1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Version 40 Design Cycle Plans

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Thunderbrd, Jul 21, 2019.

1. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

I guess I could start renaming things and put it as modmod as I finish off categories.

Also units and buildings could be done last since this stuff could be stepping on anq toes.

We have:
    941 Technologies
    2076 Units (723 are regular)
    1111 Promotions + 139 Buildups + 14 Statuses
    5651 Buildings (2930 are regular ones)
    118/348/441 Map/Manufactured/Culture Resources
    100 Terrains
    65 Features/22 Natural Wonders
    189 Improvements
    19 Routes
    55/118 Civilizations/Leaders
    316 Traits
    175 Civics
    29 Religions
    299 Worker Builds

Some buildings and units are commented out.

2. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Warlord

Do you want to check those all out by yourself or would you rather divide the task?

3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

I would divide task - you could take all units, promotions and buildings.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  4. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Warlord

Alright, I'll wait for Anq to finish his work first.

raxo2222 likes this.
  5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

How far out are you from the tech tree update?

6. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Warlord

It's 2 days away if I dedicate the entire day to it. Paused it for a bit because I reverted a week of work by mistake some time ago and was focusing on some tasks at my workplace.

I'll continue now that v39 is out.

raxo2222 and Thunderbrd like this.
  7. billw2015

billw2015 Chieftain

Optimization: turn time of course but also things effecting UI fluidity in game as well, like the freezes when switching units (mostly down to PLE I think), clicking on cities etc. For turn time I'm going to start by looking at structural changes to how the AI makes decisions, and for opportunities to waste less time recalculating things that only change slowly or infrequently over time. For UI I'm going to see what I'm missing with ppio and then go from there if there is anything further that can be improved, and that I am capable of improving.
    I also had a brief convo on discord in relation to how Rev might be resurrected as an alternative to smaller-is-bigger (is that the name?) but operating the other way, and in a much more limited fashion that the AI won't get so bemused about (hopefully). It is only a thought of a thought so far but I'm just getting it out there. So I might look at that.

Anq, MattCA and KaTiON_PT like this.
  8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I'll keep in mind that you may be interested in collaborating with me on improving interface performance.
    I've seen cases where dll limitations makes it hard to write effective python code. Can't remember any details of the ideas I got from seeing that, or what I saw exactly, though now I may holler on you when I again see things that could be improved significantly with some dll modifications, instead of ignoring it knowing that TB has more pressing matters than exploring interface performance coding with me all the time. ^^

Anq and billw2015 like this.
  9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I want to say it is Tremendously refreshing to see more coders (C++, python?) working together to help the mod. And relieve some of the pressure Off T-brd.

If you all can get standard size maps with 8 AI to get into Ren Era without 6+ minute End of Turn (EoT) waits, That would be Fantastic!

Just some of the work done already has helped the Preh Era times up thru late Ancient Era. But as I hit 20 cities in a race with another Empire that has 21 (and is trying to cut me off) the turn times for late Ancient are back up the 2 min 30+ seconds EoT wait times again. Hopefully they will stay around 3 minutes thru Classical era and not go into 4 minute EoT waits.

10. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

I would like to
    • fix Slavery, Cannibalism and Human Sacrifice. It looks like it can be fixed by moving 90% of it into core. It looks like the last 10% breaks saves so it would move when we do that.
    • get all religions out of core and optional, fully add Dreamtime. Fix that [pissed] Holy Mountain Event bug. This would get religions into a state that I could actually start on the changes Praetyr(sp?) and I have suggested. Including limiting the number of available Religions by Game Speed.

• Mine Warfare

• Afflictions and Outbreaks

• Platy-BUG Plus UI Screens

11. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

What is wrong with that event/quest?

I fixed some bugs with the holy mountain events back in rev. 10581.
    The quest was never tied to any plots on the map, so it was impossible to build a city close to the non-existing plot.
    I tested my fix in-game, seemed alright to me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  12. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

For it to actually work correctly with all the religions in C2C there basically needs to be one per religion. This is because the religions are not the same and don't all have temples, monastaries and cathedrals,. Some have multiple of one type some have none. This can cause problems with the calculations.

13. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

True, that is one shortcoming in the current event/quest paradigm.

14. Anq

Anq Chieftain

For your information, Alberts is transforming the way to index all BuildingInfos. They are going to be allocated a hash number based on the Type string, eg. int hash("BUILDING_PISA"), instead of a enumeration number that reflects the order in which they are loaded. Therefore rearranging building items alone in the xml is not going to break saves anymore. Changing the Type identifier, however, will affect the hash result and break save games after he's implemented the hash-based solution. Interestingly, if we correct their names at this stage, we're not breaking saves because Buildings are presently referenced by the order they are loaded.

So we'd like to finish this review before Alberts2's hash-based system kicks in.

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Interesting... I didn't think it did break anything to reorder things now. I'll have to see the coding differences to get it I think.

16. alberts2

alberts2 Chieftain

Changes to the Type identifier break save compatiblity now as well that wont change.

Reordering doesn't break saves the old id is remapped to the new id but not all Cv*Info types have remapping code.

Anq likes this.
  17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Well - it removes that item from the game and doesn't replace it, which can cause some unfortunate things to take place but not usually a crash on trying to open the save.

18. Anq

Anq Chieftain

Thanks for your clarification here. I wasn't aware of this remapping process!

19. Snofru1

Snofru1 Chieftain

Wouldn´t the finishing of Vokarya's World Wonders be a great project for @raxo2222 :) ?

20. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Well no idea what should be done here.