[NOT IN DEVELOPMENT] DOC Community Mod Compilation

Found the 1700 AD error. I was missing a newline on on line 28792. Thank god for logs. I should have checked the logs first.

EDIT: Fix pushed. I also made all UPs that expire at the end of an era instead expire after an increment of 15 techs. 15 for end of Ancient, start of Classical, 30 Classical Medieval, 45 Med Ren, 60 Ren Ind I haven't tested this any more than starting a game as Harrappa and ensuring their UP still works when the player has the base techs and making sure that China's tech doesn't go out of control during a 3000 BC Canadian spawn. If anyone finds anything I missed, please report it.

Gave the Mayans a new UP where their Cottages provide 1 Food. What UPs do you guys think are too passive/overpowered/underpowered? America specifically is something I want to change I hate UPs that enforce specific civics or religions. No other nation has this, why does America? I decided to spitball a few idea replacements:
  • The Power of the American Dream: +25% Growth Rate, Production, Gold, etc per Culture level of Cities
  • The Power of Manifest Destiny: Newly settled cities gain 1 Population for every Luxury in it's BFC. +1 Movement for settlers.
  • The Power of the Square Deal: +25% Happiness from Preserves, -25% Unhappiness from Corporations.
Also, do Nature Preserves give +1 Health? I know forests do, but if Preserves don't already they should.

Just a question -- every time you push a new fix do you also keep this modmod up to day with daily fixes done by Leoreth with the main mod?

Just a question -- every time you push a new fix do you also keep this modmod up to day with daily fixes done by Leoreth with the main mod?
I'm about to update it to the latest DOC git. I try to keep it up to date, though I sometimes fall behind, like today

Gave the Mayans a new UP where their Cottages provide 1 Food. What UPs do you guys think are too passive/overpowered/underpowered? America specifically is something I want to change I hate UPs that enforce specific civics or religions. No other nation has this, why does America? I decided to spitball a few idea replacements:
  • The Power of the American Dream: +25% Growth Rate, Production, Gold, etc per Culture level of Cities
  • The Power of Manifest Destiny: Newly settled cities gain 1 Population for every Luxury in it's BFC. +1 Movement for settlers.
  • The Power of the Square Deal: +25% Happiness from Preserves, -25% Unhappiness from Corporations.
Also, do Nature Preserves give +1 Health? I know forests do, but if Preserves don't already they should.

I believe the current American UP was a direct response to America's happiness problems at spawn, which lead the AI in particular to adopt Monarchy as a solution. I noticed when trying out Australia that happiness is still definitely an issue for late spawning civs, so the American UP still has a place I think. Another suggestion that was tossed around at the time was letting the Gold 'slider' provide happiness like the culture slider does, but this wouldn't do anything for the AI, which I believe always runs 80% research and 20% espionage. It also no longer has the synergy between a high gold slider and rushing infrastructure through the old Capitalism civic, since that effect is on Public Welfare now. I personally have no issues with the American UP encouraging the four civics that it does, and it has the effect of providing +8 happiness, which is huge for growing cities and offsetting Corporation unhappiness.

Some UP's I don't like though (all speaking in context of UHV):
  • Netherlands. Very appropriate thematically, and a very strong UP, but the placement of Trading Company in the tech tree means you never really use it for the UHV. In fact, you can win the UHV without researching a single new tech. The UB has this same problem, in that they both come too late to put in serious work for the UHV.
  • Byzantium. Also pretty appropriate thematically, but I tend not to use it for several reasons. First is that it costs a decent amount of gold to bribe, and you need 1 spy/unit bribed. I always think the UP is strongest pre-1000 AD for all the barb horse archers that spawn in the Balkans at that time, but to use it goes against two other things you need to be doing at that time: massing gold for UHV 1, and building real military units and not spies for the Seljuks. After 1000 AD, you have a bunch of gold to dump and the UP would then become useful, but barb spawns noticeably decrease at that time too, so it becomes useless again. The extra gold from diplo trades is okay, but nothing too great since you have very few trade partners around (Spain and Arabia both care too much about religion).
  • Khmer. Takes far too long for workers to build a farm on a rainforest tile, and your prize is a 2F/0H/0C tile. Haven't tried it yet with the +1H change to vassalage, which might make it a bit more useful (2F/1H/0C) (assuming use of Caste System rather than Manoralism), but its just better to whip a harbour out and then work 2F/2C coast tiles. Doesn't help that there's maybe 5 tiles total that the UP can be used to farm, most of them around Pagan.
  • Korea. Helpful for the UHV, but pretty boring all-in-all. Just kind of something that's there.
Aside from these, I think most of the UP's are pretty great, and tend to be helpful both for the UHV and general play, and are thematically appropriate. The other two mediocre ones are China and Maya, since they both just offset civ modifiers in rather non-interactive ways.

