Version 11 playtest feedback

davidlallen

Deity
Please post any questions or suggestions for Version 11 of Fury Road on this thread. If you find a bug, please attach a save game.

Played a game, got beat, no problems. Good game. Then decided to do something else for a while, and started Civ IV BtS and got a bunch of popups about failing to find the FuryRoad mod. Kind of like the python exceptions you get when you try to "Play Now" regular civ after playing a public map in a mod, except this was just when Civ was starting. The mod is correctly installed in the mods directory and the desktop shortcut works.

Attachments

• NoMod.jpg
    NoMod.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 267
I also get this behavior, and I don't think there is anything I can do about it. Fury Road relies heavily on custom mapscripts which don't exist anywhere else. Whenever you play any civ game, the game updates your CivilizationIV.ini file with the name of the mapscript you used. Then when you play another game, with a different assortment of mapscripts, you will get this error.

If anybody can suggest how to avoid this, I would be happy to implement it, but it happens whenever you switch away from a mod with custom mapscripts.

I downloaded your modpack, as I though it was a cool idea. My problem is, I can not progress past the first turn. I have 3.19bts and the game starts and everything, but when I click the end turn button, I have a ctd. I must have done something wrong or something, do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum! Are you able to play other mods you have downloaded from civfanatics, such as FFH or planetfall?

I have downloaded Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and it works great. Also, I play the History in the Making mod and it works fine. I tried to install the Master of Orion mod (4l) but it also will play but will ctd upon map setup. It seems that the programs want to play, but something happens and they crash. Yours on the first turn when I push the button to end, and MoO2 when the map sets up.

I am not sure what is wrong, here are some questions to find any difference between your setup and mine.

I am pretty sure you installed FR and MOO in the "normal place", which is under program files\...civilization iv\beyond the sword\mods\fury road, for example. Is that true?

Do you have anything, such as possibly an install of BUG, in your directory my documents\my games\beyond the sword\customassets directory?

What operating system are you running, such as xp, vista or windows 7?

Are you using the English language for the mod, or some other language?

If you are OK with copying and moving files around, please locate mods\fury road\assets\cvgamecoredll.dll, and move it out of the directory temporarily. Then load the mod again. If this works, it means something is wrong with that particular file. You can run the mod without it, but animals will spring out of the fog of war along roads and attack you. This is a little frustrating but not fatal.

To answer your questions, 1: Yes, I placed the files in the "normal" place. 2: No I did not have BUG anywhere in my files, but the modpack History of the World has a BUG option that I have not activated. 3: English and XP professional. I removed the dll file as suggested and now the turns roll over just fine. Of course i would like to know what is wrong and maybe to fix it, as I am a modder myself (Oblivion and Space Empires V). This at least gives me a chance to play the game and come up with ideas to give to you and maybe my own things. I will play it as it looks really good and give my thoughts on it. I do like punks with shotguns riding across the wasteland causing havoc.

Great game - not sure which thread to put this in .

Link to Map of Oz - http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9519 - as I recall cities ar emainly to teh right (east) of the map so you'd need balance it out or have all the starts in the bush

also - thought about this re a suggestion that have metro .... mmm big huge ginaromous cities say NY & Newark with outlying cities - you - could possibly do it like colonization have satellites / sall cities to the left of the map with starting there only so need to expand into the major conurbations. Thus longer you take more 'inhabitted with barbarians it becomes plsu equal access to the goodies there.

anyways just thought I would share

Link to Map of Oz ... thought about this re a suggestion that have metro .... mmm big huge ginaromous cities say NY & Newark with outlying cities

A long time ago somewhere in this forum we discussed about scenario maps. A map of Australia would be a good one; as you point out balancing the start positions is tricky. It might also be fun to have a map with one big ruined city in the middle and all the start positions are outside it at about the same distance. So you rush to the city and encounter all the other players there. That one may be possible to do as a mapscript; the Dune Wars mod I have been working on lately has a similar idea with a rush to the polar ice cap.

I played two times and my opinions are:

- I think the games were quite 'light'.
- I'm fan of Fallout since 'Fallout tactics 2'. I was expecting more units... Man, the steel guys don't have units in power armors... that must be in the improvements list ;) And were are the supermutants? (supermutants could appear like 'Orthus' does in 'FfH or Fall Further', i don't remember; the point is: Supermutant is released at turn X and the player is notified when and where it occurs, because the supermutant is strong enough to wipe your cities [14 strenght is ok], but slow enough to prepare a good defense [1 step / turn].) This paragraph means: It needs unique units, unique buildings and supermutants.
- Capitol victory... I get defeated in my first game because of that. I was overwhelming the borders with 'Hopeville' and eventually she offers to be my vassal... I accepted and she with my protection and my open borders treaties rushed to a capitol victory... Nice AI.
- I missed the hemispheres map.

