1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Venice: The Most Serene Republic

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by Opera, Oct 6, 2010.

1. bombetta

bombetta Chieftain

hi i have some trouble with the mod i cannot build condottieri instead of longswordman and there isn't a list of city name there is any solution?

2. Opera

Opera Deity

I'll have to look into it, maybe the recent patch broke it.

3. rhammer640

rhammer640 Russian Monk

is there a new version that fixes the city name issue yet?

This is the only civ i play with and its kind of annoying, thanks!

4. Moraiwe

Moraiwe Warlord

Haven't found a fix to the City Names problem, but I found a typo in the Civ_Venice.xml file.

About 17 lines from the bottom, the line:
    <UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_LONGSWORDMAN</UnitClassType>

is missing the second "s" in LONGSWORDSMAN. Adding the "s" allowed me to build the Condottieri, whereas before it was never an option.

5. Garett20

Garett20 Prince

Welcome to CFC!:)

6. Bananijoe

Bananijoe Chieftain

Found a MOD-Incompatibility:
    - Thal´s-Balance v5
    - Civilization Venice

Error: In the City, cant open Production- or Purchase-Menu any longer
    Occurrence: Error occurred after updating "Thal´s-Balance" to v5, with Patch 1.0.1.217
    Actions: Cleared cache, narrowed responsible Mods down to one "Civilization Venice",
    confirmed by only installing these two mods - which resulted in error

Uninstalling "Venice" resolved the problem

7. D712

D712 Queen

Hey, can you update this for the newest update? Whenever I settle a city it does that "TXT_KEY" thing. Please do, I really like this civ.

8. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Opera, if you are still supporting this mod, I too would sure appreciate an update! This is one of my favorite mods. Admittedly I'm a bit prejudiced...I was born not far from Venice, in Trieste. :D

9. Opera

Opera Deity

I looked into it but I'm having an issue with text_keys. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I'm not sure to what it is related but I don't want to release a new version knowing it has a bug in it.

10. TacDev

TacDev Chieftain

Are one of your cities named the same as a city state or city of another civilization? For example for my Vietnam civ I had to remove Hanoi city state because it conflicted with my city named Hanoi. Same text error occurred for my Sengoku Jidai scenario, in that case I had too remove Japan's city names.

It may be showing up as text_key only on the games where that other city name is present. Hopefully that is the case and you can fix it :D

11. Opera

Opera Deity

Oh, right, the obvious conflict would be with the Venezia city-state which IIRC is in the base game.

12. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Simple solution - rename everything "Venezia" from "Venice" in the mod files. Should work, right?

13. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

Isn't the city state called Venice rather than Venezia? Where lies the conflict?

14. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

It could be 'Venezia' in the files?

15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

The original mod data files have "Venice" almost everywhere which is the same name as the city state in the original game. Venezia is mentioned in descriptive text IIRC. I'm trying to edit them to see if that helps.

16. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Is there no more interest in updating and fixing this mod any longer? I sincerely hope for it.

17. malcolm01234

malcolm01234 Just A Grain Of Sand

Does this mod have a custom leaderhead or does it use a original one?

18. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

If I had the skills needed for modding, I would have given Venice the UA "masters of diplomacy": receive a large sum of gold everytime a civilization that you have already met declares war to somebody other than you, and everytime you sign a peace treaty (you would receive something like 150 gold multiplied by the number of the era you are in).
    This may just be because of what I've been told about Venize's role in Constantinople's sacking, though :lol:

I really like your mod, by the way, don't let yourself be fooled by my previous rambling.

19. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Mods can't currently add completely new UA, so that's why that can't be done

20. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

Ah, shame.
    I vaguely remember reading that you can't save new variables in mods (or that they reinitiate themselves as soon as you reload the game), is that the problem? Theoretically, my idea is quite simple, you receive a goody (gold) everytime a certain requirement is met, just as the Spanish UA, or the free GS with Babylon.
    If I had time, I guess I could learn how to mod and try to find why it can't be done myself, but oh well. The specificness comes from the fact that it is a UA? You've done some really neat stuff with your wonders, and there are mods (like the "emigration" mod, from killmeplease IIRC) which add whole new mechanics...
    Sorry for bugging you with all this.