Vassal mechanics

JammerUno

King
I'm wondering about the vasal mechanics for landtargets when your current target has a shared border with your vassal.

I have a feeling I'm not getting the most out of my wars. I can usually beat the AI to cavs easily, but don't seem to manage to take the fullest advantage of it. I typically have no trouble taking out one AI with cavs, and afterwards heading for an easy 12+ city space victory. The trouble is the AI tend to start teching quite fast at that point and usually they'll be close to rifling when I'm done with my first target.

I feel there is more to be had from these situations, and the be honest, going to space is getting old.

Attached a save with a somewhat typical situation. Only 6 cities because I got boxed in, but the AI made up for my lack of expansion by having a series of wars. All in all, I'm probably a bit further ahead in tech than usual, but have less production to back it up with.

Attachments

• izzi2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    247.8 KB · Views: 36
roughly, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but the ai tends to cap when your power>2 times their power, AND their power is less than the civ average. but capitulation mechanics remain rather fuzzy as far as i can gather.

the rub is that any vassals you already control will count against you, indirectly, because their power is generally low, and it pulls the average power rating down. although, if your vassal shares a border, then you get a bonus for that.

the number of cities you control seems to play a big role in this as well. hence, it is nearly impossible to cap an ai in an occ unless you raze all but 1 of their cities.

Top Bottom