1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vanilla RFC vs. BTS RFC AI colonization

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Lone Wolf, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I've played a game of Vanilla RFC latest patch and I was surprised at how active colonizers the English were. The screenshots are in the "look what happened!" thread.

It had been a regular Vanilla experience for me. But in BTS, the English are rather inept at colonization and there's a bit less colonization in general.

Question mostly to Rhye: can you do anything in the code to make the AI less afraid of colonizing?

2. corovanrobber

corovanrobber King

Considering I just played a BTS game with Willem founding thirteen cities in Australia and six in south Africa.

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Such occurrences are pretty rare.

I mean, England in my vanilla game had

Kimberley
    Windham
    Vizagapatam
    Madras
    Road Town
    Cambridge (in India)
    Cannanore
    Wellington
    Sydney
    Bourke
    Melbourne
    Toronto
    Popham
    Christchurch

In 1852 AD. Later they founded Calcutta, Prince Albert, Port Elizabeth, Gaborone, Perth, Hastings in New Guinea, Walfish Bay, Adelaide, Darwin, 2 more cities in Australia, and Port-Stanely. 14 colonial cites midway, 26 colonial cities founded by the end. I've never seen such a spree in BTS.

4. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Could it be because in BTS they spend some money on the espionage, so expansion costs more, or they research less?

5. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Maybe, although the coders say that the code doesn't really contain lines that tell the AI not to settle, and in classic BTS AI sometimes settles the dumbest waste-of-money spots.

Warlords AI is worse at colonization then Vanilla AI, actually. It has an unhealthy preference for 1-tile islands.

6. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Then maybe Rhye could code the AI to settle or act like the Vanilla AI.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Settling like it would be what I'm asking. Acting like it in general - no. Vanilla AI is mostly dumb.

8. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

That's true. Rhye should merge this with a mod that upgrades the AI's intelligence. (I know how AI means Artificial intelligence)

9. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

But you modded out the giga-empire stability hit, right? So with these modifications, we could see England collapse midway through the age of colonization.

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Most of these cities England settled were in green and yellow territory. I softened the penalty for orange and red, which England had very little of.

11. corovanrobber

corovanrobber King

Could play some role.

12. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

No, it couldn't. Especially since I softened the penalty start for the "bad" tiles in BTS also, yet I never seen such colonization from England in BTS.

Especially since the RFC AI isn't aware of tile stability - else it'd never collapse because of overexpansion. It is just told to avoid settling in bad tiles, but there's no "if I settle that tile, in increases the 32 limit, therefore I shouldn't settle it". But the British empire in my game didn't actually exceed the limit of 32 bad tiles anyway.

13. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Did you play another game after that? Maybe it was just one of those rare colonizing things, like corovanrobber said with his Dutch.

14. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I remember I always had more colonization in Vanilla. But I'll plan to play a Japanese UHV game (new Japanese UHV lasts almost 'till the end, and is one of my favourite UHV's).

15. star15389

star15389 Prince

BtS has higher colonial maintenance than Vanilla. That alone could explain it.

16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Does RFC BTS have colonial maitenance? I don't remember. If it has, then it shouldn't.

17. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Yea it does. If you build the Summer Palace, it gets rid of it, atleast in the cities near it.

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Colonial maitenance or just city-faraway-from-capital maitenance?

Since colonial maitenance was introduced by Firaxis to encourage releasing of colonies, it should have no place in RFC. It's already antiexpansionist enough between stability and tech penalty.

19. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Actual colonies expenses.
    "-3.14 from Colonial Expenses"

20. deanej

deanej Deity

Isn't the tech penalty just so that large empires won't out-tech smaller civs?