1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Venice gets a lot easier if...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Lrd Dread, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Lrd Dread

Lrd Dread Prince

You have the military occupy territories mod where you can annex territory simply by fortifying it. Still has to connect, but it makes those far away resources easier to manage.

2. harmanoff

harmanoff Chieftain

That honestly doesnt sound fun at all

3. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

They get a lot harder if you have a house rule of no puppets EVER!!.

4. Jaymax

Jaymax Chieftain

Well technically there's a bug where you can annex city states using VoM.

5. Lrd Dread

Lrd Dread Prince

I thought that was the legal way of doing it. Not much of a bug if they give you a button and everything. Sounds pretty deliberate.

6. Randall_Flagg

True, but that bug requires using the Strategic Screen so can be avoided easy.

7. AgentTBC

AgentTBC Warlord

I don't understand why they don't debug the strategic screen more. I play 75% of my time on that screen. It just conveys so much more information so much more quickly. Is it a console -vs- PC thing?

The strategic view is the single greatest addition Civ V has made to the franchise. 1UPT is the other choice but they need to work on the AI since "make a huge pile of units and move them towards the enemy" covered a lot of bad AI sins in previous versions that are now apparent in 1UPT. But the strategic view is just perfect... except it's buggy as hell.

8. Lrd Dread

Lrd Dread Prince

what is the strategic screen?

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Appended to the left of the mini-map, there are two buttons. The bottom button toggles between normal and strategic view.

10. AgentTBC

AgentTBC Warlord

Press F10 to toggle to the stategic view.

11. Morthis

Morthis Chieftain

Being able to annex cities in the strategic view is obviously a bug, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.

12. Lrd Dread

Lrd Dread Prince

It may seem like a bug, but if they create the artwork, give you a button and write up the civtext, it is deliberate and not a bug.

13. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

what? I'll admit I have never more than glanced at it a few times to see how things looked, but does it really show that much more information? Besides the worker progress I havn't noticed anything on it I couldn't see in the graphical mode, and that one is prettier...

Mind you I've been playing dwarf fortress on a regular basis for over 4 years as well. I don't think you can necessarily pin the preference on competence in reading utilitarian interfaces, which is what I'm assuming you're implying with "console -vs- PC thing?".

Is it really worth giving a shot though? I thought it was more for people whose machines couldn't handle the game.

14. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

The button they gave was to go into strategic view. The bug is that clicking on a city banner auto annexes the city. No "do you want to annex?" Just auto annex. If you want to think that was intentional, go ahead, but CiV is not supposed to have embedded cheats (go behind that bush, click on the wall, hit F2 twice and you get 1000 gold).

15. Randall_Flagg

It is a bug!! Venice cannot Annex cities!! But what really makes it a bug, is the fact that are going to FIX it.

16. Paradigne

Paradigne Emperor

Why on earth do you feel the need to make Venice EASIER?

17. AgentTBC

AgentTBC Warlord

Abraxis: The advantage of the strategy view is the speed at which the information is conveyed. For example when using workers you can instantly see which hexes haven't been improved across more or less your entire empire with a quick glance. And so on. So it's not necessarily that it conveys information you *can't* get on the regular view but it conveys it much more quickly and directly.

Also more at once since you can see more area for a given zoom level.

On the other hand the major disadvantage is that you lose the city info if you zoom out far enough to make the stategic view useful, so you can't see what your cities are building without zooming back in or whatever. So you might still prefer the other view.

I just find it really useful for mid-late game when I've got 80% of my tiles improved, have a ton of units all over the place, and so on.

18. Chiatroll

Chiatroll Warlord

I thought venice was already a strong easy civ since you have all the money in the world and can buy a war that you won't be involved in for anyone who looks at your crosseyed.

19. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

Venice is already ridiculously OP especially for Diplomatic Victory.

20. Balerune

Balerune Prince

I was playing Venice, emperor, british isles map, standard size, and thought I was trying for a cultural victory; had already controlled the world council for 2 sessions and when the UN became available I suddenly get the popup that I had won a diplomatic victory. (I was buying up a lot of CS because everyone around me was starting wars with everyone else. I had puppeted a lot of military CS and even had the largest army lol.}

This was the first win I've had so far. I even managed to overcome all but one civ having a different government system than me. (I had freedom which the devs seem to hate as the AI never go for this.)

I think I like Venice. :):D Should try up a level.:)