1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Venice and Tiles

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Lrd Dread, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Lrd Dread

Lrd Dread Prince

What is the purpose of not being able to buy tiles for CS' that you puppet? You can buy items in the city....

This sucks cause CS' never expand into tiles containing things like El Dorado...

2. quantum42

quantum42 Linux User

When playing as Venice the only way to expand is buying CS's. When you buy a CS, it becomes a puppet, you cannot change its production, buy tiles, etc. I suppose the game developers did not want Venice to be overpowered.

3. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

It definitely wouldn't be overpowered if you could just buy the tiles. I mean, you can't even force the city to work the tile to begin with.

Whenever I play Venice, the CS's will spite me and never target the wonders no matter if I MoV them or not. When I play as non-Venice and hope to settle nearby ASAP to take it before them, the Natural Wonders are the first thing they take...

4. Bex

Bex Chieftain

The ability to buy units/buildings is enough IMO. Buy them culture buildings, use great generals if you got 'em... I like how it is a bit of work to acquire certain tiles in the puppets.

5. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Argh, I posted a thread about it earlier, but I'm in a game with Venice, and I decided to go for a religion when I saw that a nearby city state was 2 tiles away from Mount Sinai (+8 faith). Unfortunately, when I got the city state, I realized I couldn't buy tiles, and then the city state had no culture so no border expansion, then when I bought a monument, I soon researched animal husbandry, and they changed their expansion towards some horses 3 tiles away from the city! The mountain finally came within my borders 200 years after the last religion was founded (325 BC), and Venice didn't become religious until 1300 AD... Really annoying...

6. Shimmler

Shimmler Warlord

You know you could have tried to get a greta general and place a citadel to get Sinai.

7. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

Easiest way to expand your borders as Venice is to conquer cities!

8. Gewoon Anders

Gewoon Anders Chieftain

You can always place great works in the city where you want the borders to expand!