1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

VALETTA loves you!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by GKShaman, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Does Valetta Rock?

Poll closed Sunday at 12:11 AM.
  1. Yes Of Course!

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Indubitably So!

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Sometimes. My good sir don't be absolute!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. GKShaman

GKShaman Chieftain

So this thread is just a shoutout just for VALETTA the city state - whenever I see it and Im planning to build several cities for theater squares or faith buildings - I wish to have Valetta close to me.

Since India gets free faith from other civs that found a religion and Russia with the artic pantheon and cheap Lavra gets 25+ faith a turn by turn 40 based on just 2-3 Lavras - Valetta's ability of faith buying Monuments, Granaries, Sewers, Water Mills, and then Barracks, Stables, Military Academies, and Armories is AWESOME.

Also dont forget you can build half of these in the first turn u settle a new city. In addition once the encampment is up - all of these buildings provide, housing, food, and production AND gold (with a card) - its just straight gravy.

Attached Files:

Uberfrog likes this.
  2. Haig

Haig Chieftain

Wow never figured out they were that good, gotta befriend them next.

I'm more of a La Venta guy myself. :)

3. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

yup. free (or rather, cheap) medieval walls also makes monarchy viable

4. bbbt

bbbt Chieftain

Yeah it's pretty great, it's abilities seem like they should be a faith belief rather than a city-state!

Actual Valletta - and Malta overall - is also a pretty great place to visit.

burleigh likes this.
  5. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Chieftain

What's Valetta's bonus again?

6. Jarms48

Jarms48 Chieftain

You can buy city-centre and encampment buildings with faith. It's pretty good if you're playing a faith purchasing strategy, and it's okay even if you're not going heavy religion because it gives you something to spend faith on (other than great people).

Personally I think Carthage is better, it offers so much more utility. It also plays well with many other city-state bonuses.

7. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji Chieftain

If you've been toying with religion or can't find a better way to spend faith, Valetta sure offers a good option. Though I usually only use it for Granaries, Monuments, Water Mills and the occasional wall.

But with Russia or India I'd maybe use either Theocracy (for Domination), Jesuit Education (for Science and Culture) or simply buying Apostles and Missionaries as faith sink.

8. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Chieftain

Being able to cheaply add thise buildings for faith is great. Sure, the extra trade routes from Carthage are great but they require you to maintain Suzerain status. If you can get Suzerain status even for a couple turns it can save you a lot of hammers. This opportunity is particularly attractive if you aren't banking faith for some other purpose.

9. 4N4C0ND4

4N4C0ND4 King

I voted thinking it was Carthage lol. Still learnt it worked for encamp as well.

10. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji Chieftain

That's a good point. You can send 3 or 6 envoys for the bonuses, faith-buy those buildings.and never look back. For Carthage, sometimes you need to continuously send envoys (I've disputed Carthage using as much as 12 envoys)

Mr. Shadows likes this.
  11. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

I think you can also rush walls which can be useful if caught in an unexpected war. I've made use of the Valetta bonus more than a few times but usually only when I play faith based games which is somewhat infrequent. I would say they are situationally useful. Carthage is my favorite military CS by far.

Siptah likes this.
  12. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji Chieftain

And still no love for Preslav :rotfl:

13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Preslav can be great in some (rare) situations. +5 to all mounted units would be a great bonus. +5 for mounted units on hill tiles is not so great imho. And I don't even know if it counts when you attack from a hill tile to a non-hill tile. Or only if you attack onto a hill tile...

14. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan Chieftain

Apologies for semi-necroing a thread...

After playing a game as Mvemba, I HATE Valetta. The way I understand it's bonus, walls can ONLY be purchased with faith. Now, I have a sizeable empire of 16 cities I have to defend, and the yields that I'm getting are pretty good in all categories but one... 80 beakers per turn, 130 culture per turn, 140 gold per turn... but 3 faith per turn. As this leader is unable to build holy sites (which have the faith buildings and faith-adjacency bonuses), you can end up in a situation like this often if you don't select a faith pantheon, which usually doesn't complement the Kongo strategy.

So I'm currently at 2 envoys with Valetta who has no suzerein and am desperately trying to get all my walls up and NOT to get a musketman (which is really needed for Mvemba since his swordsman is weaker than the default swordsman) as that would trigger a quest that would get me my third envoy and the dreaded suzerein status with Valetta, which means I effectively cannot use walls. I think I have to conquer Valetta before his "bonus" destroys my ability to defend myself.

15. No-Man

No-Man Chieftain

I don't think that being able to purchase walls with faith takes away your ability to build them. The same way as theocracy lets you purchase units with faith but still leaving you with the possibility to train them in your cities and encampments.

The suzerain bonus reads as follow: "Allows the Suzerain to consume Faith to purchase urban centers and military buildings in their cities. Reduces Faith costs".

I think Valletta is pretty cool. I like purchasing sewers with faith, or buying other city center buildings at the moment I settle anywhere. And in the early game, the possibility of buying walls can be the difference between losing a city or not.

16. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Chieftain

Get Civil Engeneering and stop worriying about walls.