1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Venice-esque civ in future dlc or expansion.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ArallanKing, Feb 6, 2018.

?

What civ will that be? You may choose 3 XD

1. Venice

2. Genoa

3. Hongkong

4. Macau

5. Singapore

6. Monaco

7. Carthage

8. San Marino

9. Rome with different flavour

10. Dubai

11. Vatican City

12. Other...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ArallanKing

ArallanKing Warlord

Would you think the devs will come up with one city civ again? What civ will that be? Or what will be the UU, UA, LUA?
    I'd say Hongkong or Macau would be controversial, so I might say Singapore is a great choice.

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

If they did it (not sure they should) I think I'd like to see a Swiss civ.

3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Please no, no City-State Civs please! :cry:

How can Hong Kong be a Civ by itself? How is Carthage a City-State Civ?

4. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

Singapore would be the best fit for a genuine city-state civ, though I also like your suggestion of Monaco with a Gran Prix district project.

I absolutely would not want Genoa, Naples, Venice, or the Vatican. I'd much prefer a Renaissance era Italian blob and the Papal State as full civilizations each. For Civilization VII, Rome should be the base game civ, with Italy and Papal States each in one of the expansions.

Dubai should be part of a United Arab Enumerates civ, though such a civ really should only drop after the first hundred civs or so.

5. Guandao

A Singapore Civ with Lee Kuan Yew as the leader is likely to piss off the Singaporean government and get the game banned there.

6. ArallanKing

ArallanKing Warlord

Or if the city-state model is too controversial, maybe the devs can try to make a Civ with Southeast Asian "Mandala" model ;)))

7. Guandao

@ArallanKing how would the Mandala model work in Civ6? I'm curious because I don't know anything about it.

8. Ezumiyr

Ezumiyr Warlord

I'm not really convinced this could work in Civ6. Too many game mechanics seem to be in contradiction with it, beginning with the district system.

9. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Dear god please no...

Just mod it in if you want it. Everyone I know that plays Civ V restarts their game if they draw Venice.

10. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

This would not surprise me at all given the substantial buffs to OCC-style strategies coming in the expansion.

11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Not sure how this would work in Civ 6. Especially with Districts and wonders taking up tiles there would be limited space.
    Would there be a way to get other cities? Would it just be city-states?
    Flipping cities with loyalty would be too hard, especially if you have to focus on just flipping city-states which will apparently be hard to implement, because they already have major built in loyalty.
    The only other thing I could think of is becoming friendly with city-states by becoming the suzerain and that's already implemented in with everybody else.

12. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I would like OCC as a game setting option in CIv VI but not a Civ.

If Venice were to return, though, they’d make a good OCC.

13. Kyro

Kyro Prince

The guiding design philosophy behind Civ 6 is to prevent tall/non-expansive play. What makes anyone think creating a Civ like that is in line with that approach?

14. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Vanilla, yeah. But there is a lot of new stuff for tall play in the expansion

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I suspect we will see an Italian city-state civ in the future, but I doubt it will incorporate the same OCC style that Civ V Venice has.

16. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

A true OCC civ might be interesting. But you'd have to completely change the rules for them:
    -Allow multiple copies of any district
    -Allow districts to be placed on water
    -Probably set a limit like 1 district per pop, not 1 per 3
    -Allow working the 4th tile

They'd probably still be pretty horrible overall, but it would certainly be interesting to see if they could actually make a regularly viable strategy with them.

17. Kyro

Kyro Prince

Districts are still the most crucial element in Civ 6 strategy even in R&F and a single city can never have more than one of each. That alone maintains the current design approach in R&F because nothing is done to allow Tall play to overcome district limitations. Housing, the ultimate limiter of population is still in place and trade routes are still tied to number of cities.

In other words all power for any type of strategy is still held in having as many cities as possible with Zero advantage in having fewer cities; tall play is still powerless.

The only changes that can make Tall play truly powerful now is to remove limits on working beyond the 3rd ring and and allow each city to build multiple districts of the same kind. City territorial control should also be unrestricted to extend as far as one chooses. This is the only way a One city Civ can work if they want to introduce it but that's extremely unlikely.

18. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

It would need a mechanical work around. Maybe this civ's unique ability would be:
    • Start with all tiles in a three tile radius
    • Population doesn't limit number of districts
    • Adjacency bonuses increase every era (+1 in Classical, +2 in Medieval, etc.)
    • +1 trade route per tier 1 building
    • Governors can be placed in districts (excluding neighborhoods, airports, and spaceports)
    • No loyalty exerted or depleted

Timodelphia and criZp like this.
  19. Esperr

Esperr King

Venice

UU-cant build settlers, gets that at regular intervals on the tech tree. Citys have no district limit, can build multiple of the same district in a single city.

20. LKx

LKx Chieftain

I like venice in civ5, but i don't see how anything similar could work in civ6.
    Even puppet cities are not a thing in civ6.