1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Venice Start Bias?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Dreadnought, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Does Venice have a coastal start bias?

After doing a couple of game startups, I've gotten much more landlocked starts than coastal ones. Do I just have bad luck?

2. Botswana

Botswana Chieftain

Venice has a coastal bias, since being a maritime power is its major strength.

3. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

Venice has coastal start bias of over 9 million. If a map has a coast, it will be there, and it's placed before all the other coastal-biased civs.

turn off "Disable start bias" from the advanced set up menu, you might have turned it on by accident.

4. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Venice has this special first pick bias. After the game picks all the start areas, Venice is put in what the game consider the best start position in the game.

5. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

I think the start bias system is a bit buggy. The first ten or so games I started as Portugal started me landlocked. Just restart until you get the desired result.

6. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Yeah, don't feel too bad about restarting if you get a landlocked Venice start, or a Morocco start with no desert in sight (or, like, two desert tiles surrounded by grasslands).

7. BrokenSky

BrokenSky Warlord

I was playing a G&K game about a week ago as Arabia, and it just refused to spawn me near a desert. Jungle, plains, even near tundra!

yeah you're just a bit unlucky. Reload.

8. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Not the best position in the game. Just the first coastal start location.

9. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I thought it was said by the devs that Venice gets first pick of all of the locations, hence they get the best.

10. Ulthwithian

Ulthwithian King

SamBC: I dunno... one Venice game I had started me next to 3 Wheat and 2 Salt....

Yeah, that game was turned off for being too easy.

11. Optional

Optional Deity

A bias is still a bias, not a guarantee.

Some map scripts, like Archipelago and Small Continents, give forced coastal starts, meaning every civ is guaranteed start on the coast on those maps, but then it's in the map script. The rules for individual civs don't force anything like this.
    Just restart, unless you want to give yourself a handicap.

12. pintocat

pintocat Warlord

My Venice looked like a terrible location, and it somewhat was at first. But my full borders grew to encompass 4 different luxuries. I couldn't actively work them all, but it gave me a lot of resource diversity. Unfortunately, while I did get a coast, I was on the north coast, across from a polar ice cap, so until I got expanded ocean travel, I was pretty much limited to land caravans with my close neighbors.

13. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

If there's only one coastal start location, and Venice, England and Polynesia are all in the game, Venice gets it. That's the "first pick".

I've had several crappy starts as Venice.

14. Byzantine Bomb

Byzantine Bomb Warlord

It seems Venice starts near the coast. Or in my case, on an inland sea ONE tile from the real coast.
    :wallbash: