Vanilla Or....??

Frigkas

Chieftain

My question is simple...Which mode of Civ IV is best??Vanilla or Warlords??By the way i've read online that BTS is very slow even if graphics put to low...is this true?? :king:

BTS is the only one you should play. I find little difference in the performance of each version. In fact, I find BTS performance much better as it probably received more tuning relatively. Adding mods can change things some or a lot.

CIV in generally not really built to handle memory very well and has some memory leaks. It performs much better on 64bit machines.

If you have a fairly recent computer you should have no problem at all with Civ on high settings. It will slow down some after an hour or so of play (no matter how great your rig is). All you have to do is restart or Alt-Tab out and it will run fine again.

I personally play on Warlords, but thats because I cannot find another version of the game anyway nearby (Got the gold edition for a quarter! :D)

From what I've heard around the forums, BTS is the better way to go because of a more vast player base and seeing as how there are metric tons more mods for BTS.

I personally play on Warlords, but thats because I cannot find another version of the game anyway nearby (Got the gold edition for a quarter! :D)

From what I've heard around the forums, BTS is the better way to go because of a more vast player base and seeing as how there are metric tons more mods for BTS.

Same thing happened to me, but I paid $5 though.

Processor : Intel Core i3 2330M - RAM : Single DDR3 4GB - Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 1024 MB
Windows 7 x64
These are my laptop specs.I think that i 'll should be able play BTS as i also know its the best expansion.I play on Warlords too...but if my specs are enough to play BTS i ' ll go for the latest expansion definately....

P.S I'm big fan of Civ series and i know that Civ V is out...but as a traditional player i prefer Civ IV to V.Should i remedy this?Should i try play Civ V as well?? Thank you for your help..........:clap:

Your laptop looks more than fine for Civ IV. The graphic card sucks hard but still light years ahead of any GPU that existed when the game came out.

BTS had some improvement in graphics, but it is not like it was that different resource-wise from Vanilla and Warlords. It is still just an expansion, and not stand-alone. It runs off the vanilla core.

V sucks for Civ diehards, but if you want to try it that is up to you. You can always try the Gods&Kings demo. (Vanilla Civ V is definitely not worth playing)

Yeah i know that my graphics card is awful but as my laptop meets my favorite pc games specs i'm glad.I am an ''old school'' pc gamer and i prefer old time games as 2004 - 2005.How about Civ IV Col??I know it uses civ engine but has it more micromanagment than Civ IV??:confused:

Processor : Intel Core i3 2330M - RAM : Single DDR3 4GB - Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 1024 MB
Windows 7 x64
These are my laptop specs.I think that i 'll should be able play BTS as i also know its the best expansion.I play on Warlords too...but if my specs are enough to play BTS i ' ll go for the latest expansion definately....

P.S I'm big fan of Civ series and i know that Civ V is out...but as a traditional player i prefer Civ IV to V.Should i remedy this?Should i try play Civ V as well?? Thank you for your help..........:clap:

You should try ciV also. But first cherish BTS first. Then you can tell what is better later. You may like ciV...or worse.:mischief:

I've played Civ V in March once in a net - cafe but i've saw that they have changed game interface a lot.Also civics too.I think that V lacks of Leaders and their traits as in IV.Also the ''tile - buying'' system sucks....That's my opinion....So we do love BTS definately.... :D

There are features of vanilla that I prefer over BTS and some in BTS that I don't like at all. However, once I started using BUG mod, I developed a marked preference for BTS. The advantages of BUG are so huge for me, that they more than make up for what I don't like in BTS and miss from vanilla. BUG mod makes the UI what it should have been from the beginning!

My question is simple...Which mode of Civ IV is best??Vanilla or Warlords??By the way i've read online that BTS is very slow even if graphics put to low...is this true?? :king:

No, as the others allready said: there's no significant difference in performance between versions.
And which version is best? Depends a lot on your preferences. BtS sure is the deepest and most complex. However in these days everything has to be streamlined and easily accessible. The whole Civ V disaster is based on the morbid delusion to keep things very streamlined and easily accessible to attract mass market. I'd say if you're looking for a streamlined and easily accessible Civ version, it's Civ IV Vanilla. It's living proof that a game can be deep and complex and also streamlined and easily accessible. From my point of view the game rules and concepts in Civ IV Vanilla are much more logical and much more intuitive for a newbe than Civ Vs surreal and abstract city states, it's global happiness stuff - or it's autistic AI. But Civ V is quite cheap to get, so it does no big harm to try it yourself.

There are features of vanilla that I prefer over BTS and some in BTS that I don't like at all. However, once I started using BUG mod, I developed a marked preference for BTS. The advantages of BUG are so huge for me, that they more than make up for what I don't like in BTS and miss from vanilla. BUG mod makes the UI what it should have been from the beginning!

Personally speaking i like playing a game or its expansions without mods.Of course BTS is itself a major expansion and the best of all of Civ IV.Sure if you add a mod it will become more challenging.But i prefer the game in its initial situation....:D

Personally speaking i like playing a game or its expansions without mods.Of course BTS is itself a major expansion and the best of all of Civ IV.Sure if you add a mod it will become more challenging.But i prefer the game in its initial situation....:D

:agree:
Until now, I never finished even a single mod on the BTS expansion. I tried playing all of them though.

Frig...BUG is not about making the game more or less challenging. It's not about changing the game at all. It stands for BTS Unaltered Gameplay. What is does do is add a User Interface to the game that should have been there in the first place. I encourage you to try it.

Top Bottom