Vanilla to BNW

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sharkweather, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Sharkweather

Sharkweather Chieftain

So I had bought the original version of this game a few years ago, but just started getting back into it about a month ago when I purchased a better computer. How big of a learning curve am I looking at from jumping straight from vanilla to BNW next week?

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Ummm.. a big one.. because in addition to the new BNW mechanics, you will also need to learn the G&K mechanics.

3. Jon the Bastard

Jon the Bastard Warlord

There will be a learning curve for sure, but it's not impossible to get a handle on. Feel free to add me as a friend on here and send a private message if you have some more specific questions. Otherwise, just jump in and start playing and any time you have a question about anything, post it here on the forums. Everyone here is very helpful and they have a lot of really great advice to give. :goodjob:

4. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

It's not so bad. I have a friend who hasn't even played the game and I'm going to get him into it, but I told him to wait until BNW specifically so he wouldn't have to learn in stages.

5. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

I would say to get the whole damned thing (all DLCs, GnK, and BNW).
    It would be like you bought one huge mega expansion.

Jump in the cold deep water via a big cannon ball jump.
    Plus the good thing is... you're not stuck with your own GnK old strategies build order. In a way, you will handle all aspects and features on equal footing.

6. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Exactly. I think having a lot of experience with the "middle expansion" is a bit of a nuisance once the final xpack comes out.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

And if you think the game is though, lowe the difficulty! Hell, play on Warlord for your first game or Settler to get the hang of the game :)

8. EnterDOT

EnterDOT Chieftain

I'd choose Warlord. Really, Settler makes the game boring. Warlord is not like King or Prince, but it is spicy enough to give you an understanding of the game. (I had my first game of Civ IV and Civ V both on Warlord. No regrets!)