Vassals

vidimce

Warlord
Whats the use of having a vassal ?

In the game when I got a vassal, it usually means I can walk around in their territory and have my economy go down.

If you declare war, the vassal fights on your side. And you can decide what your vassal researches and ye can demand for example resources he has.

Vassals are quite little things, they're mostly useless. +1 happyness for them being your *****.

Increased likelyhood you'll end up in random wars for no reason because someone wanted to invade Puerto Rico and didn't realize that their daddy was the USA. You can rarely occasionally get a resource off them at no charge, sometimes they will laugh and point at you, in which case you can demand it, and then they can hand it over or shove it up your nations arse.

Never accept someone begging to be your vassal that isn't in a war, as almost always it means they just had war declared on them and you don't know it until the next screen after you decide if they're to be your vassal or not.

Now, if they capitulate and surrender to you, then sure, often I'll make them into the empires li'l puppy dog.

The problem with vassals usually is that like these silly rebellions that occasionally happen, my standard policy of "kill every man woman dog cat etc" should scare them silly and make them never back talk... if only.

Most of the time, the vassal is a small, underresearched nation which wont be of much use in wars and resource help. And I agree with jgbaxter's post, I see vassals almost completely useless.

It would be much better if the vassal pays gold as tribute each turn. Makes much more sense and it would actualy be worth to have a vassal then instead of the current system where ur economy goes down as a result of having a vassal.

I was always surprised that nothing came from the vassal to it's master. You'd think that at least 10% of it's gross gold income would automatically be passed to the master. Instead, the master pays for the vassal. Silly.

Never accept someone begging to be your vassal that isn't in a war, as almost always it means they just had war declared on them and you don't know it until the next screen after you decide if they're to be your vassal or not.
Did you even think about clicking the diplomacy button when a country asks you to become you vassal?
You can see if they got at war with somebody.

Anyway in some occasions a vassal can be useful.
For example I remember a game in which Rome became my vassal after a war.
Rome still had about 5 towns in Europe under her control.
I helped them to rebuild their strenght and later on they were a great help in wars.

Vassal = More score (50% of the vassal's population and land area). +1 :) automatically.

+ x :health:, :) (force the vassal to give you resources), :commerce: (force the vassal to have your religion and spread it to all his cities) and :traderoute: (force the vassal to stop trading with everybody except you). View over the vassal's territory.

Fine, it is, to have a vassal.

edit: gosh! I forgot the help at wars :crazyeye:

vassals are worthless money sinks that only get you into trouble. the master/vassal relationship seems twisted. your economy is penalized, while theirs is not. they can ask things of you and get negative modifiers if you dont agree, however you can only ask if they could "spare something for a good friend" (good friend my tukas, I am the frigin MASTER). In war they will not help you, but rather expect you to defend them.

As a master I want to be able to conscript troops, demand stipends (whether they can afford it at their current research rate or not), and have access to any and all of their technology. then I would be happy suffer a bit of an economic penalty and defend them from OUR enemies.

Vassalage needs to be more than just some demented alliance.
I hope it's better in BtS.

The only thing Vassals are good for is when the only victory possible for you is Time Victory and you are behind in score. Vassalize a couple of nations, boost your score, and win. :) Other them that, they are quite useless.

On the main diplo screen, there's the "let's talk about something else" then there's the "why don't you attack..." or the "why don't you research..." things.

Vassals are so useless it's not even funny. Better then a kick in the head usually, but given that they often kick you in the balls too, it's not worth it. Quite frankly if vassals aren't fixed up in BtS then Firaxis is on drugs and doesn't give a . .. .. .. . about their game (the money they like I'm sure)... I doubt they'll fix it, heck they still have that limited diplo screen in the first place.

Ah well, "civ4, better then a kick in the nuts"™. :lol:

I never managed to capitulate anybody in RFC.

In RFC, having a vassal-through-war means that that nation is thoroughly conquered but will never respawn :)

Yea, I like having vassals. It is easier than conquering the land and you don't have to pay maintenance on all those cities. Plus vassals count for domination victory. And they can give you stability in RFC. I try to get vassals whenever possible.

Unless I need them for a UHV goal id never have a vassal. They drain your economy and all the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. Why let them live when you can take their cities or simply destroy them never to have them darken your doors again?

What I have used them for is if they have uranium or aluminium but won't trade it with me, if they are my vassal they will trade it with me.

The annoying thing is you cannot get rid of them, you are stuck with them forever.

Top Bottom