Venice type Civ in 6?

dunkleosteus

Roman Pleb
Having a civ that can't settle cities is a lot harder in Civ 6 than it was in Civ 5. With R&F, having spread out cities is also bad, as it causes your loyalty to drop pretty badly. I was trying to imagine how you could work Venice's playstyle into the game: a civ that can't produce settlers but interacts well with city states. I came up with something like this: +1 envoy in city states for each trade route you send to it (if you take the trade route off, you lose the envoy). Trade routes exert very heavy loyalty pressure. Extra trade routes at various techs or civics. Would have to do something similar to England and allow this Civ to get a trade route from both the Harbor and Commercial hub.

Basically, you would use trade routes to flip city states or the cities of other civs to your side. Once you had them, you could use some of your trade routes to maintain loyalty. You can also use your trade routes to ensure suzerainship of any city states that are key to your plans.

Would be hard to pull , aside luxury recources , you need room for Districs , AND Wonders..unless you can grab city states fast somehow , it would get annoying simply for lack of room to build your stuff.

How about the ability to literally buy loyalty? More akin to Austria than Venice, granted.

Venice never worked too well. There's a reason why they typically got wiped from any given game I played. Can't be an empire of singular cities scattered about.

Might be a good ability for Portugal. Couldn't recruit massive armies, so they emphasized bribery....err, diplomatic negotiations.

Top Bottom