experience thing. That's basically a quick whisky tour; I'm sure they have a website: http://www.whisky-heritage.co.uk/
I've been on that; it was quite good. Went for a more advanced thing and got a few whiskies to try.

You forgot Wales?

JerichoHill

What type of things do you want to see in London and the rest of England

The Tower of London is 900 years old and has some intereasting stuff inside including the crown jewels.

There are some castles near Leicester such as Warwick

Stonehenge isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's very controlled, very touristy; an expensive-yet-brief trot around the stones from a comfortably uninvolved distance. Averbury, while perhaps less iconic or impressive, offers a more pleasant, more authentic experience. Certainly see both if you can, if only for the contrast, but I would certainly recommend the latter. However, the risk of Druidry more than quadruples, so be warned. ;)

Well, if you are to listen to the Scots, the Highlands are the single most perfect example of natural beauty in the world. I'm not inclined to disagree, but, then, I'm a half-breed meself, so I'm a tad biased. ;)

Well, if you are to listen to the Scots, the Highlands are the single most perfect example of natural beauty in the world. I'm not inclined to disagree, but, then, I'm a half-breed meself, so I'm a tad biased. ;)

I'm quite sure it's very nice but when i have the equivalent in the back garden it seems pointless to drive there.

Compare the (many) Scottish castles with some English ones (such as Arundel). Other locations you might like are Ipswich (the first Saxon city) and Chichester (the first Roman city).

ohh good ideas. Yeah, I wanted to see Rugby but I know its not in season. What about cricket?

Kal, I will most definitely be in touch when I am in Scotland. Free admission to a measure + Civfanatics? Awesome. My first stop is Edin and I hope that Adam Smith's house is well marked...kind of a mecca for economists ya know?

I'm wanting to spend a day or so @ Speyside and go through the distilleries. I understand Glen Morangie 30 year is being unveiled about the time I am there, so I want to pick up a few bottles (huge scotch fan, cause umm, im scottish)

I'd prefer to avoid the touristy crud, so thanks for the warning about stonhenge. Averbury sounds nicer.

Chichester , first roman city? Now that sounds cool.

I'd like to know what are the really real, and good English Pubs, and what tavern should be visited in Edin, Glasgow, and Speyside.

You could always get the 'Good Pubs Guide' generally a reasonable indication of the better pubs in the area, every man and his dog has an opinion of the best pub otherwise.
http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/

You could pop along to Bath to see the Roman Baths but I'm not sure on your timeframe/ability to travel.

Cricket is in season then from what i remember, perhaps try and see Middlesex CC play as they play at Lords (probably the most iconic ground).

Kal, I will most definitely be in touch when I am in Scotland. Free admission to a measure + Civfanatics? Awesome. My first stop is Edin and I hope that Adam Smith's house is well marked...kind of a mecca for economists ya know?

Adam Smiths House is in Kirkcaldy. I could find out more. I know theres a statute on the Royal Mile etc.

I'm wanting to spend a day or so @ Speyside and go through the distilleries. I understand Glen Morangie 30 year is being unveiled about the time I am there, so I want to pick up a few bottles (huge scotch fan, cause umm, im scottish)

There are certainly enough distilleries to stay for more than a day.

I'd prefer to avoid the touristy crud, so thanks for the warning about stonhenge.

Edinburgh in June/July pretty touristy not as bad as during the fringe...

I'd like to know what are the really real, and good English Pubs, and what tavern should be visited in Edin, Glasgow, and Speyside.

I'm sure I can think of something for Edinburgh :p

Edinburgh in June/July pretty touristy not as bad as during the fringe...
Well, Edinburgh's always touristy, if you let it be. It's really down to what you visit. Even in tourist season, it won't be that bad everywhere.

Well, Edinburgh's always touristy, if you let it be. It's really down to what you visit. Even in tourist season, it won't be that bad everywhere.

In tourist season the population doubles. Everything else is easy...

You could come to Wigan but it's awesomeness may ruin the rest of the tour.

Edinburgh:

I recommend a wander up Calton Hill, my friends and I wandered up it and were rewarded will some excellent views and a few famous graves.

Spoiler Cool grave with skulls on next to David Hume's resting place :

Having a walk along the Water of Leith is also recommended, the bit we happened upon was like a little bit of Holland that had somehow got stuck in the middle of Edinburgh. The castle is overrated IMO, though I haven't been in a number of years. Jimmy Chung's does a cheap, fantastic Chinese buffet.

Oxford:

Oxford's pretty nice. Good museums, so many famous sites that I take them for granted... I found out the other day that I've been walking past Hubble's house for three years without ever noticing it. I'd recommend the Ashmo and the Pitt Rivers. You should also try out punting. Churchill's grave is not far from Oxford, in Blenheim... for some reason I have in my head that graves are cool places to visit.

Highlands:

Glencoe! The Lost Valley is a nice walk, as is the Buachaille if you're tolerant of occasional avalanches. Glen Nevis is pretty cool aswell... real life location of Hogwarts (in that they filmed it there IIR).

London:

I hear it has a bridge. That might be nice.

* Oh, and if you do come to Oxford and want a tour guide, I'd be happy to oblidge. Provided I'm not at work.

You could come to Wigan but it's awesomeness may ruin the rest of the tour.

That and you may not have your belongings for the rest of the tour...

On the subject of the bridge in Tru's post, make sure you see Tower Bridge rather than London Bridge. It is immediately obvious the difference but the pointless travel to the latter will definitely annoy you. Rumour has it that some American bought London bridge thinking that it was Tower bridge but then sold it back when he realised it was just a crap concrete bridge.

Huh, good points BCLG.

Tru, I'll probably take up your offer. Will be in Oxford though during the weekday. But hell, Tru likely knows the best local pub in town, and dammit, I'm going to pubs when I'm in England and not the tourist ones.

David Hume? I might visit his ghost.

If I was going to Scotland I'd check out Findhorn but not sure it's on your route.

I spent four days in the UK myself (back in 1999) and a rugby game was on my agenda as well (I ended up seeing one in Reading, taking a train there from London & thinking about Monopoly en route).

Top Bottom