Vadim Kozlov Revealed

This is a spoiler tag.

Spoiler :
[spoil er]No spaces between the l and e.[/spoil er]

They're often used with large images so people with small resolutions don't have to horizontally scroll to navigate the forum.

I fixed it and will make a note to do it in the future. :)

In Russian, the Great Soviet Encyclopedia (on par with "War and Peace") is synomym of something big and vast. Nobody cares about the Great Russian Encyclopedia. :crazyeye:

Oh, I didn't know that. It makes sense, then.

Oh my God. Thank you, Firaxis, I am almost crying my warm heart out. This guys deserve a medal for "Absolute Zero Cranberry Project". I really respect that. And did they provide a Russian hugest gaming site with the material exclusively? That is extremely nice but cruel for the rest of the world.

The translation you asked above follows:

Original.
Меня когда-то сравнивали с Юрием Гагариным, пионером космонавтики. С изрядной долей смущения, но я вынужден признать правомочность этого сравнения. И не только потому, что я такой же простой парень из рабочей семьи, грезивший о звездах, о пыльных тропинках далеких планет. Что тогда, что сейчас мы стоим на пороге значительных перемен. Тогда мы впервые шагнули за пределы Земли. Теперь мы уходим навсегда.

В этот печальный и торжественный миг начала первого года новой эры я хочу поздравить всех вас с Новым, 2210-м, годом!

Поехали!

The translation.
I have been sometimes compared to Yuri Gagarin, the space flight pioneer. With a great load of embarrassment I must confirm the validity of this comparison. And I do it not only because I am the same plain guy from a family of workers, who dreamed about stars since childhood, dreamed about “the dusty trails of far-away planets (1)”. Both in that past and now we are still standing at the edge of huge changes. In that past we were the first to make a step past the Earth boundaries. Now – we are leaving forever.

In this sad and triumphant moment, in the beginning of the first year of the new era I would like to congratulate you all with the new, 2210, year!

Let's go! (2)

(1) A line from the song “14 minutes until Launch” see more http://www.peoples.ru/art/literatur...obronravov/chetyrnadcat_minut_do_starta.shtml
(2) An obvious reference to Gagarin's famous words “Let's go!” (Poyehali!) said through the comm to the flight control center at the liftoff moment. Used in post-Soviet society in the same way as NASA's “Liftoff, we have a liftoff”, both in serious allegories and in jokes about space.

Wow, I had no idea that the speech had so much smart references of Russian culture. I started to like it a lot more. They put a lot of effort in this tribute to the Russian space pioneering. Didn't see that level of detail on the other blog entries.

Wow, I had no idea that the speech had so much smart references of Russian culture. I started to like it a lot more. They put a lot of effort in this tribute to the Russian space pioneering. Didn't see that level of detail on the other blog entries.

I did some research and in the comments, where people doubt this material to be a fake (for it is very correct and we are not used to a correct depicting of Soviet Union/Russia) the editor confesses, that Firaxis asked Igromania to write the article, checked it for lore compatibility and allowed to post it as a part of the lore.

So, Firaxis used a kind of outsource, ordering russians to write about SF. The author himself is presented on the page, nerdish guy in glasses in the left.

I think they just got completely stuck after "Butthurt about General" and "Stanislaw Lem is a Russian writter" issues, and wanted to hedge the risks and avoid negative feedback.

The editor and the author will be lost in re-posts, the media will translate only the article itself, and the post-soviet market will be charmed, shouting "Firaxis is cool" and producing happy bubbles (as I did).

Smart moves.

Top Bottom