Varietas Delectat and Ethnic City Styles for DoC

Leoreth

Blue Period
Often requested and promised for a long time, it is now available: Varietas Delectat (civ specific unit art) and Ethnic City Styles (civ specific city art) for Dawn of Civilization.

Download it HERE.

It requires version 1.12 of DoC. To install it, simply unpack the RAR file into your "RFC Dawn of Civilization" folder to integrate its Assets folder into the Assets folder already present and overwrite everything.

This version is basically like the regular VD & ECS mod, with some minor changes made by me to make it more appropriate for RFC:
  • Independent city art is determined by the region they're in and therefore should be roughly appropriate for all parts of the world
  • Mongols work similar for all cities they haven't founded themselves so they don't turn the whole world into yurte settlements
  • Mediterranean medieval art now looks like the Iberian one (houses with red roofs) instead of like their Classical versions
  • Egyptian city art now looks like Arabia's from the Middle Ages onwards, instead of like the Mediterranean art
  • Middle Eastern Renaissance art (blue minarets etc.) is now already shown from the middle ages onwards
  • Incan and Mesoamerican art looks like Iberian art after they adopt a religion
  • Removed certain civ specific building arts because they were used by wonders already (Great Cothon, Theodosian Walls)
  • Musketmen and Riflemen were odd for certain civs, apparently the VD makers took the term "Musketman" literally and used 17th/18th century graphics for them in case of certain civs; I've reverted this. Musketmen now always look like 15th/16th century units, while Riflemen look like Seven Years War / Napoleonic Wars units
  • Included Italian unit art by 10lire
  • Included Polish unit art by avain
  • Included South African unit art by veBear to be used by Congo

Important note for users of the SVN version: Compatibility of this module with the SVN version of the mod is not guaranteed. The module is only updated to be compatible with proper packaged releases. Most SVN changes are unlikely to break compatibility, however over the course of development such changes may occur. If the last release is a while ago, chances are high the module will be incompatible with the SVN version. Furthermore, installing the module even with a compatible SVN version may create problems with later updates. This is because the module overwrites several versioned files which leads to conflicts when the SVN client attempts to update them.

As of revision 779, this module is compatible with SVN. This notification will not necessarily be updated once the module becomes incompatible with SVN. The likeliness of compatibility decreases with further SVN revisions.

Note: the addition of Canada in revision 788 and that of Polynesia in revision 836 has broken compatibility, leading to possible crashes. To remedy this, download the attached file and unpack it (and overwrite) to the following location: Assets\Modules\Varietas Delectat\XML\UnitArtStyles&CivInfos\. This note is no guarantee of compatibilty with later revisions (although I am aware of no further problems as of revision 836), even with this fix.

Attachments

• VD_CIV4CivilizationInfos.rar
    19.8 KB · Views: 512
leoreth,

it seems that it couldn't be used with bluemarble,isn't it?

and even bluemarble itself can't make sense in 1.9?

also this error appears frequently when I start the game,not every time,but about 70-80%

the error:

Bluemarble can't make sense:

Thank you!!!!

I was literally JUST about to ask for these exact changes :):):)
I think this will really enhance the historicity for me. (I have always been a fan of unique cultural elements in the game)

DAT ART. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Some of the graphics are bugged though. For example Watermill. Doesn't matter because Cottage/Lumbermill/Farm > Watermill in most cases now.

Also, Leoreth, it would be nice if you could separate the too mods. I care much less about unit graphics than about city art, as I set my options to Quick Combat (like most people).

leoreth,

it seems that it couldn't be used with bluemarble,isn't it?

and even bluemarble itself can't make sense in 1.9?

also this error appears frequently when I start the game,not every time,but about 70-80%

the error:

Bluemarble can't make sense:

First of all, are you using this with the SVN version or the packaged download?

And for Blue Marble to work you have to redownload the FPK file from the main thread.

Will this be automatically included in the SVN version or no?
No, it's waste of space in my limited repository. As explained above, it should work for the SVN anyways.

