Venice: The Most Serene Republic

Opera

Deity
Introduction

This mod adds a new civ: the Venetian Republic.

I'm aware that there is already some Italy mods. But for me, Italy refers only to the most modern state born around 1860, not to the states that existed in the Italian Peninsula before that.

The Venetian Republic existed from the 5th century AD to 1797.

Features

Leader: Andrea Gritti
Trait: The City of Masks; each kind of food or luxury resource improved near a city gives culture.
UU: Galleass, replacing Caravel; stronger but less suited to exploration.
UU: Condottieri, replacing Longwordman; doesn't require Iron but has a higher maintenance.

History of the mod

Oct. 6, 2010: version 2a is out! - Changelog
Oct. 6, 2010: version 1a is out!

Note

The mod is in an alpha stage. I playtested it but might have missed some things, please report the issues here!

Download

The mod is available on the hub!

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3,415
  • Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,807
Cool. Can't wait for Portugal! ;)

Thanks!

Did anyone experience trouble installing the mod? I got some reports about that.

Okay, version 2 is up in the hub.

Changelog is short:

1. Fixed a yields issue with the Palace
2. Fixed the installation

Did you know I've spent the last few days trying to decide if I should make a Venetian civ? No joke, I've been tossing around ideas for new civilizations and Venice was at the top of the list. Thanks for beating me to the punch, though; means I don't have to do anything. :)

Did you know I've spent the last few days trying to decide if I should make a Venetian civ? No joke, I've been tossing around ideas for new civilizations and Venice was at the top of the list. Thanks for beating me to the punch, though; means I don't have to do anything. :)
Aw, sorry. I was actually worried it would happen to me :lol:

Would you have done things differently than me?

There doesn't have to be "only one" version of a civ ...

I believe there were several different versions of Confederate America and Nazi Germany

Aw, sorry. I was actually worried it would happen to me :lol:

Would you have done things differently than me?

Hehe, no worries. :)

Well, I didn't get too far in my plans - I'm working on another mod that's taking priority - but I did have some ideas that differ from yours. For example, I was thinking of giving them a trait called "Thalassocracy" that would give a combat bonus to naval units. I would also have given them "Glass Blower" as a unique building.

There are some similarities, though, namely the unique unit. The Galleas is almost exactly like what I had in mind, right down to the name.

what was Glass Blower UB gonna do? ... where did u get ur Profile pic btw? :eek::cry:

what was Glass Blower UB gonna do? ... where did u get ur Profile pic btw? :eek::cry:

I never decided. It would replace the Market, but I couldn't think of a creative bonus for it.

My avatar is from the SomethingAwful forums. There was a thread about some 3D modeling software and people made a bunch of goofy Captain America pictures with it.

Questions:

Whose leaderhead did you use?
And are the unique units custom graphics? If so, what do they look like O_O
Also did you replace the city-state of venice with something else?

Questions:

Whose leaderhead did you use?
I used Alexander. Wasn't sure which one to use actually; but note, I didn't use Alexander's personality, I made a unique one.
And are the unique units custom graphics? If so, what do they look like O_O
No, they aren't using unique graphics. I'm not a graphics person and there's not much to choose from currently :D
Also did you replace the city-state of venice with something else?
I knew I forgot something! Could replace it with Dubrovnik.

Always credit where credit is due ;)

So I imported it to my mod, have tried a few debug's with it (debug auto run 100 turns). Noticed a small issue, Venices Tech progress is about half of what the other Civ's tech progress is.

33 turns for pottery instead of 16 for example. Not sure what the prob is (63 turns on epic aposed to 16), thier gold per turn seems to be 2-3 gold less than all other cive too, Ive also got SPain added In and they seem to be fine. I did read somewhere on these forums somthign about the Palace giving extra benefits? Mayeb this is the prob?

Alexander on his smug horse fits for a nation calling itself "most serene republic"

but... were there any horses in venice :think:

Sorry wrong forum ;)

On a side note, I think I may have tracked down the problem, in your Buildings_Venice.xml you have the Yields setting BUILDING_PALACE and not BUILDING_DOGE_PALACE, changed the entiries, 8 I think, now about to test it.

Yep changing them lines, they are now inline with all the other Civs.

@Horem: Indeed! I copy-pasted and forgot to change the name... :lol: Will need to upload a v3 then.

@labrynianrebel: "Most Serene" doesn't mean "most peaceful", but "most sovereign", reference to the name "serene highness" used for princes and all. And horses were pretty much everywhere in Europe, weren't they?

I just found it odd the idea of someone riding around venice on a horse

Top Bottom