Venetian.. Impi?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Musketeer935, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Musketeer935

Musketeer935 AoEIII Fan

I was playing a game on BNW and noticed that Venice had an Impi... the Zulus aren't in the game that I'm playing. And ideas where it came from?

2. Godswood

Godswood War Priest

A city state. Militaristic city states grant you troops, and sometimes those are unique units of other civilizations.

3. Musketeer935

Musketeer935 AoEIII Fan

Good call, I played a couple more turns, and a city state gave me one, haha. Is it a bug that they give UUs? Or is that intended?

4. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

It's from a militaristic city-state; if you're allied with them (in Gods and Kings/BNW, not vanilla) they can gift the Unique Units of civs that aren't in that specific game.
    Edit: Eef, got ninja'd.

5. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

This thread again? :lol:
    Militaristic City-States can give the UU of a civilization that is not in the game to their Ally.
    Venice is allied with a Militaristic City-State that gives Impis, thus it gets Impis! :D

Interestingly, I also have Venetian Impis running around in my game! :p Isabella was trying to conquer Venice, and she had a really hard time, even with a ton of units! :crazyeye:
    In my case, Hanoi is the one giving Venice Impis! I also had Valletta in my game, and it was my ally, but Venice bought it before I could get any of the special units! :sad: I don't even remember what they were anymore...

To know what UU they give, hover your mouse over their type (Where it says they are Militaristic and tells you their personality)! :D

6. Musketeer935

Musketeer935 AoEIII Fan

Ah, thanks. I didn't know you could see what units they give, that's really cool.

7. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

Perhaps Firaxis should warn new players with big ads " CAREFUL !!! CITY STATES GIVE UNIQUE UNITS !!!" :lol:
    I noticed this feature by myself when I "accidentaly" hoovered the mouse over the city-state panel, and IMO it's a very good thing: these units add some diversity and act as mercenaries. And it can tell who is in the game or not. I feel very happy when I meet a CS giving Mohawk Warrior :)

8. pilot00

pilot00 King

In my current game I have an army (5-6) of long-bowmen as Greece. Turned out to great bazookas!

9. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Did it come from Kongo? I forget what category they are. I was dealing with Egyptian Forest Elephants myself.

10. Arwon

Arwon

Wait so what happens if Venice gets gifted a Conqustador? Can they found a city?

11. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Considering that it's implemented by not allowing Venice to build a settler, my guess is that they could (provided that unit was on a different landmass.)

12. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

My guess is that they could not.

13. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

To add to this, Vanilla, after a certain patch, even gave a random chance of a UU appearing as well (it just was systematized like they did with G&K).

14. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

They can't, got conks as Venice, didn't have the option.