Some of the graphics are bugged though. For example Watermill. Doesn't matter because Cottage/Lumbermill/Farm > Watermill in most cases now.

Also, Leoreth, it would be nice if you could separate the too mods. I care much less about unit graphics than about city art, as I set my options to Quick Combat (like most people).
What exactly is wrong with watermills? Then I could try and fix it.

I think separating the mods would just further complicate matters because then I would have to keep three different CivilizationInfos.xml around.

This is like some unthinkable scenario, where Koxinga leads Ming loyalists to retake China from the Manchus.
Meanwhile he gets in touch with his Japanese side. :lol:
On a serious note, wasn't there another all civ-spanning graphics mod?
I can't remember the name of it, but should it be compatible with DoC too?

First of all, are you using this with the SVN version or the packaged download?

And for Blue Marble to work you have to redownload the FPK file from the main thread.

I use the packaged download,not svn.

And I redownload bluemarble,but the error remains

I'll try to reproduce your error later on.

Mongols work similar for all cities they haven't founded themselves so they don't turn the whole world into yurte settlements

:lol:

Great to see this out, will definitely install it after the exams are over.

Leoreth, da isn Hakenkreuz auf dem Schlachtschiffdesign für Preußen, ist das Absicht? Ich liebe die Dinger und bau sie kiloweise, weiß aber nicht, ob ich das unbedingt so gut finde, wenn mich da von jedem Schiffchen n Hakenkreuz anlacht...
Sonst aber wirklich geile Sache!

(=Very nice work! But...there's a swastika on the Battleship graphics for Prussian-Germany.)

Good that you say that, I didn't check the exact look of every unit (and I assumed the VD makers were not his ******ed). I'll try to change it to a more appropriate graphic.

I think one of these two reverted the buttons for Protestant buildings to the Jewish ones.

Thanks, I'll take care of that too.

Good that you say that, I didn't check the exact look of every unit (and I assumed the VD makers were not his ******ed). I'll try to change it to a more appropriate graphic.

I'm sure you gonna find a great graphic. I would probably go for a Prussian eagle-like one, rather than the iron cross of the Bundeswehr.

And while you are at it, could you maybe change the graphic from the HRE knight and the Prussian/German knight and same for the longswordsman? The HRE knight looks more like a Frankish armoured rider ("Panzerreiter", ~9th century) than a noble and rich Bohemian/Bavarian/Tuscan... knight, and I think, the HRE knights should be the more "glamourous" ones, as the HRE was a/the leading power in the high middle ages and Prussia was a rather poor duchy on the edge of civilization.
And also because the graphics of the Prussian knight and longswordsman is really a very nice one and I would love to see it in the game (we won't see much of it as Prussia spawns way past the time of knights and LSM...) :)

For some reason I thought you were talking about Frigates instead of Battleships. Anyway, I think I'm confident enough in my graphic skills to simply change its texture to remove the swastikas.

I'll see what I can do about the Knights and Longswordsmen.

What exactly is wrong with watermills? Then I could try and fix it.
They appear on the wrong side of a River, and appear disconnected from the River.

Meanwhile he gets in touch with his Japanese side. :lol:
I've always been jealous of Samurai's graphics. Now I have it! :)

If you click on it though, the graphics changes to a more unique one. This is why I don't care much about unit graphics - they always look like some generic BTS unit when not selected, and are only useful if you like slow combat animations.

I think separating the mods would just further complicate matters because then I would have to keep three different CivilizationInfos.xml around.
I'll do it manually then.

But I need a bit of help on that: what do I do with GlobalTypes.xml?

And what is the purpose of the new files in XML\Audio?

Removing VD but keeping ECS saves me about 350MB of hard disk space. For a Bootcamp Partition that's pretty big.

Only the Chinese watermill, or others too?

I've removed the swastikas now, but I'll probably wait until there's more stuff to reupload.

For the medieval units, I don't know. The Prussian units are a little exaggerated, especially the footknights. On the other hand, the Frankish HRE stuff looks very unsophisticated for most of the medieval era.

Top Bottom