1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Version 40 Design Cycle Plans

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Thunderbrd, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

@ the team:

Here is a place to discuss our plans for v40. Please put forward your requests and intentions so we can discuss the plans together and possibly improve our collaborative efforts.

I know a LOT is coming that's going to revolutionize the coding. Toffer is talking about immediately merging in PPIO (finally), Alberts2 is presenting a huge set of fixes that will break compatibility, Anq is closing in rapidly on getting BuildingClass out of here, BillW is exploring the use of Git, Kation is about to introduce 2 newly reordered era tech trees, and we've been talking about restructuring tons of tags so that they are more efficient by far.

For me, there's some immediate needed work on the loading and unloading mechanism and some deep fundamental restructuring of that system as a whole.

I am also extremely aware of some needs in the AI and would like to soon propose some new ways to fundamentally reshape how the unit AI functions in a more XML defined manner.

I also want to make forward progress on any of numerous ongoing projects that will have a huge impression on the game in the end. These include the Outbreaks and Afflictions system, the Traps and Mines system, our Unit balances, some force-split combat dynamics in Size Matters, Yield inventories and unit population growth by food collection, the Ideas project, a Morale system, Electricity property, building out more of the combat mod options, and more. I know not all of this will get done - I'm just leaving these here as notes to self.

What are your goals and what's on your agenda?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Other than merging PPIO to core...
    I guess I should try to finish upgrading the last of the bamboo models, currently 7 models are new while 6 are old. This makes the bamboo forest a graphical mishmash of styles/quality.

After reinstalling windows in May, I haven't really felt like setting up the two versions of the blender software that I need to work on the bamboo models. The setup for each blender requires plugins and third party python software like PyFFI to work with nif files. Ach...

TaylorItaly likes this.
  3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Now I don't have much of plans, maybe revising unit upgrades after Kation adds revised version of Prehistoric/Information eras, I will check buildings and units prereqs before that though just in case (easy with PPIO and my modmod designed specially for this task).

Maybe fixing some typos and merging modules too.

Didn't you want to rename hundreds of tags to match displayed name?
    For example one tech is named MOTER_SPORTS (there are more bizarrely named techs in XML) and ingame name is Motorsports.

TaylorItaly and KaTiON_PT like this.
  4. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Chieftain

• Change in-game tags to their proper names during the save breaking changes period.
    • Rework the prehistoric and information era tech trees to make them more balanced and try to make them have more historical accuracy
    • Add new models to improvements and other terrain features that need them, like space stuff. I'll make a thread about new model requests for given stuff in the future.
    • Continue adding strategy sections, update pedia sections and add quotes sources across the eras.
    Can you change that to 'reorder'? The way it's phrased makes it sound I am adding more techs to the game. :lol:

TaylorItaly and raxo2222 like this.
  5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That sounds like a project you'd excel at and yes, it's something to be done right around the time we break compatibility.
    k

KaTiON_PT and raxo2222 like this.
  6. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

What about cpp files? There may be some files referencing this stuff, so compilation would be needed.

7. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Change those that the dll don't reference first, then talk with a dll modders about helping out with the remaining ones.

raxo2222 likes this.
  8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Where this is happening is probably best to bring up and point out as something to be moved away from the hardcoding that this would represent anyhow. Generaly, this will not commonly be a problem. For game options, it's probably best to leave the names as they are in the XML because they are reflected as well in the code in numerous places. Not ALL end user names must be a complete match to <type> definitions. The goal is to improve the harmony between those, not perfect it to the nth degree.

Toffer90 and raxo2222 like this.
  9. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Chieftain

I'll deal with the DLL side of the tags @raxo2222.

raxo2222 likes this.
  10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I have another goal in mind for his cycle and it's a very important one but I need some help with it.

We need to split out Air Combatants from the land ones and create the Great Aviator.

He needs to be able to attach only to an Air unit or be placed into a city as a Top Gun Trainer or something, and I want to split up Great Commanders into Land, Naval, and Air versions that can only benefit those of their domain type. There are probably some buildings and Traditions that should accompany him.

That last part of the coding work is on my end and it should be quite interesting but I do want help with the unit art and XML basics if I can get it. He might need his own AI. Might.

There's a bit of XML work to do to replace the Combatant UnitCombat with the Air Combatant one in numerous places of reference. Lots of random stuff to do for this.

11. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

So all techs, buildings, units, civics, resources, features, terrains and improvements tags can be renamed.
    All other stuff can stay like traits and promotions.

Pepper's solar system terrains (planets and moons) have planet/moon name in XML, but displayed name is more generic, so TERRAIN_JUPITER is Gas Giant in game though.

And how do we break save compatibility?
    We break it in single commit using branch specially made for save breaking changes (that is save breaking merge)?
    Or we allow week or month to break saves again and again?

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Those can be renamed but make sure that you understand how the replacements work and make sure that the renaming stays in line for those replacements as well.

This stuff doesn't technically break save compatibility but it can cause major havoc to games in play. You could do this as a branch if you wish. If you can bring this stuff into play after Alberts2's main compatibility breaking merge, that would be helpful to hold off until then.

raxo2222 likes this.
  13. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Renaming buildings and units doesn't break compatibility too, you just will lose them in existing games.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That's what I was saying - I wasn't just referring to traits and promotions. Out of curiosity, why did you isolate those as something we might not want to adapt?

15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Continue to work on Civics.

TaylorItaly, raxo2222 and Thunderbrd like this.
  16. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Well this was example - you said that we don't have to rename all mismatched things.

17. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

A one month period where save breaking/problematic changes are allowed is what makes most sense to me.
    Gives us the time and flexibility to really clean stuff up if needed.
    If we feel we have done enough on that front after e.g. two weeks, then we can just officially end that period early, a decision TB could make if he wanted.

Anq, TaylorItaly and raxo2222 like this.
  18. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Once upon a time there were some Individual Crimes that had bad names. Maybe some still do. These broke save game comp the last time it was tried to correct them.

TaylorItaly, KaTiON_PT and raxo2222 like this.
  19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The main things I was trying to say we don't have to rename are the things that will take far too deep a restructuring to make it worthwhile. However, if Kation is willing to step into the code for that, I won't get in his way :)

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah, I mean once we open the gateway, let's get in and get it all done as quickly as we can. I think you're right Toffer that usually when we do this kind of thing, we see the first save breaking change hit and then we try to get them all wrapped up in as little time after that as possible. Let's keep intent communication on save breaking changes as open as possible and all be looking to try to seal off that section of modding time as efficiently as possible because trying to start and play games during that time will suck and we do have to regularly do that to test things as well. Might be nice to get a chance to clear out all my old saves again though ;)
    Will definitely be the time to address that too, yes.