1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vatican: It's ok to believe in aliens

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Masquerouge, May 14, 2008.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Wether there is a God or not isn't really important in religious discusions either. I know, sounds like a mind-ef, but there you have it :)

If you make that the center point of a religious discusion, it will descent into: Is! Is not! The fact that the christain believes there is a God and the atheist doesn't is part of the stage.
    Force of one! Hear hear!

I'm with you on that. But ... seperate. Not in a movement kind off ... I mean. Drat!

By the way: I wonder what Liens are and why extraterrestials are so oposed to them.

2. Ziggy Stardust

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love religious arguing (bickering) now and again, and I am not 'above' any of that. I'm one of the chimps.

Just replied to what I thought was a statement that meaningfull discussion wasn't possible at all.

3. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Don't you realise the irony of who posted it?

And I do find meaning in the discussion. It helps me think about what I believe and how I think. Also, it numbs me from the sort of stuff that might occasionally come up in real life. People might not take it so well in real life when shown just how ridiculous their ideas are :p

4. holy king

holy king Deity

everything else is either a theological, sociological or psychological discussion, or neuroscientific insights being recited...

5. Ziggy Stardust

And those cannot be related to religion?

6. holy king

holy king Deity

of course they are. i wouldnt call that a "religious discussion" though. that sounds like something religious people have among themselves.

7. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    How is that not a religious discussion?

8. holy king

holy king Deity

ugh. i understand the confusion.
    i was trying to say that a religious discussion between atheists and theists will always be about the question whether there is a god.
    other discussions concerning the topic religion would be theological, sociological or psychological discussions, or neuroscientific insights being recited.
    this group of discussions can hardly be called "religious discussions" in my opinion and it is opposed to religious discussions theists might have among themselves (could be called "inner-theological discussions"), like discussions about angels, the devil or whether you may become the god of some planet after your death.

9. Eran of Arcadia

I don't think that it is necessary that any discussion between atheists and theists has to end up being about the eistence or nonexistence of God, I just think that unfortunately that is what usually ends up happening.

Also, it is your own universe, not planet . . .

10. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Maybe because that's where their fundamental disagreement lies? At any rate, I don't remember seeing that happening here.

11. holy king

holy king Deity

sure, it's just no religious discussion then, but e.g. one about the sociological aspects of religion.

and having the possibilty to call myself master of the universe makes me consider mormonism...

12. Eran of Arcadia

I do think that a discussion about say the sociological, or historical, or ethical implications of religion can be called a religious discussion. And I for one am perfectly willing to discuss religious beliefs that are not my own; I do it all the time.

13. Ziggy Stardust

My discusions refuse to be classed like this. They can be both, and that's their final word.

Sociologic aspects of religion, or religious aspects of sociology?

14. holy king

holy king Deity

hm... doesnt "religious aspects of sociology" sound more like "aspects of sociology that make it comparable to a religion"?

15. Ziggy Stardust

Yes. And the reverse is also true. Sociologic aspects of religion, are aspects of a religion which regard sociology. When you're discusing aspects of religion, aren't you discussing religion? :crazyeye:

(I love the irony in our way of tackling this by the way ;))

16. holy king

holy king Deity

sociologic aspects of religion are clearly aspects of sociology that regard religion. parts of religion that can be described by sociology. or religion viewed from a sociological point of view. and therefore when discussing sociologic aspects of religion i'm not having a religious debate but a sociological one.

17. Ziggy Stardust

I disagree and can't be bothered to continue :)

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I'm not saying that sentient ET life is probably more intelligent than we are, I'm saying that we'll probably eventually run into ET life that's more intelligent than us.

If you walk through a mall, the people there are not probably smarter than you are. But if you talked to them (or tried to conquer them via Manifest Destiny), you're probably eventually run into someone smarter.

That said, if we receive a message from a species that's (say) 10,000 light years away, then they might be smarter than us by now. Or gone, since they were lousy environmental stewards too.

19. scy12

scy12 Deity

I think concerning finding intelligent aliens there are two things that make it highly unlikely. Luck is just extremely unlikely but so is Human intelligence from what we know.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Human civilization is only 5,000 years old or so. That's out of millions of years of human existance.

Say we run into an alien species. Chances are they don't even have civilization yet.. or have had it for longer than 5,000 years. That doesn't mean they're going to be more advanced than us - but statistically speaking it would be unlikely for us to run into an alien species that is civilized AND civilized for 5,000 years or less