1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vassal mechanics

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Andraeianus I, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Andraeianus I

Andraeianus I Warlord

One question about my current game:

The situation:
    - I am at war with Napoleon who has two vassals: Washington and Hammurabi
    - I have bribed Hannibal and Mao to attack Napoleon

What happens when I vassalize Napoleon?
    1. Will he release his vassals which will have instant peace with me?
    2. Will Hannibal and Mao make instant peace with Napoleon or will I now be at war with them?

2. Refar

Refar Deity

The Vassals will be released if they Master capitulates (If they not break free earlier, because the Master is loosing Power/Land/Pop in the War).

If Nappy Capitulates to you, every one currently at war with him, but not at war with you, will make peace.

If you Vassalize Nappy peacefully, you will declare war on his enemies, to protect him.

3. The Snug

The Snug The Civ Heretic

When Napoleon capitulates, his vassals will be freed and will exist in a state of war with you. Since they are probably weak, however, if you prompt them for peace they will most likely oblige you.

4. Andraeianus I

Andraeianus I Warlord

Thanks for the answers! In the end I just conquered him completely which also frees his vassals. :) Hammurabi freed himself earlier on his own so I could offer him peace while I was still warring with Napoleon.

5. Permanganate

Permanganate Chieftain

Just tested it, since I was sure that some of this was wrong; when someone capitulates to you, their vassals also drop out of the war and then their vassalization immediately ends.

6. catfish99

catfish99 Warlord

But even if you destroy him completely the vassal states will still be at war with you until you cut a peace deal.