- Final opinion: Nice mod with nice environment (I been figthing for the ruined depos and oil tiles) but, I hope it's not in the final version because can be improoved a lot.

I'm fan of Fallout since 'Fallout tactics 2'. I was expecting more units... Man, the steel guys don't have units in power armors... that must be in the improvements list ;) And were are the supermutants?

Thanks for the feedback! I agree there is a lot more that can be added. Several other people have suggested material from Fallout, also including ghouls and deathclaws as a civ, with quite a lot of details. In fact there are a couple of threads where people have discussed mod-mods to add more Fallout. Today the mod is probably 90% Mad Max and 10% Fallout.

Anybody who wants to carry forward the Fallout idea is quite welcome to use this as a basis. If I go back to do more development, I will make the tech tree bigger, and perhaps add "future tech" such as supermutants and powered armor.

Hummm... I understand but, What is 'Mad Max'?? I'm not joking, I never saw that game haha :lol:

Anyways, I'm going to create some ideas about unique techs, units and buildings.
Shamely I'm now in London with my MacBook and I only have CivIV for PC, in Spain, otherwise I'd try to make some XML (I know PHP, MySQL, HTML and JavaScript; XML can't be so difficult, can it?)

So, I'll post anywhere my ideas, chewing them enough to be an 'easy coding thing' for those who know the programming language.

EDIT: Hi again, just to let you know I created a brainstorm thread.

What is 'Mad Max'?? I'm not joking, I never saw that game

What ?!? How can it be? You cannot play Fury Road anymore until you rent the *movie* Mad Max. The earlier one, "The Road Warrior", is OK. The sequel, "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome", is useful for visuals but the plot is not very good.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree there is a lot more that can be added. Several other people have suggested material from Fallout, also including ghouls and deathclaws as a civ, with quite a lot of details.

Not a very good suggestion imho.
But you could first begin to make the civs more unique.
A real tribal civ, with spear handling guys, and a "shaman" healer unit, a more tech focussed civ, which can more develop into techs, a "raider civ", which is just interested in money, etc.

Hummm... I understand but, What is 'Mad Max'?? I'm not joking, I never saw that game haha :lol:

*argh* *heart attack*

Been playing this mod for years now GREAT JOB !!!! Please don't let it die!!! Your work on this has been awesome! This version works great no problems so far. As a huge MAD MAX fan this mod really pleases me and yes I'm addicted to it :) changes I'd like to see not much just music and more MAD MAX stuff !!!! I just can't get enough of it !! I heard the MAD MAX 4 movie may be filming and Mel is back!! He will play an aging MAX with words of wisdom to a younger generation of road worriors!! But rumors change with this new MAX movie :) Again I beg you "KEEP THIS MOD ALIVE" or I will have to go MAX on you :)

Thanks for the feedback! Glad people are excited about it. Do you know if they will use the name "Fury Road" for the next movie? There have been rumors about the next movie for several years, and the old rumors said that "Fury Road" would be the name. That is where I got the idea.

(joke) If they do try to use that name, perhaps I will sue them for infringement, since my Fury Road mod is clearly a pre-existing public usage of the name.

Fury Road was Mad Max 4's name at the start of the announcement back in 2002 I think. Production was halted for security reasons in Africa. There are many ideas, there was a cartoon but nothing came of it. The movie last I heard 2011-12 summertime. Been waiting a long time but got your awesome mod to play again thanx!!! I'm looking through my old website info I remember a site where you could download sound effect files but last I was told he only will mail them out now on cd. I'll let you know. :D

Really enjoying this, especially the new map features. A new victory condition, while it may need tweaking, is an excellent concept - we don't just want a reskin of vanilla civ4 after all, and this makes things unique. Now of course the mod is in development, but I would suggest the following for where to focus on first to improve the playing experience:

I actually like the 'light' approach to techs and, to a lesser extent, units. This isn't civ4 and should reflect the fact that civilization is barely advancing.

I would certainly focus on the civs. Having fewer but with more defined playstyles and flavours would enhance things hugely.

I appreciate that the world is dangerous so the barbarian animals need to be more threatening than vanilla, but they could maybe wait a little longer to start spawning. I'm terrified to step outside my cultural boundary at the moment. It would be nice to get a little look at the barren landscape before I get eaten by a mutant monkey thing!

Music! While not a priority those panpipes have got to go. Just switching to something more appropriate from the main civ4 game or scenarios would add to immersion.

Looking forward to future development.

Thanks for the feedback! You are *supposed* to be afraid to step outside your territory, so this part of the game design is working correctly. I agree that adding UU and UB would be a good first step to making the civs more unique, possibly followed by additional civilization-specific abilities. There were some ideas about this in the older threads. Regarding music, for a variety of reasons I always play with sound off. So I have not really thought about this. There was a post recommending one artist whose songs might fit. Clearly the easiest is to pick some of the existing civ music.

Top Bottom