I believe the current American UP was a direct response to America's happiness problems at spawn, which lead the AI in particular to adopt Monarchy as a solution. I noticed when trying out Australia that happiness is still definitely an issue for late spawning civs, so the American UP still has a place I think. Another suggestion that was tossed around at the time was letting the Gold 'slider' provide happiness like the culture slider does, but this wouldn't do anything for the AI, which I believe always runs 80% research and 20% espionage. It also no longer has the synergy between a high gold slider and rushing infrastructure through the old Capitalism civic, since that effect is on Public Welfare now. I personally have no issues with the American UP encouraging the four civics that it does, and it has the effect of providing +8 happiness, which is huge for growing cities and offsetting Corporation unhappiness.

Some UP's I don't like though (all speaking in context of UHV):
  • Netherlands. Very appropriate thematically, and a very strong UP, but the placement of Trading Company in the tech tree means you never really use it for the UHV. In fact, you can win the UHV without researching a single new tech. The UB has this same problem, in that they both come too late to put in serious work for the UHV.
  • Byzantium. Also pretty appropriate thematically, but I tend not to use it for several reasons. First is that it costs a decent amount of gold to bribe, and you need 1 spy/unit bribed. I always think the UP is strongest pre-1000 AD for all the barb horse archers that spawn in the Balkans at that time, but to use it goes against two other things you need to be doing at that time: massing gold for UHV 1, and building real military units and not spies for the Seljuks. After 1000 AD, you have a bunch of gold to dump and the UP would then become useful, but barb spawns noticeably decrease at that time too, so it becomes useless again. The extra gold from diplo trades is okay, but nothing too great since you have very few trade partners around (Spain and Arabia both care too much about religion).
  • Khmer. Takes far too long for workers to build a farm on a rainforest tile, and your prize is a 2F/0H/0C tile. Haven't tried it yet with the +1H change to vassalage, which might make it a bit more useful (2F/1H/0C) (assuming use of Caste System rather than Manoralism), but its just better to whip a harbour out and then work 2F/2C coast tiles. Doesn't help that there's maybe 5 tiles total that the UP can be used to farm, most of them around Pagan.
  • Korea. Helpful for the UHV, but pretty boring all-in-all. Just kind of something that's there.
Aside from these, I think most of the UP's are pretty great, and tend to be helpful both for the UHV and general play, and are thematically appropriate. The other two mediocre ones are China and Maya, since they both just offset civ modifiers in rather non-interactive ways.

If America is having happiness issues without the UP, perhaps we should just give them a higher happiness from difficulty bonus instead of wasting their UP on an effect that solely serves as a conditional stopgap.

Thank you very much for these suggestions of UPs to look at. I'm not very knowledgable about any of these civs' gameplay, with the exception of Korea. Do you have any ideas of what UPs could replace the current ones.

Have you had any time to try out the new Mayan UP?

Egypt's UP (some civics are enabled at start, before you have the prereqs) feels kind of underwhelming, because virtually all civs start with appropriate civics, but I guess it's useful.

Canada's UP (immigrants bring GP points) is thematically cool but rarely has a noticeable effect.

Is it included with the RFC Dawn of Civilization github zip? Since your download link redirects to that. I did download that, but did not see anything of your mod show up ingame.

I was also thinking a new UP for tha Maya (Yucatan Urbanization):
Core cities +1 :food: and improvements adjacent to two core cities +1 :food:

Edited landtiles -> improvements

Last edited:
Is it included with the RFC Dawn of Civilization github zip? Since your download link redirects to that. I did download that, but did not see anything of your mod show up ingame.
It should send you to an earthcrafterman fork of DOC on the branch named BalanceAndCivs. I just tested the link and it should work.

New update!

• New Stone in Mayan Core
  • Park gives 1 Happiness
  • Nature Reserve gives 1 Health
  • Public Transportation gives 25% commerce
  • Railway Stations no longer give a flat 25% commerce, but instead 25% commerce for Coal and another for Oil, this way the Unhealth from these resources makes sense.
I tried adding some effects pertaining to gold from certain routes from certain buildings and routes from buildings in cities near other cities, but my code didn't work, I gave up, and I settled on some simple XML tweaks.

New update!
  • Railway Stations no longer give a flat 25% commerce, but instead 25% commerce for Coal and another for Oil, this way the Unhealth from these resources makes sense.

I think 15%:gold:&15%:gold: would be more balanced, like Industrial Park.
It's a shame that the trade routes from adjacent cities didn't work, but's this is better than the original.

Last edited:
I think 15%:gold:&15%:gold: would be more balanced, like Industrial Park.
It's a shame that the trade routes from ajadent cities didn't work, but's this is better than the original.
Good point, I was deliberating the amount but I wasn't sure so I just defaulted to 25. Change to 15% pushed.

Would this update work for current savefiles or not?
I don't think anything I did will break saves if that's what you're asking, whether it'll break the balance of in progress games depends on how strict you are with balance

I kept asking @Leoreth about coal Transport, a Steamer, because there is a glaring gap between Sail powered Galleon and Oil power Transport which comes so late that most of WW1 type fighting has to be conducted with Galleons. Very bad to see sails in late Industrial -early Modern Oceans...Do you think you can add one sea unit like this?

Oh yeah, well in my modmod I added a steam powered transport before it was cool! *adjusts glasses*

Top Bottom