Venetian Grand Arsenal

Walter Hawkwood

RI Curator
This building was modelled and textured by my friend, who has hardly even played a game of civ, and surely never visited this forum, and brought to civ standards by yours truly. This is the famous Grand Arsenal of Venice, world's first true industrial shipyard.

At the peak of its efficiency in the early sixteenth century, the Arsenal employed some 16,000 people who apparently were able to produce nearly one ship each day, and could fit out, arm, and provision a newly-built galley with standardized parts on a production-line basis not seen again until the Industrial Revolution.

The building comes with one 512x512 texture, has less than 2000 polys and is supplied with appropriate button (the wondermovie for it also exists, check Arian's wondermovie thread).

Grab it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13143

Nice building, Walter. But shouldn't the "gate" point outwards?
And another question: the park+monument in the city, is it used as the National Park or the Monument facility? If the former, I'd love to know how you manage to override the Firaxis graphic...

Well, he does say that Arian made a wondermovie.... in the first post.

Nice building, Walter. But shouldn't the "gate" point outwards?
And another question: the park+monument in the city, is it used as the National Park or the Monument facility? If the former, I'd love to know how you manage to override the Firaxis graphic...

It will be pointing outwards if the building is located in one of the tiles below the city. Standard harbor placing leaf has trouble with that stuff most of the time.

The "park+monument" is used for the City Square building in TR.

How can I get those terrain graphics? If you mentioned it before I missed it.

Also that's a really cool model. I suppose if you had a Venetian civ it would replace the drydock or harbor as the UB?

How can I get those terrain graphics? If you mentioned it before I missed it.

Also that's a really cool model. I suppose if you had a Venetian civ it would replace the drydock or harbor as the UB?

I'd say that Venetian Arsenal should be a one-of-a-kind, wonder-class building. But I suppose it could as well replace drydock.

TR is developed via SVN, and anyone can check it out of our repository at any time in a fully playable (at least up to the point we've developed it) state. You only need to know the path to the repository (which, to check out our latest version would be https://civ4mods.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/civ4mods/trunk/civ4.mod.realism/src/mod/TR_Warlords) and have an SVN client. TortoiseSVN is what I use for that.

I agree that it should be a World Wonder. I was looking at creating something like this (Royal Dock at Portsmouth) to allow one Civ a sea advantage (as Great Britain had). I would have it require Engineering with Gunpowder (my mod has lots of new ships at Gunpowder). I'm not settled on the effect though. Some possibilities:

1. free Drydock in every city (this would need Python code to prevent Drydocks in non-coastal cities I think).
2. Have it act as a Drydock in this city only (would stack with Drydock).
3. Have it give experience to all ships built by the Civ (would require Python code I think).
4. Some combination of #2 and #3.
5. Additionally perhaps provides 1 Free Engineer.

It would obsolete with Industrialism or Assembly Line.

Top Bottom