Venice and The Shoshone: First Gameplay and Impressions (Rev3)

zacminor

Chieftain
Hey guys, back again with another video update for y'all! I got to play a couple matches with Venice and Shoshone over the weekend, and collceted some preliminary thoughts here:

Link to video.

Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to get to them! Review embargo lifts next Monday morning at 5 AM PDT.

Shoshone start with Pathfinder. That should make Shoshone quite powerful.
Also, Barbarian Horsemen.

Looks like Faith isn't an option from the Ruins, though? That puts a bit of a damper on the early Religion game if so.

Looks like Faith isn't an option from the Ruins, though? That puts a bit of a damper on the early Religion game if so.

It's possible that A. he already chose them, or B. they are restricted by typical ruins rules (i.e Settlers and Workers can be chosen on Settler difficulty, and that Pantheon bonus can only be selected once few panthoens have been founded)

Aren't there restrictions in place already as to when you can randomly get which ruins? Perhaps the choice has to respect those?

Always a pleasure to watch your videos, Zac. Thanks a lot!

Enrico's leaderscreen really is great.

Seems like the bonuses disappear from the list once you've chosen them. Faith had probably already been chosen by the player in that video.

E. Love the tiny bit of music we got from both these civs though!
Once the game is out in the US I'll be listening to those until I can play too.

Thanks for posting these!

Man, those Shoshone initial borders are pretty insane, as is getting a Pathfinder from the start. They get to change from a list that decreases like the Mayan Great People, like some expected.

As for questions: It was mentioned some more old civs were changed - what were the changes to the older civs? India was mentioned, but it wasn't said what their changes were, and are there any others - in particular, the Dutch, as they are a trading nation?

It's possible that A. he already chose them, or B. they are restricted by typical ruins rules (i.e Settlers and Workers can be chosen on Settler difficulty, and that Pantheon bonus can only be selected once few panthoens have been founded)

A is unlikely (if you look at the bar before he pops it, he's got 0 Faith and +0 per turn), but B is pretty likely - didn't know there were stipulations.

I believe there is a time frame as to when that becomes available, I may be wrong. But if thats true it would make sense that he wasn't able to choose it too early.

Thanks for posting these!

Man, those Shoshone initial borders are pretty insane, as is getting a Pathfinder from the start. They get to change from a list that decreases like the Mayan Great People, like some expected.

As for questions: It was mentioned some more old civs were changed - what were the changes to the older civs? India was mentioned, but it wasn't said what their changes were, and are there any others - in particular, the Dutch, as they are a trading nation?

It was mentioned. There UB got a change from a gold bonus to a tourism bonus.

Throughout the preview I see Japan, Siam, and India in the game. Hmmm... *rampant hope and speculation*

If Zac has a review coming up, I believe it is HIS games we were seeing, not Firaxis's.

P.S - They reall need to put in that Shoshone are starting with a Pathfinder.

ZacMinor said:
2K and Firaxis has done a pretty good job of keeping those last two remaining unannounced civilizations quiet, but we finally know it is Venice (the Venetians), and The Shoshone, who I'm sure we are all very familiar with.

Is that sarcasm I sense there? :p :lol:

Thanks for the video! :) Gosh, I love their leaderscreens. And is that new music?! YES! :D
Too bad we still haven't got a good look at Ahmad al-Mansur's and Maria I's leaderscreen, but it shouldn't take long now! :lol: (Weirdly, the expansion's website didn't update with the leaders and leaderscreens, as it did with Vanilla and G&Ks)

Pocatello is obviously talking in the Shoshone language, but can someone identify Enrico Dandolo's? :) There was speculation whether it would be Venetian or Italian...

So barbs can use mounted units now. That's really interesting, i wonder if they have improved barbs even more than that. Barb horsemen could be serious threat to workers because of 4 movement.

Also, i can hear little bit of shoshones theme :)

Did anyone notice the new icon for the pre-Modern Great Admiral?

Cool! :) I really love these!

Top Bottom