Vatican: It's ok to believe in aliens

Masquerouge

Deity
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_aliens

Believing that the universe may contain alien life does not contradict a faith in God, the Vatican's chief astronomer said in an interview published Tuesday. The Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, was quoted as saying the vastness of the universe means it is possible there could be other forms of life outside Earth, even intelligent ones.
"How can we rule out that life may have developed elsewhere?" Funes said. "Just as we consider earthly creatures as 'a brother,' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother'? It would still be part of creation."
In the interview by the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano, Funes said that such a notion "doesn't contradict our faith" because aliens would still be God's creatures. Ruling out the existence of aliens would be like "putting limits" on God's creative freedom, he said.

and in particular:

The Bible "is not a science book," Funes said, adding that he believes the Big Bang theory is the most "reasonable" explanation for the creation of the universe. The theory says the universe began billions of years ago in the explosion of a single, super-dense point that contained all matter.

Kudos to that guy.

The Bible "is not a science book," Funes said, adding that he believes the Big Bang theory is the most "reasonable" explanation for the creation of the universe. The theory says the universe began billions of years ago in the explosion of a single, super-dense point that contained all matter.
Not that strange if you realise that the Big Bang Theory was proposed by a catholic priest, [wiki]Georges Lemaître[/wiki].

. The Bible "is not a science book," Funes said, adding that he believes the Big Bang theory is the most "reasonable" explanation for the creation of the universe. The theory says the universe began billions of years ago in the explosion of a single, super-dense point that contained all matter.

HERETIC ! . Oh wait this is 2008 all religious people agree with Funes .

I don't think it was ever prohibited to believe in alien beings. At least not that I know of. Hell, if I wanted to believe in flying pigs and zombies I wouldn't give a crap what they said.

It isn't a matter of whether the Vatican is trying to prohibit you, though. They are just pointing out that there is nothing in their doctrine that contradicts the idea. I am not really sure there are too many religions where it does, anyways. (Jack Chick might, just on principle.)

The Vatican is always on about how were going to meet certain beings soon. They might just be right this time, in 500 years by which time their silly religon has turned to dust.

Eh...their silly religion isn't too far off from 2,000 years old. Really think they're disappearing in another 500?

Believing that the universe may contain alien life does not contradict a faith in God ... the vastness of the universe means it is possible there could be other forms of life outside Earth, even intelligent ones.
"How can we rule out that life may have developed elsewhere?" Ruling out the existence of aliens would be like "putting limits" on God's creative freedom, he said.
He implies that beings "formed" elsewhere, then turns around saying God could have created different forms.

Sounds like he's just covering his bases, to try to get... *snicker*... religion to evolve... with the times.

I think the message was the same as it was when the Church talked about evolution. That faith and science can co-mingle and don't have to contradict eachother. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that message.

It is obvious that the Vatican wants to make sure that if we meet any other intelligent forms , they will make them Christian.

The aliens are likely to have religions of their own.. They're going to be attempting to convert us.

In that case i suspect , a certain treacherous Human traitor group , named Scientology to help them. And 200 years after , who knows ? Scientologyland maybe stronger than the Vatican.

Oh Wait ....

It's a conspiracy .... Scientologists are attempting to weaken our beliefs , so that their Aliens overlords will be ready to take over.

Except that they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

If that's the case, than why the hell do they keep running headlong into eachother? (not so much with the Catholics, but with other religious groups)

Top Bottom