Vanilla Game?

I set up a test duel game with Vanilla v1.74 so that everyon could try to open the save a play a turn. I set the password for my civ to "test" if you want to play both sides for a few turns.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/92459/PBEM_Test_BC-2160

There is a .dll file that sometimes causes problems. I tried to attached the .dll file that I used to create this game, but it was too big. Depending on whether I'm playing a GOTM or PBEM, I have to switch which DLL I'm using. It's a pain, but it works. I don't have BTS, but it may work for you guys as well. The file goes in you C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets folder. PM me with your e-mail address if you want me to send you the file.

You guys need to work out the technical issues to make sure that everyone can play.

I forgot to mention starting era as a game setting. I used to always want to play ancient starts. I wanted to nurture my little civ from the stone age all the way into space. However, with PBEM, I'm now leaning more toward starts in the classical era. Each player starts with an archer, worker, settler and scout. Each player also starts with the first two tiers of techs (up to and including writing, bronze working, masonry, preisthood, etc.). So, you can immediately see horses and copper, but not iron.

I'm reluctant to join another game right now. I'm in 6 games now and only 3 of them are progressing and fun. Of course, I may change my mind if it appears that everyone here is serious and can commit to at least trying to play one turn/day.

Attachments

• PBEM_Test_BC-2160_to_Huayna_Capac.Civ4SavedGame
    14.8 KB · Views: 71
Ulfang, You should give it a try. Just run the Civ4 shortcut, and see what version it is. It seems like we are running 1.74. If you're there, then you should be good to go.

Mitchum, are you getting in on this game too? If so, that's 4, maybe 5 players.

Alright, well my cousin lost his copy and is ordering it online again. If we can find someone to fill his spot, I'd prefer that so we can get going. Plus he only answers my messages every other day or so and I'm not sure he has the time to play regularly enough. I'll just 1v1 him then.

I wouldn't ask you to be in 7 concurrent games, Mitchum, but we'll need someone else now...

I tried my Civ install yesterday and can load the vanilla 1.74 version so should be ok. I have that Nasa Blue Marble mod install though that makes the maps satellite map quality. Not sure if this would cause a problem?

Ulfang, if you want to send a saved game to me, I'll load it up tonight and see if it works. My email is ms.thenetworker AT gmail DOT com.

DNK, I agree about your cousin. If Ulfang is ready, willing, and able to play, I say you restate the details, just to make sure everyone is on board, collect the final info, and start it up.

Well, I'm playing with BM in another PBEM so I think that mod will be fine. I don't think it affects "core" files that would make it not work in multiplayer. Anyway, glad to have you aboard, I think we'll start with us 4 then.

But first we need to finalize the settings and such. Just respond with what you'd prefer, and if it's important to you, and I'll try to make everyone happy...

1. Speed? I'm thinking normal now. It might take longer, but I've always been a bit averse to quick and Mitchum's post was fairly convincing too. I can, however play on quick so it's really up to you guys.

2. Size? For a 2v2 with some AI thrown in, I'd think standard would do. But would you guys like more AI, and hence less human-human competition at first while we gut our computer foes, or would you like a smaller map with fewer AI? Or just balance it on standard?

3. Type? I think it comes down to pangaea vs. continents. Like I said, fractal risks a lone start too much. With continents, though, things tend to get unbalanced, with one continent being significantly larger than the other. Pangaea pretty much gets rid of the naval aspect, though. I have no real preference.

4. Other options? Like I said, I don't like barbs. I also think permanent alliances would make sense for a team game, for obvious reasons. We could always switch up climate to tropical since we'll be starting classical and have iron working right there. Would give us more bang for our buck in terms of land, which would speed up the game if we do normal speed, since we'd have more food at our disposal for better economies and research, on the whole.

5. Preferred AI difficulty?
I'm thinking noble now, with Mitchum's post.

6. Teams? Should we decide now or wait until we get into the game and see who's next to whom - maybe decide in 20 turns or so when we have a decent idea of the map? Or did you want FFA? I definitely, if you couldn't tell, prefer teams, but everyone gets a voice.

7. Leader? I'll decide last and let you guys get first picks.

Oh, and go ahead and PM me your e-mails and times you can play. Hopefully we can get this started tonight finally!

I'm easy on what setting. for me the slower the game the better but will go with the majority vote. Not really bothered about size or teams but agree it would be good to have some ai opponents as this will be the first proper Civ PBEM i've played as the other one didn't really go anywhere. As for teams I think it would be best in game. No point working out teams now and then being all over the map although if it's a small map it may not matter too much!?

As for Leader if I'm having a radom Civ (as I'm not that bothered who) I can't pick a leader cos I don't know who I'm playing lol.

Ulfang is good to go, I was able to open the file without a problem.

1. Normal is great with me.
2. Standard should work fine.
3. I'm fine with either Pangea or continents. Since we are doing teams, have you looked at the team maps? I played one recently, and you can control the start positions.
4. I don't have any preferences.
5. Noble is fine by me.
6. If it's a random map, we should wait until the start.
7. Roosevelt would be my first choice.

If you do a custom game, there is one called "team battleground", then there is one called ring. There are some others too.

If you start choosing maps, it you'll notice that some of them have team options. Then the players have a "team" option next to them. I can't remember how to bring up the world editor, I thought it was ctrl+W, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Ahh, it's alt+w, but you can also access it from the main menu. This way you could look at the maps and see what they'll be like. If you didn't want to go with a random map.

Hey, that's cool, I didn't realize that custom continents let you control the number of continents.

Okay, so I found out that you don't even have to play a "team" map to have teams. You can make teams in the custom game screen for any map and it groups the people together. I tried it on custom continents and fractal, and it worked in both.

I tried it numerous times on fractal, and it's usually very balanced in terms of how much land each team has to expand into. If one team starts alone on a continent, they're given lots of room, so that even if the other team starts on a 4-man continent, both will run equal for most of the game.

There's some concern for unfair starts, where one team will be a bit hemmed in, but for the most part it's pretty balanced.

So, no need for permanent alliances either.

What do you guys think? Also, give passwords to me via PM.

Any of those are fine by me. I may be wrong, but I think that if you put people on the same team, they have a permanent alliance, and share research, etc.

Yeah, they do share research, although each can research whatever he likes.

Normal Speed
Noble difficulty.
Lets beat up on AI. Standard will be fine.
I'd like Continents. I like to bring Naval and (hopefully) Air force tactics into play.
Wouldn't barbs. On Noble, they are not more than a pesky fly anyway.

Don't care about the rest. Though we have not decided on tech trading. I prefer it to be on. If we go without any AI, it is moot anyway.

I've sent my leader requests. It won't make a difference until I know who my teammate is of you 3, then we can discuss leadership traits and strengths.

I usually play 20:30 and 22:00 Sunday-Friday. My Wife gets me on Saturdays. You should have my email already.

Thanks for setting this up

Alright, since everyone seems about equal, I'm just going to go alphabetically for teams.

So it will be DNK & jbieksha vs. Port16 & Ulfang.

Once I get jbieksha's leader choice, I'll send out the first turn! The rotation will be:

DNK -> jbieksha -> Port16 -> Ulfang. I guess technically Ulfang will be "first", being 6 hours off and all.

I'll start a new thread once I have done that for turn reports, etc.

Top Bottom