Varietas Delectat and Ethnic City Styles for DoC

Leoreth, I got a problem during extracting and copying the files to the Assets folders. It complains that "Italian Ship of the Line" is too long as a folder name. I'm using the Steam version.

Who is complaining? Windows? Your archive manager?

Who is complaining? Windows? Your archive manager?

Windows, though I think I managed to fix the problem after locating the mod in My Games instead of the usual game directory.

A rather unusual issue: since this module was released back when the Holkan was a Spearman replacement, the Mayans don't have a unique graphic for their Spearmen; they appear as vanilla BtS Spearmen.

Oh, that's a good observation. I think the old Holkan graphics will do?

(Wrong post)

A problem related to how VD works... this is difficult to explain and even more considering I'm not a native speaker, but I must try:

The XML files at Modules\Varietas Delectat\XML\UnitArtStyles&CivInfos have new definitions of what UnitMeshGroup will each unit use, overriding those set in the regular Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml . The problem is that the number of UnitMeshGroup blocks defined in one file has to match those in the other to be overriden correctly.
Many units in CIV4UnitInfos.xml only use 1 UnitMeshGroup with an iRequired count of 3 for simplification, so they use that one art_def three times to make the unit "battalion". When the VD_<civ>_CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml overrides, it will only override that one UnitMeshGroup with the first one in the StyleUnit list, so the unit will simply use that one new art_def three times, instead of using all the new UnitMeshGroups as intended.

Example: the Ottoman janissaries have this block in the regular CIV4UnitInfos.xml:
Code:
			<UnitMeshGroups>
				<UnitMeshGroup>
					<iRequired>3</iRequired>
					<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY</EarlyArtDefineTag>
				</UnitMeshGroup>
			</UnitMeshGroups>
And the file VD_Ottoman_CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml would try to change that to this:
Code:
				<StyleUnit>
					<UnitType>UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY</UnitType>
					<UnitMeshGroup>
						<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_OFFICER</EarlyArtDefineTag>
						<LateArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_OFFICER</LateArtDefineTag>
						<MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_OFFICER</MiddleArtDefineTag>
					</UnitMeshGroup>
					<UnitMeshGroup>
						<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_GREEN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
						<LateArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_GREEN</LateArtDefineTag>
						<MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_GREEN</MiddleArtDefineTag>
					</UnitMeshGroup>
					<UnitMeshGroup>
						<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_RED</EarlyArtDefineTag>
						<LateArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_RED</LateArtDefineTag>
						<MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_OTTOMAN_JANISSARY_RED</MiddleArtDefineTag>
					</UnitMeshGroup>
				</StyleUnit>
So a janissary battalion would look like: a janissary sword-wielding officer with blue uniform in the middle, and a red and a green janissaries with muskets at his sides.
But due to CIV4UnitInfos.xml only defining one UnitMeshGroup with a iRequired count of 3, that is the only UnitMeshGroup replaced, new ones in the VD file are not added, so janissaries end up being battalions of three blue officers that attack with swords instead of muskets.

How to fix it: separating the UnitMeshGroup at CIV4UnitInfos.xml into as many blocks as the VD_ files want to overwrite, like:
Code:
			<UnitMeshGroups>
				<UnitMeshGroup>
					<iRequired>1</iRequired>
				</UnitMeshGroup>
				<UnitMeshGroup>
					<iRequired>1</iRequired>
				</UnitMeshGroup>
				<UnitMeshGroup>
					<iRequired>1</iRequired>
				</UnitMeshGroup>
			</UnitMeshGroups>
Problem is that this happens with many more units, out the top of my head, greek hoplites, also it's not like anything's broken gameplay-wise. Maybe an easy way to identify all cases in need of fixing could be running a comparison of DoC's CIV4UnitInfos.xml against the Varietas Delectat mod's own one. The change wouldn't require VD to keep working for those who don't use it, it would just allow correct unit art_def assignation when using it.

That's an interesting observation, thanks.

I've uploaded a file to maintain compatibility with the introduction of Canada in the opening post.

Note: the addition of Canada in revision 788 has broken compatibility, leading to possible crashes. To remedy this, download the attached file and unpack it (and overwrite) to the following location: Assets\Modules\Varietas Delectat\XML\UnitArtStyles&CivInfos\. This note is no guarantee of compatibilty with later revisions (although I am aware of no further problems as of revision 834), even with this fix.

What attached file? Was it added to the main download? Because I'm not seeing any other links or files.

Huh, looks like the forum rejected the file because I already made the same attachment in the Bug Reports thread. I've linked to it instead.

ATTENTION SVN USERS:

As of revision 836, the current version of VD/ECS is no longer compatible with SVN, most likely due to the inclusion of Polynesia.

(And before anyone says anything, I am fully aware that Leoreth stated that this module is not guaranteed to be compatible with all versions of SVN; I am simply pointing out the breaking point to those who are interested)

^ Probably the solution is similar to the Canada one, adding some texts to the VD_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

I'll try to do what I can while waiting for the official patch *please....
Let's see if I can do a temporary fix by imitating the Canada patch.

Oh, no! I don't want to let VD go. If anyone finds a solution please post. Else I will do it myself, if I can.

Here. I temporarily fix it by using the Khmer unit style and also Independent city style.So far I sense no problem. Extract to the same folder for Canada patch as instructed in the opening post.

Spoiler What I wish for the official patch :
I hope the official patch also add this unit sets:
[BtS] Polynesia mod v2.0 for Varietas Delectat and Quot Capita

edit: and the city style too!

Note that real life Indonesian cities looks more like that city style rather than the current one.

Attachments

• Temporary Polynesia Fix.zip
    23.2 KB · Views: 142
I'll upload a fix for Polynesia soon, but their proper own art style will have to wait until release.

Okay, the fix is attached to the OP. There already was a South Pacific art style that they could use, and they use Khmer unit art.

Eh, no luck...

... at least I can compete with myself to see how quickly I can cycle through all of the errors.

Top Bottom