1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vampires don get strenght from kills nearby

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Cyon, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

My vampires wont get the strenght buff from nearby kills, not from barabarian, other players or my own. not from stasndinfg near or killing themself.

2. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

I also don't see the strength sucking animation that was visible during the live stream. Does vampires work for everybody else? Do you need more than one level in the secret society for vampires to gain strength from kills?

3. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

I see the same as you. Nothing.

4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Do you happen to be trying to look at them in a mirror?

5. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

haven't started a game yet, still at the office but... as far as animation goes: Do you maybe have fast movement on ? maybe that doesn't show the blood sucking animation ?

6. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Discussion thread for all vampire related questions.

My question:
    I drank of the red cup and my country has seen its first nightwalker move from village to village.

When I defeated a unit next to the vampire, however, nothing changed. By now I've killed four units next to the vampire, and its combat strength is still a mere 20. All units were Civ units (no barbarians).

Does anyone have any clue how this is supposed to work? Is it a bug? Am I doing it wrong?

7. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

I'm getting the animation (and a bear roar sound effect, I guess vampires roar?), but also not seeing any strength increases for Vampires.

On a tangent, Vampires don't gain exp and don't have a promotion tree, so they're basically just funny melee units. I'm actually rather disappointed.

That seems to be a bug, at least based on how the devs described Vampires during the Secret Society reveal.

For the record, there's another thread that also reported this:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vampires-don-get-strenght-from-kills-nearby.660959/

Vandlys likes this.
  8. Kibikus

Kibikus Warlord

I haven't played with the Vampires yet, but based on the dev livestream on Wednesday:
    Is it possible that the bonus strength is added as a combat modifier, rather than base combat strength?

Vampire.png

9. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

10. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

As @Kibikus points out, your base combat strength doesn't change. The bonus combat strength is applied via a modifier.

acluewithout likes this.
  11. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Yeah this is it, the animation only plays when my vampire kills not for nearby kills, but the strength increase happens but only as a combat modifier. Which means you cant see your strength buff it if you dont have any combat previews nearby. That why I didnt see it.

The vampire are a bit underwhelming until proparly buffed, but the yields from the castles are crazy, i get like 24 food! 10 production, 18 faith 10 culture from ont of them.

12. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It would be nice if all the permanent bonuses for units showed up along with the promotion icons below a unit's XP bar, but apparently that's too much to ask for.

13. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Does the modifier not show up when you mouse over the unit portrait?

14. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

It worked for me. Both blood sucking animation and the bonus strength. (Maybe verifying files and turning off all mods will help?)
    20200724222701_1.jpg

15. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

This forums crapping out for anyone else?

So do vampires gain strength from their own kills? And what is the radius of 'near'?

16. charrison

charrison Chieftain

Unfortunately, the combat modifier for units that have died near the Vampire does not display on the unit abilities panel when mousing over the unit portrait. I have passed that recommendation along! It is a combat modifier and not a base strength adjustment. It is working, though, and will display properly in a combat preview. Vampire units do get strength from their own kills, and "near" is adjacent to the Vampire unit.

17. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Bonus strength applies either when vampire kills a unit or a nearby enemy (adjacent unit) was killed by another unit.

Edit: ninja'ed (or vampired) by Carl!

Pietato likes this.
  18. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Cheers bro.

acluewithout likes this.
  19. Buktu

Buktu Warlord

I guess it would be way to strong if Vampires got bonus base strength. I mean your city strength scales with your units base strength, with a properly stacked vampire you would become unconquerable for anyone without vampires.