Venice-esque civ in future dlc or expansion.

What civ will that be? You may choose 3 XD

• Venice

• Genoa

• Hongkong

• Macau

• Singapore

• Monaco

• Carthage

• San Marino

• Rome with different flavour

• Dubai

• Vatican City

• Other...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Districts are still the most crucial element in Civ 6 strategy even in R&F and a single city can never have more than one of each. That alone maintains the current design approach in R&F because nothing is done to allow Tall play to overcome district limitations. Housing, the ultimate limiter of population is still in place and trade routes are still tied to number of cities.

In other words all power for any type of strategy is still held in having as many cities as possible with Zero advantage in having fewer cities; tall play is still powerless.

The only changes that can make Tall play truly powerful now is to remove limits on working beyond the 3rd ring and and allow each city to build multiple districts of the same kind. City territorial control should also be unrestricted to extend as far as one chooses. This is the only way a One city Civ can work if they want to introduce it but that's extremely unlikely.
There are several abilities and modifiers in the expansion pack that help mitigate the district limit, and we are getting +7 new housing in the early game too. It may not yet be competitive with a wide empire in terms of finish times, but, may be a viable option at least. I wrote a thread about it: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/peaceful-culture-occ-making-a-comeback-in-r-f.627731/

And actually, some players have already beat deity with OCC. So it's doable already, and we are getting a lot more tools to help further.

A Singapore Civ with Lee Kuan Yew as the leader is likely to piss off the Singaporean government and get the game banned there.

Fun fact: did you know that in real life if a Civilization or City-State fails to adopt the Free Speech policy card, all other civilizations gain a Liberation casus belli against them?

Lex inustia non est lex! Sic semper tyrannis!

Fun fact: did you know that in real life if a Civilization or City-State fails to adopt the Free Speech policy card, all other civilizations gain a Liberation casus belli against them?

Lex inustia non est lex! Sic semper tyrannis!

I don't know if you know this, but Singapore isn't a real democracy....:p

Where's the "none" option?

Governors can be placed in districts (excluding neighborhoods, airports, and spaceports)
How would that work exactly?
Would each still benefit the whole city and not the district they were in?
It just doesn't seem right to me if that were the case.
It would be better if you had to assign them to the tile such as Pingala to either the Campus or Theater Square, Reyna to the Commercial Hub/Harbor, Victor to City Center, Moksha to Holy Site, Magnus to Industrial Zone/ tile with bonus resource, and Liang to tile where improvement or district/buildings is being constructed.
Still even then it's a bit fishy with some of the bonuses the governors get.

It could be doable, but with a lot of mechanism changes :

1. Allowing to have trade routes with all buildings and not only harbour/commercial hub ;
  2. Allowing to build all the buildings in the city/center (no more districts, just "upgrading" of the city center which will gain the adjacency bonuses of the upgrade district (for example, if you update your city-center to have a theater square, the city center gain +2 culture adjacency bonus for each wonder next to the city center ; or double the city strenght when upgrading to an encampment).
  3. Allowing multiples governors in your capital.
  4. Allowing the palace to have multiple slots for great work (similar to Kongo), and maybe enhance museum slots (like England).
But, mainly, for me, it's the only changes you need : besides that, it could be easy to win. There is a Civ VI Venice mod (big differences : each district allow you to build a trade route, and the market has 2 slots for great works, trade route yield culture, faith and science beside gold) and I love to play with it. Also, I was a big fan of Venice in Civ V (by far ma favourite, even before Babylon, knowing that I'm usually a pure science player).

A Monaco civ would be awesome but unlikely. Singapoure could be, but maybe a little to modern (not a very long history of being a city-state). But I really hope this would be possible, it's the kind of play I enjoy the most.

San Marino is perhaps one of the oldest, if not the oldest, sovereign states in the world. It may be small, but it has a massive history and I am slightly disappointed it doesn't have more votes. Although, I am unsure how the exact mechanics would work, but I think that it deserves a Venice-esque style civilization.

Part of the fun with Venice was that is was a new thing which changed gameplay a lot. For me it ended up with a couple of (very fun) playthroughs, but I'd rather they'd try something else for a unique civ this time.

But it would need to be a fun twist, not just uniqueness for its own sake.

Adding onto my San Marino idea, I'd say Antonio Onofri as the leader. He helped keep San Marino independant in the face of Napoleon, and is considered one of the most influential figures in San Marino history.

San Marino's gameplay would be about stirring enemies away from yourself by making alliances and friends on all sides, not taking to much land, and simply remaining cordial. I'm not sure how this would exactly play out with players and AI, although it is the kind of gameplay that would fit the nation. It would also not be like Venice in that it can expand - San Marino under Onofri was very much focused around keeping sovereignty and not expanding, thus that feel would have to be preserved.

Those ideas are simply brainstorming, however. But I do think San Marino is deserving of the Venice-esque Civ spot that plays much differently than other civilizations in Civ 6.

There would need to be a few mechanism tweaks to make a city-state civ work in VI, but I don’t see it as impossible.

To get past the housing limitations, give it a bonus like Australia or Indonesia. Extra housing from X that stacks with existing bonuses.

To get past the district limit, give it a bonus like Germany and Japan, but stronger. You may build one more districts than normal and they are all half cost and all districts gain major adjacency bonuses from being next to wonders and other districts.

Trade routes need to be overhauled to begin with. It should be one trade route for every 3 or 4 citizens in your empire. The limit should not be tied to commercial hubs nor to harbors, but markets and lighthouses should be required to build them.

You should be allowed 2 governors in your city at a time, and the diplomat has additional functionality in other city states.

You do not participate in the loyalty system.

These are the changes that need to happen to make the civ remotely viable just to keep up in the game. From there, I think the best solution for attaining victory is to tool the specific civ for a given victory path. Give the Vatican major bonuses to buying faith units or Singapore major bonuses for science. This is usually the sticking point for whether a OCC can be achieved or not.

Probably, a Venice-esque Civ could come with the mechanics of land reclamation or canal construction in case they started far inland or unfavorable coast. ;))

I always enjoyed Venice, but rather than just copy that mechanic straight over I would rather they add a new civ that is just as innovative with its mechanics.

Genoa, of course. We kicked Venice's ass and invented all the blue jeans' that people wear in cultural victories :)

Reactions: liv
Top Bottom