1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Venice Mod

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Released Mods' started by VainApocalypse, Jul 16, 2017.

1. VainApocalypse

VainApocalypse Chieftain

This is a mod that will add Venice as a Civilization. I wanted to design a Venice that was competitive, fun, and historically flavorful. I wanted it to focus on trade and culture and to be tallish but have a real route to victory. Believe me, I understand how difficult it is to make a tall but viable Civilization in Civ VI, but I think I've succeeded.

You can download the mod through the Steam Workshop here. I had promised to upload it here, but upon closer inspection, I am not able, as the file is too large at 24.3MB.

Venice Release.png

VeniceRelease2.png

-----------------------------
    GAMEPLAY

Venice cannot build extra cities and so will not have as many specialty districts as other civilizations. Instead, Venice is dependent on trade. They cannot compete scientifically, culturally, religiously, or monetarily unless their trade routes are reaching the best trade destinations. As trade yields scale with luxuries, you'll need to strategically capture cities in trading range of whoever has the most luxuries and maintain good relations with them. Capturing those cities will be easy early game if they're near the coast. Enrico Dandolo comes with a naval siege unit, the War Galley, and can cheaply acquire extra units from neighboring city-states.

If trade is doing well, Venice is doing well. There will be enough gold to substitute for the lack of additional build queues, and they shouldn't fall far behind on the technology or civics tree. With the extra money, they can supplement their weaknesses by buying the relevant Great People at a reduced cost. This also gives them access to cheap Great Works. Each Great Work in Venice is worth more than it is anywhere else, as Venice's trade routes and its unique building, The Fondaco, multiply tourism pressure several times over.

While Venice itself is suited to a cultural victory, utilizing trade routes and affordable Artists and Writers, under Dandolo, it's also suited to domination victories on small island maps.

-----------------------------
    FAQ

"Is Dandolo animated?"
    No

"Do you use any original art?"
    No. The Fondaco uses the Market's model, and the War Galley uses the Quadrireme's model.

"Is it balanced?"
    It's balanced for emperor with all standard settings. AI-Venice will be fairly underpowered.

"Is this compatible with mod X?"
    The mod supports Yet Not Another Earth Map Pack, but no other mods have been tested.

"Does this work in True Start?"
    Not at the moment. If anyone knows how to implement True Start compatibility, let me know and I'll do so.

"Will you continue to develop this?"
    Yes. I'll continue to balance it and implement advice. I may follow with an alternate leader at some point.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    diaul likes this.
  2. VainApocalypse

VainApocalypse Chieftain

People have requested that I make the mod available outside of the Workshop. For the moment, you can obtain the files here:

https://ufile.io/ol2a6

marshallleite, diaul and [to_xp]Gekko like this.
  3. marshallleite

marshallleite Chieftain

Hi,

Can we get version 1.0.3 to test out here?

Thanks